Multiplat Rise of the Tomb Raider

Remove this Banner Ad

This comment feels very forced for some reason.

Tomb Raider has two next gen games out whilst Uncharted has none. Are you just getting in early for when the new Uncharted comes out and potentially destroys Tomb Raider?

The only thing "next gen" will change about these 2 series is graphics.

Tomb Raider is a better videogame. Everything that makes a videogame a game, is better in Tomb Raider. Gunplay, movement, environment design, mission structure/world design, progression and crafting.

Uncharted has better cut scenes due to better voice/mo cap acting.

The only thing "next gen" will change about these 2 series is graphics.

Tomb Raider is a better videogame. Everything that makes a videogame a game, is better in Tomb Raider. Gunplay, movement, environment design, mission structure/world design, progression and crafting.

Uncharted has better cut scenes due to better voice/mo cap acting.

So you are comparing the brand new just released Tomb Raider game to a series without a new game since 2011?

We've had two TR games in two years (no need to mention the other complete turds released using Lara Croft in the last few years) granted the last one was enjoyable but it's comparison is an Uncharted game released in 2011. You are now comparing a brand new just released TR game as well to a series we've had no new release with for four years.

It makes no sense to compare them at all at this stage until the new Uncharted comes out, unless this is because you don't have a PS4 so you are just getting in early with superiority because you can't or won't be playing the new Uncharted...

So you are comparing the brand new just released Tomb Raider game to a series without a new game since 2011?

We've had two TR games in two years (no need to mention the other complete turds released using Lara Croft in the last few years) granted the last one was enjoyable but it's comparison is an Uncharted game released in 2011. You are now comparing a brand new just released TR game as well to a series we've had no new release with for four years.

It makes no sense to compare them at all at this stage until the new Uncharted comes out, unless this is because you don't have a PS4 so you are just getting in early with superiority because you can't or won't be playing the new Uncharted...

Aren't you on my PSN friend list? I mean, I've plastered this place with photos of my setup. I clearly have a PS4. As I said, the "comparing a new game to an old one" thing doesn't really hold up much. How different is rise of the tomb raider really compared to the old one? It's got better graphics. That's it. Same will go for Unchartred 4. It will effectively be a better looking version of Uncharted 2/3. Maybe some nicer set pieces. Most games these days are just better looking versions of their predecessors.

I can talk about how much better Tomb Raider 2013 is than Uncharted 3 if it makes you feel better. Because I thought that back then too. Dude, I'm talking about the core stuff that makes a game. Tomb Raider just does it better. But feel free to go through my PSN profile, Shpeshal_Ed. Youll fine platinum trophies for all 3 Uncharted games so I feel confident in my ability to judge them against direct competition. The original of which also came out on PlayStation 3.

This isn't some console wars thing. Tomb Raider as a series is better. Same way the Last of Us is better than Uncharted. Again, the actual stuff that makes it a GAME (as opposed to a bunch of really good cutscenes interrupted by some average shooting parts) is far better in TLoU.

Aren't you on my PSN friend list? I mean, I've plastered this place with photos of my setup. I clearly have a PS4. As I said, the "comparing a new game to an old one" thing doesn't really hold up much. How different is rise of the tomb raider really compared to the old one? It's got better graphics. That's it. Same will go for Unchartred 4. It will effectively be a better looking version of Uncharted 2/3. Maybe some nicer set pieces. Most games these days are just better looking versions of their predecessors.

I can talk about how much better Tomb Raider 2013 is than Uncharted 3 if it makes you feel better. Because I thought that back then too. Dude, I'm talking about the core stuff that makes a game. Tomb Raider just does it better. But feel free to go through my PSN profile, Shpeshal_Ed. Youll fine platinum trophies for all 3 Uncharted games so I feel confident in my ability to judge them against direct competition. The original of which also came out on PlayStation 3.

This isn't some console wars thing. Tomb Raider as a series is better. Same way the Last of Us is better than Uncharted. Again, the actual stuff that makes it a GAME (as opposed to a bunch of really good cutscenes interrupted by some average shooting parts) is far better in TLoU.

I have heaps of psn friends, I can't keep track of them all.

You're entitled to your opinion, I myself have played a grand total of around 90 mins of Uncharted in my life which was the first one and I hated it, I only can go on user and "expert" reviews that have Uncharted well in front of Tomb Raider as far as games go. I just think it comes across as very fanboyish to say TR shits all over Uncharted now when the next gen Uncharted hasn't even arrived.

Comparing TR 2013 to UC3 would also make no sense, it's two years between releases and one of them (TR) was ready for next gen so rightfully it should be better.

I've played most TR games and I'd have TLoU well in front of any TR game ever made, just the perfect 10/10 game for mine.

TR as a series two years ago was basically dead, where as Uncharted was critically acclaimed and will be one of the most anticipated games on next gen.

I also own both consoles and I have next to no interest in purchasing the new TR even though I enjoyed the last one, however that may have been because it cost me $20.

See above. However at least the TR reboot was out in 2013, same year as next gen. The last Uncharted was 2011.

It was developed for last gen consoles just like Uncharted, then "ported" over to current gen adding graphical and other enhancements. Just like Uncharted.

It was developed for last gen consoles just like Uncharted, then "ported" over to current gen adding graphical and other enhancements. Just like Uncharted.

The last TR upgrades were minimal for next gen port, they would have had access to the next gen specs whilst developing the PS3 version just like any game developer prior to the XB1 and PS4 release. They always planned on porting it. It also released on PC at the same time.

All the Uncharted games wouldn't have had that access but pushed the PS3s capabilities to the maximum at the time, this is why the TLoU port was fairly easy for ND to bring across to next gen.

TR as a series two years ago was basically dead, where as Uncharted was critically acclaimed and will be one of the most anticipated games on next gen.
Makes the resurrection and the constant comparisons with a highly regarded series like Uncharted all the more impressive in my view.

Makes the resurrection and the constant comparisons with a highly regarded series like Uncharted all the more impressive in my view.

I'm not sure that works for the comparisons, just means they have copied that format that has worked for another developer.

The reboot was a breath of fresh air for the series but it wasn't ground breaking in any way. Just a good solid game involving a beloved character.

Until the new Uncharted actually comes out it's pointless saying one shits on the other but by general consensus as far as the series go it's UC>>>>TR.

Good luck to both.

Played about 2 hours lastnight. It has some elements they have taken from Uncharted and same with structure. Felt the opening scene would of been more epic if it started with you climbing the Ice wall but that might be too much like Uncharted 2. The writing is still quite bad. The flashbacks to Lara as a little kid are nice but makes it feel like it should of been a reboot rather then the 2nd game with finally giving her a backstory. Some of the story is dumb right now, Lara kills like 20 people and then she finally decides to take one of the guns. the first Tomb was easy which was a little disappointing. I like the idea of Learning new languages but could become a bad thing for people who dont want to look around for scripts so they can read a pillar. Crafting seems like it could be cool for upgrading things, much like Far Cry. some of the animations are just poor, i dont know how many times i died because Lara jumped to the side and not up like i controlled it to do.

The Animal AI is just poor they never stop and run the same 2-3 patterns. Enemy AI is not integrated with bushes until you kill them.

Also wasnt Jonah just the cook in the first game? now he is climbing mountains in Serbia with you.

I hope Crystal Dynamics dont get hit with layoffs because of how bad its selling and the dumb deal Square and MS made.

I hope Crystal Dynamics dont get hit with layoffs because of how bad its selling and the dumb deal Square and MS made.
Real shame since they did a great job with the series but assuming this game was close to the development cost of the last game and with how sales are doing it's very unlikely they will get a third game.

Real shame since they did a great job with the series but assuming this game was close to the development cost of the last game and with how sales are doing it's very unlikely they will get a third game.

It will need to sell more on PC in Feb and hope the sales numbers were bad enough to void the 12-month deal and have it on released early on PS4 like in June/July. In the UK it sold 42K in the first week, the Reboot on PS3/360/PC sold 185K in the first week. after 2 weeks RotTR sold about 70K including bundles against the Reboots which had 230K in the first 2 weeks. Fallout 4 sold 482K in the first week.

It was always going to do bad as soon as the exclusive deal was announced as 12 months before it hits PS4. and then it came out the same day as Fallout. I dont see it getting close to the numbers they hoped for after the deal was made.

I think they will get another game but i expect layoffs at Crystal which sucks because they had no say in the deal and seemed pissed about it when it was announced. Hopefully if they get another game they get a better writer.

That's disappointing to hear, really is as the 2013 tomb raider was unreal IMO and this one (which I'm yet to play) looks just as good, if not better. Being Xbox exclusive and coming out right next to one of the biggest games to hit in recent times in Fallout 4 didn't help one bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found this on Neogaf
Sales in the UK.

Week 1 RoTR ~42k X360 and Xbox One
Week 1 RoTR ~35k Xbox One only
Week 1 The Order ~39k PS4 only

Week 2 RoTR ~26k X360 and Xbox One
Week 2 RoTR ~ 22k Xbox One only (assuming same 85/15 split as week 1)
Week 2 The Order ~17k PS4 Only

And RoTR was in a black Friday 2 for £50 deal with Halo 5, Forza 6, Gears and Batman

Its disappointing but expected its selling this bad in the 2nd strongest market behind the US, and selling just as poor in all the other markets. This was the main reason i Xbox One this week.

It wont make much money on PC next year or on PS4 whenever it gets released, and thats sad because what i have played so far its a good game. Just killed by a bad deal.

For me, even a release early next year would have been better. Be the game behemoth of the month and avoid going up against bloody Fallout 4 of all things. So disappointing for such an extremely high quality game.

The idea to release it same day as fallout and around blops 3 was always gonna end badly.

Yeah it was a horrible call. Tomb Raider is brilliant in its own right but up against Fallout 4 and even COD (purely because of its huge following), was always going to struggle. If it was released in early 2016, like the previous one was in 2013, it would've sold really well as not many big games would be releasing around that time.

I wasn't fussed it's a brilliant game that I thoroughly enjoyed.

You should be fussed though, if the game flops financially than that affects future installments.

I think its initial sales have been hurt of course, but it will sell very well on PC and PS4. I expect a nice bump for Christmas too.

The game has received basically all positive acclaim from anyone that has played it, everywhere you look online people are saying how good it is and others cant wait to pick it up. Everyone knows that its a great game, they know the developer did well, its just this damn deal and release date.

If anything this could be the wake up call for the industry that it doesn't matter how good your game is, if you release at the wrong time or chuck in exclusive deals people will not buy your game.

anecdotally I know 9-10 mates who are getting it for Christmas on Xbox. About that number again are PS4 users and are furious they have to wait for the game. They will buy it, but they hate the deal that much they were never going to buy an Xbox just to play it.

I think its initial sales have been hurt of course, but it will sell very well on PC and PS4. I expect a nice bump for Christmas too.

The game has received basically all positive acclaim from anyone that has played it, everywhere you look online people are saying how good it is and others cant wait to pick it up. Everyone knows that its a great game, they know the developer did well, its just this damn deal and release date.

If anything this could be the wake up call for the industry that it doesn't matter how good your game is, if you release at the wrong time or chuck in exclusive deals people will not buy your game.

anecdotally I know 9-10 mates who are getting it for Christmas on Xbox. About that number again are PS4 users and are furious they have to wait for the game. They will buy it, but they hate the deal that much they were never going to buy an Xbox just to play it.

Yeah it's not worth buying a system to play it, I actually own an XB1 but I'm content to wait until the PS4 release, I'll then be content to wait until I think it's a good price, certainly won't be paying full price for a game a year old.

So you've got an Xbox but you're still going to wait a year to play it on PS4?!?:drunk:

Yes.

I only played the last one because it was like $20 or so on the PS store. It's not a game series that I consider a must play. I'll wait for it to be cheap and on my preferred system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back