Multiplat Rise of the Tomb Raider

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember it from print magazines at the time.

There may have been some interpretation on the writers part, but I remember the articles.

Was like old editions of Hyper or GamesTM/EDGE that had it.

I'm sure I read something similar to that back then as well.

I remember it from print magazines at the time.

There may have been some interpretation on the writers part, but I remember the articles.

Was like old editions of Hyper or GamesTM/EDGE that had it.
Yep. From memory it went something towards there would never have been DLC had it not been for the extra $50mil.

I wish all consoles could have all games. It would make things so much better.

This would only work if there was one console. Would be pretty cool having all Ps4, WiiU and Xbone exclusives together.
Yeah but, no competition would be s**t for the consumer. No innovation, much apathy.

There wasn't a lot of bullshit.

It pretty much reads as 'we wanted something that can compete with Uncharted in 2015 and we went and got something that can compete with Uncharted in 2015'.

It makes a lot of sense, especially if Tomb Raider comes out in 6 months to a year after on PS4 because people won't have to choose between Tomb Raider & Uncharted then, they'll play through one and then the other later when it arrives.

I can see the logic from both sides depending on how it shakes out. If it doesn't hit PS4 you would assume that Microsoft paid with dumptucks of money rather than suitcases of it.

"Other people can do the deal, but it was a deal that fit well with us. And I think it could help the franchise in the long run and help Crystal and Square and us."

"And, frankly — and I know a lot of people won't like this but I'll say it — I think it can be good for the franchise and good for gaming all up, because it's a franchise that's meant something, and we're going to be able to work with them and invest and try to put the marketing and everything else at a level, and we're active in working with them on the development of the game as well, to try to make it one of those franchises that stands out."

That, my friend, is grade A farm fresh bullsh1t. It was already a franchise that stood out - hence the whole point of securing exclusivity in the first place, and the backlash.

Not like its ever going to happen but I really just wish they'd be straight up and not treat people like morons - just say yep, we need an Uncharted (which yeah, ok, he kinda does in that article). But moreso just say yep, we secured this exclusive to push the XBone. We hope that it will help push some sales our way with people who plan to buy a next gen console over the next 12 months.

Don't giver us this utter horsh1te about it being better for the industry, for gamers and for the franchise itself. Like somehow MS is going to make Tomb Raider more than it would have been otherwise. Laughable.

That, my friend, is grade A farm fresh bullsh1t. It was already a franchise that stood out - hence the whole point of securing exclusivity in the first place, and the backlash.

Not like its ever going to happen but I really just wish they'd be straight up and not treat people like morons - just say yep, we need an Uncharted (which yeah, ok, he kinda does in that article). But moreso just say yep, we secured this exclusive to push the XBone. We hope that it will help push some sales our way with people who plan to buy a next gen console over the next 12 months.

Don't giver us this utter horsh1te about it being better for the industry, for gamers and for the franchise itself. Like somehow MS is going to make Tomb Raider more than it would have been otherwise. Laughable.

To me this is exactly what's been happening.

It well documented that Crystal/SE were in a bit of financial trouble, they had massive expectations on sales of the first game, probably due to the budget on the game (around $100M + marketing). This didn't occur and so all of a sudden they are wanting to make a sequel, but maybe this time the budget is only $50 -75M?

They probably felt they couldn't make a better, bigger game with less money. So MS step up, drop $20-30M into their budget to help make the game.
Offer Marketing and other things as well.

I hope everyone gets to play the game within 2015, but I'm happy that MS will be helping to build a bigger and hopefully better game. I'd rather wait a bit for a better game, than have it come earlier but be lesser quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it funny that they think Tomb Raider will compete with Uncharted.

Nothing can compete with that game, but I think all companies benefit from the deal in that regard.

MS get their 'UC equivalent'.
Sony can launch on holiday season without competition
SE/Crystal get to launch unopposed on X1 at the time they want, and launch again on Ps4 without UC taking sales.

To me this is exactly what's been happening.

It well documented that Crystal/SE were in a bit of financial trouble, they had massive expectations on sales of the first game, probably due to the budget on the game (around $100M + marketing). This didn't occur and so all of a sudden they are wanting to make a sequel, but maybe this time the budget is only $50 -75M?

They probably felt they couldn't make a better, bigger game with less money. So MS step up, drop $20-30M into their budget to help make the game.
Offer Marketing and other things as well.

Yeah thats a valid theory I guess, I'm still pretty skeptical though. While the next game will no doubt require resources, surely it won't cost them as much as the reboot? Yeah they need to do new story, level design, voice acting and performance capture but the core mechanics and gameplay systems are already built. They don't even need to worry that much about the step up to next gen seeing as they have already optimized for the reboot's 'definitive edition'.

The proof will be in the pudding I guess, but I'd be amazed if the game wasn't just more of the same with prettier graphics - which is fine with me, first one was great. I just don't buy the MS argument that their involvement is about making the franchise better. Or rather, that the cash they are putting in is going to make that much difference. You can't really quantify these things but what are we talking about, maybe a 5% 'better' game than the original? Not worth it if the price is exclusivity.

I hope everyone gets to play the game within 2015, but I'm happy that MS will be helping to build a bigger and hopefully better game. I'd rather wait a bit for a better game, than have it come earlier but be lesser quality.

If what MS says is true about some of their cash being used for development, I'd say there's a massive doubt that this will ever end up anywhere other than Xbox and PC. You'd need to know the specifics of the contract, and the vague way that Phil Spencer is responding to questions about the nature of the exclusivity might make you think that it will come to playstation eventually but we'll just have to wait and see.

263-cover-reveal-front-610.jpg

Nearly two years ago, Crystal Dynamics released Tomb Raider, a gritty survival reboot for the iconic action series. The game was met with monumental success and became the best-selling entry in the series to date. Now the team at Crystal Dynamics is back to expand on Lara's new direction. After the events on Yamatai, the young archeologist has grown into a capable adventure seeker, and Rise of the Tomb Raider will send Lara to the frozen wilds of Siberia on a hunt for the lost secrets of immortality. Now Lara will have to hunt and craft new survival gear in order to take on larger puzzle tombs and a deadly new enemy, a secret society that has been lying in the shadows since the last game. Lara will gear up for her new adventure on Xbox One and Xbox 360 this holiday season, but the studio hasn't ruled out the possibility that the game will come to other consoles later on.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the GI cover game for their March issue meaning they had Uncharted & Tomb Raider back to back.

My favourite game of 2013 (which was a pretty damn good year), I don't know if this will be able to live up to the last game, but I sure do hope so.

Most of what we've been reading hints at it having more puzzles and tombs which is great.
I just hope Lara doesn't become cold and 'dark' in this game she was so well portrayed in the last game.

Hopefully this comes to PS4, there's no way I can justify getting all the consoles and a new PC in the next few years.

Yeah square confirmed it was a timed exclusive I think, remember reading it somewhere

edit: here 'tis -> http://arcadesushi.com/square-enix-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-is-timed-exclusive-again/

Although still no word of a duration, will probably be 6+ months. The language they use to not lie while still not admitting it's timed is so stupid - even in that gameinformer blurb, "Lara will gear up for her new adventure on Xbox One and Xbox 360 this holiday season". lol

Maybe but if it's built initially for the Xbox One, there is a chance they could do a quick port without changing anything.
I'd hazard a guess that they've built the game on PC and are down porting to XBOX ONE. Which means that they'll also very likely be doing a PS4 version side by side to save on extra costs later on.

Should mean that the PS4 and PC versions will come with all the bug fixes and probably a slightly smoother experience when it does come out, depending on if they would continue to optimise after release.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back