Multiplat Rise of the Tomb Raider

Remove this Banner Ad

I own both consoles and its a s**t move. I'm not sure of the reasoning because it's going to get destroyed by Uncharted 4 regardless, that much is guaranteed. What i don't understand is they made the effort to reboot the series, it sells better on Sony consoles and PC, 2 systems that have been home to the series from its roots and now those gamers are denied the chance to support the series going forward :confused:.

MS would've had to have paid a ridiculous amount for exclusivity because CD are throwing away a tonne of money in lost sales. I dont blame CD, I'm sure they looked at the sales figures and knew where the core fan base was but how do you turn down trucks of money in this day and age? Classic MS though, "why fund something new or buy some first party studio talent to make the next big thing when we can offer money to deny majority of the gaming world a chance to play an established series"

I'll buy it and i'll enjoy the 912p 30fps as best i can. I would rather have had the choice to buy it on more powerful hardware tbh.

Even to go as low as to denying PC gamers the chance to play it.....just wow, MS in full desperation mode for X1 sales.

I reckon it'll end up being timed for 6 months or so. There's no way a company could be that stupid with a big franchise. If they are then oh well, vale TR, Uncharted is the action adventure king anyway.

I find there are a lot of contradictory views on the whole thing.

Sure spending the money on in-house studios seems far more ethical and consumer-friendly, but while they already have a heap of 1st party games, sometimes you have to admit that you don't have a game in the works that can compete with the competition (Uncharted), so you find another way to compete (buy Tomb Raider).

I see on the internet there is a lot of hate towards MS and Square Enix etc. over the deal, if Sony had done the same thing (being an X1 gamer), I wouldn't be annoyed at them. I'd be ****** that MS dropped the ball and got outplayed again.

I don't put any blame on MS for this, It's a great get for them and it's something that they can't be faulted for doing. What SE are basically saying is that they're happy to go the 'safer' route of just having MS pay them rather than having their game on multiple consoles and getting out to as much people as is possible, which is basically a huge middle finger to their community.

i dont know why a mod changed the pre-fix to XB1. its still multi plat because its also on x360 or did they cancel that version.

Pretty sure it was confirmed as next gen only at E3 wasn't it?

I don't mind it having a XB1 prefix. Because it isn't really multiplat at this point

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

However, he declined to confirm how long that duration is set for.

Last night, during its Gamescom press conference, Microsoft and Square Enix made the surprise announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox. That, Spencer confirmed, means Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Quote for the lazy who dont click the above link. Series redeemed slightly, now I'll wait and play it in glorious 1080p @ 60fps on PS4.

Microsoft have done so much right since the orginal announcement. Console gets better and the exclusives get better.

Yeah they have, even if this is just 6 month of exclusivity it's a good get.
I'll be picking it up, also still need to play Definitive Edition of the last one.

So I should be able to play Uncharted 4 on my XB1?
Gaming industry is a business and it needs exclusives as competition is good for it.

Uncharted was an IP in which Sony directly funded from the outset, Tomb Raider is an IP Microsoft have BOUGHT in order to directly stop people from playing it. Huge difference.

How can someone be such a Sony fanboy and hate Uncharted ?

Would love to know your reasons as to how I am a Sony fanboy?

Will be more fun for me when I rip your opinion to shreds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to know your reasons as to how I am a Sony fanboy?

Will be more fun for me when I rip your opinion to shreds.

lol!

attachment.php

It's a fair question, I own a Wii U along with my PS4 and am just waiting for a good bundle to buy the XB1. Not sure how that makes me a Sony fanboy.

So I should be able to play Uncharted 4 on my XB1?
Gaming industry is a business and it needs exclusives as competition is good for it.
No Sony created the Naughty Dog we know today, from it being a 6 man studio to being one of the worlds leading gaming developers, Tomb Raider is the polar opposite, this was a game which always going to be made, already had a developer already has it's own publisher, what exactly is Microsoft doing to make this game better? That's the whole point of exclusive is for a company to be a publisher and push the game beyond what it would of been or make a studio bigger to pump out bigger and better game down the line.

This type of exclusive is poisonous and has no advantage for anyone, even worse when we know it's only timed. Yet another pretend exclusive, Ryse, DeadRising, Plant vs Zombies, Tomb Raider, Titanfall all those game Microsoft has paid not to be better but to avoid Playstation, that's shitty and not healthy for the industry. It's not just Microsoft who are guilty of this let's that be known but this s**t flinging really needs to stop.

No Sony created the Naughty Dog we know today, from it being a 6 man studio to being one of the worlds leading gaming developers, Tomb Raider is the polar opposite, this was a game which always going to be made, already had a developer already has it's own publisher, what exactly is Microsoft doing to make this game better? That's the whole point of exclusive is for a company to be a publisher and push the game beyond what it would of been or make a studio bigger to pump out bigger and better game down the line.

This type of exclusive is poisonous and has no advantage for anyone, even worse when we know it's only timed. Yet another pretend exclusive, Ryse, DeadRising, Plant vs Zombies, Tomb Raider, Titanfall all those game Microsoft has paid not to be better but to avoid Playstation, that's shitty and not healthy for the industry. It's not just Microsoft who are guilty of this let's that be known but this s**t flinging really needs to stop.
To be fair, Ryse was fully funded by MS, the others may not have been, but Ryse wouldn't have been made otherwise. Granted, it was still one of the downfalls of Crytek.

Ryse was funded by MS, DR3 and TF probably wouldn't exist without them.

Ryse was funded by MS, DR3 and TF probably wouldn't exist without them.
Ryse yes, the other 2 would of been, Titanfall even had early ps4 model builds and the developers didn't even know about the deal until late, capcom always lie out their arse and you would never known what truly happened behind closed doors.

Ryse yes, the other 2 would of been, Titanfall even had early ps4 model builds and the developers didn't even know about the deal until late, capcom always lie out their arse and you would never known what truly happened behind closed doors.

The legal battle with Activision - sparked by claims of royalties owed to ex-Infinity Ward heads Vince Zampella and Jason West - was a continual drain. According to several staffers, West grew increasingly detached from the project and the rest of the team - he eventually left Respawn in May 2012. Respawn settled its lawsuit with Activision out of court in June 2012, but was obliged to ask publisher EA for more funds in the fall. The project had become "a massive economic problem", according to EA's then-CEO John Riccitiello.

Titanfall was planned as a timed Xbox and PC exclusive, due to a shortage of manpower and resources: according to Zampella, the console version would have been Xbox-only for 13 months. EA had other ideas, however. Here's the relevant excerpt:

In order to make the economics work and keep Titanfall alive, EA needed a first-party publisher to invest. Xbox was willing to step up and save the project, which turned out to be a wise bet. Xbox now has one of the biggest games of the year as an exclusive to its platforms, although it lays no claim to any sequels.

http://www.totalxbox.com/75303/microsoft-saved-titanfall-from-cancellation-claims-report/

As gamers we should be against exclusives, they're s**t.
i understand the argument against exclusives, particularly for those who don't have the means or want to buy multiple consoles. personally i think that gaming was a bit more interesting when the different consoles and PC gaming each offered a whole raft of unique titles and experiences which defined each console or generation of PC gaming. nowadays the consoles are distinguished by relatively so few titles that it almost solely these few games that that come to defining those systems.

i walk into an eb these days and, aside from the wii u, it's pretty much the same s**t on every shelf.

Most people are less concerned about not being able to play the game, and more about what will happen to the gaming industry if this becomes commonplace. While we can't know the figures, Microsoft would have had to pay an absolute shitload of money for the rights to the exclusivity. Money that could have been used to generate a new, ground-breaking IP; money that could have been used to help bring some originality; money that could have aided the fight against the same old games making money out of re-titling and re-wrapping the same games over and over again. If Sony and Microsoft engaging in bidding wars for multi-platform franchises becomes common, the industry is in enormous trouble. It takes money out of the system, takes money out of new IPs, takes money out of existing projects that can further the development of the industry, and most of all, gives ridiculous sums of money to these developers who will continue to play favourites, ensuring they bid companies up as high as possible and taking both money out of the industry, and ensuring that a decent chunk of games are unavailable to gamers because the other company paid through the teeth to let their side play.

I don't care that I don't get to play the game. As you said, if I was desperate for it, I'd buy an X1. If it pays off I think it's a clever strategy by Microsoft to compete with Uncharted, and I'm gathering CD made a healthy sum of cash from it as well. No issue with either party. My issue is with the message it sends and the dangers of this becoming commonplace.
exclusivity and sequelitis are two different things. the original bioshock for instance was a "new, ground-breaking IP" that was also an xbox console exclusive at the time.

i don't buy the argument that they are 'taking money out of the system' either. the money isn't going to be pissed up the wall; it's going towards ensuring the guaranteed development of a sequel of game where the publisher has been vocal expressing how poor the game performed initially sales-wise. personally i think the game was pretty much a lock to be made, with or without the microsoft funding, but who knows if they would have maybe received a smaller budget from squarenix and without this deal it may have hampered the quality of the end result.

and who knows if this money was "taken away" from the development of "ground-breaking new IPs"; for all we know it could be funds taken away from the development of gears of war 8. in fact, i'd say that whats more likely is that microsoft would run funding models with funds designated for sequels or safer/sure bets-type games and funds designated to the development of new IPs that have higher risks of success. given they are funding new IPs from remedy (which sure looks like it needed a few $), insominac, moon studios, capybara etc. i don't think they are necessarily lacking in that respect as a result of buying tomb raider exclusivity for six months.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back