Multiplat Rise of the Tomb Raider

Remove this Banner Ad

You believe all of that? I find it pretty cute. You do understand how quick and easy it is to port game when it's built from the ground up on the pc right?

That's all from Respawn employees, I don't know how you can say that it's BS and not provide any facts.

Yes theyre going to come and say Microsoft just rolled by our office and dropped off a massive stack of cash:drunk:

Why does this bother you so much?

It doesn't, I was just correcting you.:drunk:

No Sony created the Naughty Dog we know today, from it being a 6 man studio to being one of the worlds leading gaming developers, Tomb Raider is the polar opposite, this was a game which always going to be made, already had a developer already has it's own publisher, what exactly is Microsoft doing to make this game better? That's the whole point of exclusive is for a company to be a publisher and push the game beyond what it would of been or make a studio bigger to pump out bigger and better game down the line.

This type of exclusive is poisonous and has no advantage for anyone, even worse when we know it's only timed. Yet another pretend exclusive, Ryse, DeadRising, Plant vs Zombies, Tomb Raider, Titanfall all those game Microsoft has paid not to be better but to avoid Playstation, that's shitty and not healthy for the industry. It's not just Microsoft who are guilty of this let's that be known but this s**t flinging really needs to stop.

Yeah...It's bloody shithouse when they do this!

Originally Posted by Press Release - September 18th, 1997

FOSTER CITY, CALIF., USA - Sony Computer Entertainment America announced today that the Tomb Raider(TM) franchise, featuring leading character Lara Croft, will be exclusive to the PlayStation(TM) for game consoles.

Released in November 1996, the original Tomb Raider game from Eidos Interactive and Core Design, was one of the best-selling videogames of all time with more than 1.5 million units sold for the PlayStation game console worldwide. Marking its one-year anniversary with a highly-anticipated sequel, Tomb Raider 2 is scheduled for release in November 1997.

"Core Design and EIDOS have created the most successful original product in years that became a number one hit on PlayStation in the U.S. and Europe last year," said Phil Harrison, vice president, third party relations, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "The PlayStation console is the undisputed world-leader in videogaming and it is appropriate that two leaders in their field should partner up in this way for Tomb Raider."

"Given the worldwide domination of the PlayStation system, it's a natural for Eidos to partner with Sony Computer Entertainment America and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe," said Mike McGarvey, chief operating officer, Eidos Interactive. "We want our best-selling franchise to reach the greatest number of consumers and the PlayStation and its powerful CD-ROM software format satisfies this demand. The fact that the PlayStation will be the only game console on which you can enjoy the Tomb Raider franchise is a great statement for the platform."

About Eidos Interactive
Eidos Interactive develops and publishes interactive entertainment products for the PC, Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Macintosh and Internet. Eidos Interactive is part of Eidos plc (Nasdaq:EIDSY), which includes Eidos Technologies, a software-based video compression and decompression company, Glassworks, a state-of-the-art post-production facility specializing in digital effects and video editing for the television and advertising industries, and an independent record label called Naked Records.

About Sony Computer Entertainment America
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. distributes and markets the PlayStation game console for North America, develops and publishes software for the PlayStation game console, and manages the U.S. third party licensing program. Based in Foster City, Calif., Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Visit us on the Web at http://www.playstation.com .

http://www.tombnews.com/news/1997/09/1801/

Final Fantasy is probably one of the more noted examples of this type of thing (even though they weren't timed exclusives).

Even if their shift was because of a faltering relationship with Nintendo and the fact that the PSX had a CD which was more useful for them than a cartridge.

Regardless, the business model from Microsoft was fine to do and it even makes a lot of sense for them. All 3 of the console publishers have done this before.

Whether it being Nintendo with Capcom in the Gamecube era securing a bunch of new IP & holding a stranglehold over the Resident Evil series until late in the generation.

Sony did it most notably in the PS2 era. Quickly signing contracts with Rockstar following the breakout success of GTAIII, Sony secured that & Vice City as console exclusives for a 24 month period. Eventually rearranging the contract in late 2003, letting Vice City & GTAIII appear on Xbox as part of the Double Pack in order to secure 6 months or so of exclusivity for GTA San Andreas.

Microsoft returned the favour in 2008 when they paid $50 million for the GTAIV expansion timed exclusivity.

So any complaining here saying Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft are evil for doing it whilst company X isn't is bullshit because they have all done it and all of them have done it with bigger names than Tomb Raider (which is still a huge name).

It does suck that it won't be appearing everywhere in 2015, but as long as it is appearing everywhere eventually no one is getting significantly hurt.

I don't man. I don't get fanboys. Get both consoles if you wanna play all the games. Otherwise just be happy with what you have. If you're that mad you can't play a game and you have to resort to knocking the company or console for a strategic marketing move then you are a really silly person.
No worries moneybags......

Final Fantasy is probably one of the more noted examples of this type of thing (even though they weren't timed exclusives).

Even if their shift was because of a faltering relationship with Nintendo and the fact that the PSX had a CD which was more useful for them than a cartridge.

Regardless, the business model from Microsoft was fine to do and it even makes a lot of sense for them. All 3 of the console publishers have done this before.

Whether it being Nintendo with Capcom in the Gamecube era securing a bunch of new IP & holding a stranglehold over the Resident Evil series until late in the generation.

Sony did it most notably in the PS2 era. Quickly signing contracts with Rockstar following the breakout success of GTAIII, Sony secured that & Vice City as console exclusives for a 24 month period. Eventually rearranging the contract in late 2003, letting Vice City & GTAIII appear on Xbox as part of the Double Pack in order to secure 6 months or so of exclusivity for GTA San Andreas.

Microsoft returned the favour in 2008 when they paid $50 million for the GTAIV expansion timed exclusivity.

So any complaining here saying Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft are evil for doing it whilst company X isn't is bullshit because they have all done it and all of them have done it with bigger names than Tomb Raider (which is still a huge name).

It does suck that it won't be appearing everywhere in 2015, but as long as it is appearing everywhere eventually no one is getting significantly hurt.

Best post of the thread. :thumbsu:

No has though, we're all aware every company has done it in the past but the trend is getting worse, every single third party game released so far this generation has been mauled with either timed dlc crap, bonus missions, or delayed releases on other platforms and I'm sick of it. Exclusive games and content is meant to reward you for buying x console not punish you for not buying it. It's exactly the reason I didn't buy Watch Dog and it will be the reason I avoid future titles.

6d2c162474f0dbbfc1ce2f0dae634d77.jpg

I miss the days when everyone had a Playstation and that made console wars irrelevant because there was no competition. Didnt even effect the quality of games we got either, Sony were absolutely brutal during the PS1 & PS2 years. Things like exclusive deals weren't even an issue, everyone got to play them due to owning one. Even the most hardcore of Xbox 360/One fans had a Playstation at some stage and if they didn't, then there was probably something mentally wrong with them anyway :p

I miss the days when everyone had a Playstation and that made console wars irrelevant because there was no competition. Didnt even effect the quality of games we got either, Sony were absolutely brutal during the PS1 & PS2 years. Things like exclusive deals weren't even an issue, everyone got to play them due to owning one. Even the most hardcore of Xbox 360/One fans had a Playstation at some stage and if they didn't, then there was probably something mentally wrong with them anyway :p

I had a PS1 slim and it broke. They wouldn't replace it. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Valid points but lets not forget the PS1 & PS2 basically had no competition, those exclusives coming to other consoles wouldn't of made much of a difference in console sale figures. Didn't PS2 win by like 90 mill or something ridiculous? A lot of stuff not coming to N64 was definitely due to cartridge vs CD. Had Nintendo went CD, things would've turned out very differently.

Valid points but lets not forget the PS1 & PS2 basically had no competition, those exclusives coming to other consoles wouldn't of made much of a difference in console sale figures. Didn't PS2 win by like 90 mill or something ridiculous? A lot of stuff not coming to N64 was definitely due to cartridge vs CD. Had Nintendo went CD, things would've turned out very differently.

Sony was a juggernaut for most of those two generations, especially the PS2 generation. But when they signed the first GTA deal it was to a smart business move considering 2 new consoles launched in between GTAIII & Vice City and you couldn't get those games anywhere else. I actually think GTA was a bigger deal back then than it was now, because they were just completely shredding the competition on a more regular basis.

I was simply trying to use some of the more notable examples from all 3 over the last decade or so, just to show how commonplace it was. I think we are now in an era where if it is third party we expect it on every console so when it isn't. It confuses the fanbase, especially something like Tomb Raider who 4 generations ago was the most prominent figure in Playstation gaming bar maybe Crash.

But it really is no more weird than Resident Evil 4 being Gamecube only for a year and that was a much bigger deal at the time. Mainly because it was originally meant to be for life and Resident Evil 4 was a contender for game of the generation.

I definitely agree that a lot of the PS1 exclusives were just there out of convenience and because there was a significant difference between CD vs Cartridge.

Closer to 130 million :eek:

I definitely agree that a lot of the PS1 exclusives were just there out of convenience and because there was a significant difference between CD vs Cartridge.
That's somewhat true but lets not forget how much more powerful the N64 was. Sony defiantly started the push of buying exclusives, after all Nintendo, Sega, Atari all had gaming roots before they pushed to make a console, Sony on the other hand forced their way into the market( I can guarantee you developers would of put up with cartridges had Sony not thrown cash around). This is reflected by the amount of studios owned at the end of the ps2 generation, Sony only started pumping out their own games around the end of 2008, when for the first time they were faced with a company which could afford to keep up.

Think of this scenario flip Sony and Microsoft, Sony overall struggling financially and the ps4 is doing ok but not fantastic, the wii u is the wii u, the xbox one just sold it's 10th million unit, if Microsoft can already buy time exclusive for it's console when it's losing 2:1, an you imagine if the roles were reversed what would happen. The industry atm can't deal with ps1 or ps2 type generation other wise and you can bet your bottom dollar if either Sony or Microsoft totally dominate always on s**t would be riddled through out.

That just one scenario many other fear which can come from companies constantly buying exclusive content, call smart business which it is but long term this will rot the industry. If it's a one off sure no harm but why stop if the practice works, hate to say this but the current trend gaming would be better if console didn't exist.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=875687

Phil Spencer says MS is spending money on not only marketing the game but developing it too. It'll be similar to Dead Rising 3. So maybe first on Xbone and then PC port 6 months later with no PS4 version coming?

MS is being sneaky campaigners about this whole situation, not giving a clear answer on what's going on.

Phil Spencer says MS is spending money on not only marketing the game but developing it too. It'll be similar to Dead Rising 3. So maybe first on Xbone and then PC port 6 months later with no PS4 version coming?

MS is being sneaky campaigners about this whole situation, not giving a clear answer on what's going on.

He confirmed it was timed, so I think it'll definitely come to PC/PS4 after One/360.

PC is a lock, but whether this comes to Sony systems is the big question. The good news for PS4 owners is that it is building a userbase that will be tough to ignore altogether for third parties.

Which means it'll cost more for Microsoft to lock games like this up in the future.

" helping to develop" Pretty much assume from this news that it wont end up on the ps4 unless there's a clause(relating to sales) which in all likeliness there is being a new deal ( if it was old, Microsoft would of announced it at e3). Guess Wii U and ps4 owners can cry each other to sleep.

If they're funding part of the development then its almost guaranteed it won't come to to PS4.

Still think we'll see it on PS4/PS3, I'll be very surprised if it's a full console exclusive.

I can't find anything on this. I know they paid to keep it exclusive for a year though but google isn't bringing anything up about them funding the development.

I remember it from print magazines at the time.

There may have been some interpretation on the writers part, but I remember the articles.

Was like old editions of Hyper or GamesTM/EDGE that had it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back