Rising Star 2020

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A lot of discussion about the 2019 draft's talent over the past few months.

Who is going to be the rising star in 2020?

A list of players with odds on a particular betting website. I've highlighted the guys I think have the best chances - what do you think?
Are there any smokies from your club not listed?
- For GC Jez McLennan will probably play more games than a few guys on this list but has next to zero chance of winning it.

Matt Rowell - 3.75
Isak Rankine - 6
Noah Anderson - 8

Luke Jackson - 10
Caleb Serong - 11
Dylan Stephens - 13
Deven Robertson - 15
Jye Caldwell - 15

Lachlan Ash - 15
Max King - 15
Hayden Young - 17
Brodie Kemp - 21
Chance Jones - 21
Fischer McAsey - 21
Isaac Quaynor - 21
Liam Stocker - 21
Tom Green - 21
Bailey Scott - 26
Cody Weightman - 26
Ely Smith - 26
Jackson Hately - 26
Liam Henry - 26
Luke Valente - 26
Rhylee West - 26
Thomas Berry - 26
Finn Manginess - 34
Jack Ross - 34
Miles Bergman - 34
Ned McHenry - 34
Sam Flanders - 34
Sam Philp - 34
Trent Bianco - 34
Cooper Stephens - 41
Hugo Ralphsmith - 41
Jack Bytel - 41
Jeremy Sharp - 41
Josh Worrell - 41
Lachlan Gollant - 41
Sam De Koning - 41
Will Day - 41
Will Gould - 41
Brock Smith - 51
Cameron Taheny - 51
Charlie Comben - 51
Dylan Williams - 51
Elijah Taylor - 51
Jack Mahony - 51
Jackson Mead - 51
Jay Rantall - 51
Mitch Georgiades - 51
Thomson Dow - 51
Trent Rivers - 51
Harrison Jones - 81
Harry Schoenberg - 81
Kysaiah Pickett - 81
Mitch O'Neill - 81
Ned Cahill - 81
Mathew Walker - 101

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Matt Rowell will romp it in, if his form in the 2019 TAC Cup Grand Final is par for the course, although Rankine could well usurp his teammate if his body holds up.

Don't bother putting any
money on Brodie Kemp, he will spend at least the half of the season on the sidelines or VFL, Carlton will not rush him in and give all the time he needs to fully get over his ACL.

Liam Henry at 26 Dollarydoos is the best value bet from those odds given, I think he is a very good chance to finish top 3, think he will end up being the best academy pick so far (least until the Doggies gun next year)

I'm going to be that person and say that of those not listed Jarrod Cameron is a real smokey. Already demonstrated he belongs and an immediate vacancy in our forward line for a small forward thanks to Willie thinking Gatorade is an acceptable substitute for urine analysis.

Of those listed, someone more 'AFL ready' like Robertson could win but Brisbane look to have a set first 22 next year, difficult to see where he slots in unless a Brisbane fan can enlighten me.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hopefully, Max King shows why he was tipped to go number 1 in 2018 before his ACL.
You'd think a relatively low possession tall forward would need to kick 40 goals to be in with a shot.
Jesse Hogan and Daniel Talia the only 2 KP players to win it in the last 15 years.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm going to be that person and say that of those not listed Jarrod Cameron is a real smokey. Already demonstrated he belongs and an immediate vacancy in our forward line for a small forward thanks to Willie thinking Gatorade is an acceptable substitute for urine analysis.

Of those listed, someone more 'AFL ready' like Robertson could win but Brisbane look to have a set first 22 next year, difficult to see where he slots in unless a Brisbane fan can enlighten me.

Same thoughts in regards to Robertson with Hately and Caldwell. 2nd year players, should be ready, but with Ward returning, and Green also up for contention difficult to see him play the 18+ games required to win. I'd expect them to lift their games played but got Coniglio, Kelly, Whitfield, Ward, Taranto, Hopper, potentially Williams, Greene all going through the midfield. The 3 young guys will likely split time and stats.

Looking at the list there isn't a huge amount of decent 2nd year chances, Rankine, King, Valente 3 that stand out but all have their own question marks about durability/management to aid development. So I think at this stage Rowell is a deserved hot favourite and is my tip.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Most likely Rankine I imagine, but I would happily put a few dollars on Gould simply because he is already physically developed so he should be ready to go from day one. At no point am I saying he is as good as some of the others on that list though, more that he is just more ready for the AFL than the other people on that list.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Interesting that the bookies are quite down on Pickett's chances compared with other forwards drafted further down the order.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Cooper Stephens a value pick I reckon.

Vacancy for a tall inside mid at Geelong and I think athletically he has the advantage over Constable and Scott favours the athletes over the footballers.

Could come in and play round 1 and hold his spot for the year OR he might not get a game at all, that's the risk you take.

Just think if he does play though he will be at the coal face to rack up the stats and that's what puts you in the best position to actually win.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Max King is a contender
Rankine as well

The thing about the rising star award is that players from bottom sides tend to win it.

This is because:
  1. They get to play every game
  2. They stand out more
Not exactly. Pretty even spread across ladder positions for the past 10 years.

Stephenson for example is going to have a much greater opportunity to impress in a good team than if he played in a poor team.

Walsh / Carlton / 16th
Stephenson / Collingwood / 3rd
McGrath / Essendon / 7th
Mills / Sydney / 1st
Hogan / Melbourne / 13th
Taylor / Lions / 15th
O'Meara / Gold Coast / 13th
Talia / Adelaide / 2nd
Heppell / Essendon / 8th
Hannebury / Sydney / 5th

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finn Maginness looks like he's got the body to have an impact in 2019, already proved his fitness @ the combine. I'm starting to expect Finn plays r1, although Clarko has always favoured playing the veterans early in the year.

Not entirely sure if he will get to play 22 games, but I reckon he'll play 10+

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Not exactly. Pretty even spread across ladder positions for the past 10 years.

Stephenson for example is going to have a much greater opportunity to impress in a good team than if he played in a poor team.

Walsh / Carlton / 16th
Stephenson / Collingwood / 3rd
McGrath / Essendon / 7th
Mills / Sydney / 1st
Hogan / Melbourne / 13th
Taylor / Lions / 15th
O'Meara / Gold Coast / 13th
Talia / Adelaide / 2nd
Heppell / Essendon / 8th
Hannebury / Sydney / 5th

Yep. Fair call.
Helps to be blonde?