Rising Star 2020

After 18 rounds I'm going with:

5. Serong
4. Anderson
3. King
2. Day
1. Rankine

Top 3 clearcut. Lat two up for debate
Rankine literally only needed to play probably 3 half decent games after his first few and he would have won it.

Literally got drunk on his own bathwater as the season progressed.

I mean, he can win it. But it would make a mockery of the stated criteria.

If Serong didnt finish strongly I think it would have been a mockery if Rowell didnt win it.

Lets not forget Rankine spent a large number of weeks as the short priced favorite.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
If Serong didnt finish strongly I think it would have been a mockery if Rowell didnt win it.

Lets not forget Rankine spent a large number of weeks as the short priced favorite.
Only because of the money bet on him after his first game. It took more money to eventually come in for his odds to lengthen. If you were smart, you put money on Serong when it was obvious Rankine was too short by a mile.

Only because of the money bet on him after his first game. It took more money to eventually come in for his odds to lengthen. If you were smart, you put money on Serong when it was obvious Rankine was too short by a mile.

I got on Rankine when he was $5, fortunately I cashed out though when he started to string one to many below average games and Serong shortened.

I only got my money back too which I was happy at the time. Would have lost the lot if I sat on him.

It tells you just how poor this year has been when Rankine is listed in the top 5 and he has been very vanilla for every game bar about 3.

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
don't really understand why the media are pushing so hard for rowell when he is eligible next year...
they wouldn't award a brownow to someone who got 3 x 3 vote games and then got injured even if those 3 games proved he was the best player in the comp, they wouldn't even award them all aus ... no disrespect to rowell but it's a bizarre agenda

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some muppets in the media are still arguing that Matt Rowell would be a worthy winner based on his 5 games.

Do they not realise that he'll be favourite to win it in 2021? He'll still be eligible. Are we going to have a back-to-back rising star?
More than a reasonable question in the absence of defined criteria.

Who cares bout this stupid award, anyway?

It's only useful function is to give some recognition to the kids each week when they get nominated

There is a lot of players that win this award over the last 10 years that go on to have very very vanilla careers.

Compare that to the 90s and early 00s the awards went to players that went to have great careers.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for sharing?
Good post :rolleyes:

Oh, I get it... Freo fan... Caleb Serong... That's the only people who care about the Rising Star - the supporters of the 2 or 3 clubs whose players are favoured to win it. Usually these clubs are in the bottom half of the ladder. Their fans have no finals to look forward to. Only the useless Rising Star award and the 50/50 possibility their favourite player will make the All Australian team.

Nobody else cares. The Rising Star is easily the most irrelevant, least interesting and least prestigious individual award

Sorry for hurting your feelings, Freo fan by stating the truth as I see it.

Last edited:

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City

Oh, I get it... Freo fan... Caleb Serong... That's the only people who care about the Rising Star - the supporters of the 2 or 3 clubs whose players are favoured to win it. Usually these clubs are in the bottom half of the ladder. Their fans have no finals to look forward to. Only the useless Rising Star award and the 50/50 possibility their favourite player will make the All Australian team.

Nobody else cares. The Rising Star is easily the most irrelevant, least interesting and least prestigious individual award

I'm grateful you spent so much time telling us you don't care. Very believable.

I would have thought an award that has a focus on young players that are new to us would be one of the most interesting awards.

The fact there is a weekly winner (sort of) keeps it relevant all year.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm grateful you spent so much time telling us you don't care. Very believable.
Yeah, I'm really telling lies.

The truth is I can't wait to find out whether it's Rankine, Serong or Anderson

The suspense is killing me

I still look back fondly on the night when Sam Michell was crowned the 2002 Rising Star.
Of all the highlights in his glittering career, that was easily one of the biggest moments.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers

Says the guy in the middle of a meltdown :tearsofjoy:

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Yeah, I'm really telling lies.

The truth is I can't wait to find out whether it's Rankine, Serong or Anderson

The suspense is killing me

I still look back fondly on the night when Sam Michell was crowned the 2002 Rising Star.
Of all the highlights in his glittering career, that was easily one of the biggest moments.

I find the idea that someone who doesn't care about something has to tell everyone they shouldn't either to be pretty grating. If you don't care shut up and find another thread to comment in that you do care about.

You'll be happier and so will everyone else.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Please do not assume to speak on my behalf as a neutral supporter/one whose club does not have a contender this year.

I have been a massive fan of Serong since the first time I saw him play, and in light of Matt Rowell's sad and unfortunate season ending surgery, Serong is this year's no 1 RS quite comfortably.

He will win it, and quite comfortably I would have thought.

And no, the Rising Star is very much a prestigious award to win, aside from two or three exceptions, just about all of the Winners have gone on to have great careers, it is a very good and reliable gauge of future stars and champions of the league.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
My biased opinion.

5 Serong
4 Anderson
3 King
2 Day
1 Georgiades

The top 3 are pretty much glued on in some order. Serong is consistent, clean and high impact at the coalface. Looks a certified gun. Anderson took a bit of time to work into it but was racking them up by the end of the season and a very good user. King is ultra talented and could have made a run for top honours but he dropped off a bit mid year.
I really like the look of Will Day who didn't have many eye catching stand out games, but looks composed and consistent. And the games I saw from Georgiades he had an impact, takes a good mark and kicks goals, underrated young key forward.
I don't think Rankine did enough after a great debut and decent follow up to really be in the conversation to be honest.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would have thought an award that has a focus on young players that are new to us would be one of the most interesting awards.

The fact there is a weekly winner (sort of) keeps it relevant all year.
That's exactly what I posted earlier

Here...
Who cares bout this stupid award, anyway?
It's only useful function is to give some recognition to the kids each week when they get nominated

It's interesting to see which young players receive a weekly nomination and get a little love from the media each week

But when it comes to the buffoons casting their 5-4-3-2-1 votes based on occasional glimpses of good play, the stats over the season and the general vibe of it, then the award is fairly meaningless

We already know Serong will win it because that's how these things work - the general vibe of it - so congrats to Serong on winning the Rising Star. I'm sure he'll enjoy the cash prize, but he probably won't give a f**k about the "honour" of winning this award once his career fully blossoms and he fries bigger fish.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC

That is not true.

Gamblers also care about the award.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle

Like always. The awards doesn't matter at all.

Only the jumper you wear when winning it.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Goes to show its been a pretty weak year and no nominee has been that good. Probably due to the whole 2020 saga, be pretty tough to handle as a first year player

Serong Anderson Day King Rankine have all been very good. Especially given the disruptions they endured in their 1st year of football.

Serong will be a very deserving winner.

Back