Opinion Rise of the Magpie

Remove this Banner Ad

They are both awesome birds to have around. So smart.

There are Kookaburras near where I work. They go after each other ...

... but more often than not it's their own reflection in my office window. It causes an almighty bang! Happens a four - five times a day in season.

Awesome? - yes
Tough? - yes
Smart? - not so sure about that

There are Kookaburras near where I work. They go after each other ...

... but more often than not it's their own reflection in my office window. It causes an almighty bang! Happens a four - five times a day in season.

Awesome? - yes
Tough? - yes
Smart? - not so sure about that
I haven't IQ tested them but they seem smart in a bird context anyway. Maybe they are just having fun scaring the crap out of office workers. Keeping you guys awake! They are known to have a sense of humour.

Not sure about the rest of you but I feel slightly more aggrieved being swooped because I'm a Collingwood supporter.

Even worse when you're actually wearing club apparel!

Bloody birds should look after us and attack Carlton supporters at will.
You should see what they do to Carlton supporters... not pleasant

The family of magpies on my property have been having an ongoing territorial war with a family of Kookaburras. Recently they seem to have found an uneasy peace. Seems they've reached a compromise and are now just settling for what they have. The kookaburras are still fighting with the Indian minors though. My cat doesn't give a s**t about any of this.
My cat is on her last legs (cancer). The crow has scared off the magpies. The Indian mynahs give me the shits.

The next 2 years will be the years of media speculation about when Bucks gets the sack, that's the reality.

It hasn't happened yet so it can't be a reality.

If we get off to a good start, the media, and some BF posters, will be shut down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about the rest of you but I feel slightly more aggrieved being swooped because I'm a Collingwood supporter.

Even worse when you're actually wearing club apparel!

Bloody birds should look after us and attack Carlton supporters at will.
The Carlton supporters have their own mascot issues this time of year too.
They are a statistically higher chance of suffering from mental illness and depression, known as 'the blues' in September.

And what part of this thread isn't pretty obvious?
I didn't know that some magpies swoop the nads. That's news to me. Would be quite a spectacle. Cheer up, it's spring, time for new birth and optimism. Let's revert to the doomsaying at 0 - 3...

They are both awesome birds to have around. So smart. The magpies never swoop me or my family. They know we live there. I've hand fed some of them and the kooks like to follow me around when I'm gardening.

Not commonly known, but the majority of nesting Magpies don't swoop at all. It's an aggressive minority that give the species that reputation.

As a kid I would be terrorised by an aggressive group of maggies each spring. They'd nest right on my only route from home to school and I was terrified of them.

Conversely I've had maggies in my house looking for a feed (that they rarely got... we would occasionally feed them earthworms but that took away from our trout bait supplies), in my car for some reason and my dad had one that would perch on his finger.

They're great characters. Love them.

Oh and I very much think that if we do improve next year we will at least go very close to finals, given how many close losses we had this year. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen I guess.

Not commonly known, but the majority of nesting Magpies don't swoop at all. It's an aggressive minority that give the species that reputation.

As a kid I would be terrorised by an aggressive group of maggies each spring. They'd nest right on my only route from home to school and I was terrified of them.

Conversely I've had maggies in my house looking for a feed (that they rarely got... we would occasionally feed them earthworms but that took away from our trout bait supplies), in my car for some reason and my dad had one that would perch on his finger.

They're great characters. Love them.

Oh and I very much think that if we do improve next year we will at least go very close to finals, given how many close losses we had this year. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen I guess.
I went camping down at Bimbi Park in the Otways last year and there is a very aggressive magpie within the camping ground. On the way back from the toilets it swooped one of the kids and opened a nasty gash on her head. Had to take her to casualty in Anglesea. Fortunately was able to couple that with a visit to the Prickly Moses brewery.

This sounds eerily like "the roll" that someone mentioned in the Buckley thread around about the time of the Freo win. Hopefully this opinion does not fall to the same fate

This sounds eerily like "the roll" that someone mentioned in the Buckley thread around about the time of the Freo win. Hopefully this opinion does not fall to the same fate
Two more years of 'roll' related threads to come. Sooner or later I'm bound to be proven correct.

Improvement to me over the next 12 months looks like the following:

- A new president
- A brand of footy I can enjoy watching again
- A fresh in your face attitude
- A new president
- An investment in the next generation
- An end to the disharmony

I think there's scope for a lot of improvement with a new president. I don't rate the coach, but I do at least acknowledge that he's prepared to anything to improve his and the clubs performance.

Improve field kicking and improve the midfields ability to run both ways and we can easily win 4-5 more games next year , add to the fact we should get an easier draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back