Rising Star 2020

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't understand why Serong is ahead of Anderson?

He plays a lot more on ball time yet only averages 0.5 disposal more. Less score involvements 3.3 to 2.5. More turnovers and clangers. Less intercepts. Pretty much the same metres gained. And has kicked 2 goals compared with Anderson's 4. Played 2 less games as well. The impact of playing every game has to be a factor for Anderson slowing down as the year goes on.

I think Serong is a very good player just as I think Anderson is a very good player, but to me it seems Serong is favoured because he plays on ball, where as I actually think the wing is a far more difficult role to play for a young player. Especially in a side like Gold Coast that play a fairly contested style and require the wingers to keep the structure in place.

belzor

Debutant
Aug 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't understand why Serong is ahead of Anderson?

He plays a lot more on ball time yet only averages 0.5 disposal more. Less score involvements 3.3 to 2.5. More turnovers and clangers. Less intercepts. Pretty much the same metres gained. And has kicked 2 goals compared with Anderson's 4. Played 2 less games as well. The impact of playing every game has to be a factor for Anderson slowing down as the year goes on.

I think Serong is a very good player just as I think Anderson is a very good player, but to me it seems Serong is favoured because he plays on ball, where as I actually think the wing is a far more difficult role to play for a young player. Especially in a side like Gold Coast that play a fairly contested style and require the wingers to keep the structure in place.

You watched him or just the stats? Kid is a jet

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
You watched him or just the stats? Kid is a jet
Excellent hands and pressure around the pack, kicking runs hot and cold.

It's a testament to his readiness and talent that he can go straight in to the guts but I think Anderson could easily do that for the Suns if they needed to and playing a lot on the wing and some half forward is actually sacrificing his game.

I look at someone like Cerra at Freo who's taken a while to build because he's been asked to play both flanks and on the wing and it's really not easy. In no way am I saying Serong hasn't been excellent, I just think Anderson has been as good when you compare what they've been asked to do.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Excellent hands and pressure around the pack, kicking runs hot and cold.

It's a testament to his readiness and talent that he can go straight in to the guts but I think Anderson could easily do that for the Suns if they needed to and playing a lot on the wing and some half forward is actually sacrificing his game.

I look at someone like Cerra at Freo who's taken a while to build because he's been asked to play both flanks and on the wing and it's really not easy. In no way am I saying Serong hasn't been excellent, I just think Anderson has been as good when you compare what they've been asked to do.

Agree mate, Anderson hasn’t played inside as much as serong but when he has, he’s looked very solid. He uses the ball well inside and looks more natural inside than his role on the wing.

Serong should have it wrapped up by now. Another solid game
His back end of the season has been very impressive, looks to be a 250 gamer for freo and a ripper for you guys.

King and Anderson his closeset rivals for the award have fallen away somewhat making it easier for the judges imo

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
His back end of the season has been very impressive, looks to be a 250 gamer for freo and a ripper for you guys.

King and Anderson his closeset rivals for the award have fallen away somewhat making it easier for the judges imo
To the contrary, Anderson's numbers have increased very consistently over the second half of the season as he's found his feet.

rounds 1 - 8:
14.4 disposals (5.2 contested), 2.3 tackles, 2 I50s, 1.3 clearances, 2.4 score involvements, 245m gained, 66.5 Champion data points
rounds 9 - 17:
17.6 disposals (8.8 contested), 1.8 tackles, 3.6 I50s, 3.1 clearances, 4 score involvements, 281m gained, 85.2 Champion data points

Top 10 Champion data ranked games between the two paint a good picture of how neck and neck it is:
1. Anderson 126
2. Serong 118
3. Anderson 116
4. Serong 114
5. Anderson 110
6. Serong 96
7. Serong 94
8. Anderson 93
9. Anderson 90
10. Serong 88

Anderson has also has a recent 5 round average of 95 compared to Serong's 82.

However my opinion is still that Serong probably still deserves it based on his worst performances being at a higher standard than Andersons.

Last edited:

Gold Rocks

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
To the contrary, Anderson's numbers have increased very consistently over the second half of the season as he's found his feet.

rounds 1 - 8:
14.4 disposals (5.2 contested), 2.3 tackles, 2 I50s, 1.3 clearances, 2.4 score involvements, 245m gained, 66.5 Champion data points
rounds 9 - 17:
17.6 disposals (8.8 contested), 1.8 tackles, 3.6 I50s, 3.1 clearances, 4 score involvements, 281m gained, 85.2 Champion data points

Top 10 Champion data ranked games between the two paint a good picture of how neck and neck it is:
1. Anderson 126
2. Serong 118
3. Anderson 116
4. Serong 114
5. Anderson 110
6. Serong 96
7. Serong 94
8. Anderson 93
9. Anderson 90
10. Serong 88

Anderson has also has a recent 5 round average of 95 compared to Serong's 82.

However my opinion is still that Serong probably still deserves it based on his worst performances being at a higher standard than Andersons.
It's going down to the wire and it wouldn't surprise me if Anderson gets it for the good afl season played in qld story plus playing in a weaker midfield. Its a toss of the coin for serong or Anderson?

Back