Rising Star 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

Just because a couple of players questioned the decision on Twitter doesn't make it newsworthy.

Another media beat up.

I would have given it to Sholl this btw week, but glad Quaynor put in a good game after that gruesome injury he suffered against the Swans.

What are you on about? Quaynor was atrocious. Sexton tore him to shreds. I watched that game and truly believed Quaymor will be dropped this week due to it. Now he gets a Rising Star nomination

This is obviously related to performance bonuses and financial incentives for the guy and just another Gil way to boost up the Vic salary cap

Aug 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
More VFL bias crap.
More reason to hate Collingwood and their total flog President.
Absolute nonsense. VFL bias. Jason Tutt had 26 possessions, kicked 4 goals and got a Brownlow vote and no nomination. Is that VFL bias?
Lewis Taylor beats Bont after Glenn Jakovich gives Taylor full votes and Bont bugger all. Is that VFL bias? I look forward to your response

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I get the body of work argument. But I think that should be reserved for when it’s a close call. Also Rivers and Scholl has been performing well enough this year prior to the last round. Quanor didn’t perform nearly as well as Scholl or Rivers. Having 3 kicked on him in the first also doesn’t help.
Doesn’t help that the judges don’t watch ball the games I guess.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
What are you on about? Quaynor was atrocious. Sexton tore him to shreds. I watched that game and truly believed Quaymor will be dropped this week due to it. Now he gets a Rising Star nomination

This is obviously related to performance bonuses and financial incentives for the guy and just another Gil way to boost up the Vic salary cap
Sexton kicked 1.2 on Quaynor so who knows what you were watching

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Collingwood fans, how does this flog have a job as ‘digital content producer’ at your club? Attacks Tex when two other team mates, Boak, Mitch Robinson and a few media people also Tweeted in support. I don’t understand how genuinely good media people are losing jobs and this guy can troll on social media while still in his role, completely unprofessional.

Did Boak, Robinson and the others post a photo of Quaynor with the text "absolute joke?"

I think the absolute joke is you wanting a person to be sacked for saying that Taylor Walker's post is "yeah, not for me" and an emoji

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Unless something huge changes, I can't really see the winner being anyone other than Serong or King. The other nominees, apart from Anderson, are just nowhere near their level this year, despite how impressive some have been. There's others who are yet to be nominated and have had good years (Laitham Vandermeer from the Dogs has been great), but still none of those are on the same level as Serong and King.

I think the main thing holding others back from properly contending is number of games played. There's only a small handful of Rising Stars who have even managed double-figure appearances this year.

Should make the 2021 race more interesting, with plenty of (then) 2nd and 3rd year players still potentially eligible.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
According to an article posted on fox sports this morning, they have tried to justify missing Scholl by saying "at the end of the year, nominations are made based on contributions throughout the season, rather then individual performances"

Which is complete and utter BS

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
I get the body of work argument. But I think that should be reserved for when it’s a close call.

This. If you've been good all season, that should count in your favour on a round where there is no clear standout. But if someone has a 9/10 game, i.e. Riccardi a few weeks ago or Sholl on the weekend, they should get it every time over someone who has strung together a few 7's.

It's not ******* rocket science, really.

The AFL are discrediting their own award with these antics. And don't tell me it means nothing to these kids, or bottom 8 clubs & supporters looking for positives out of a season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even Will Day the pictureboy for the body of work argument got his nomination on his best game and in a quite week. dont like the idea that the nomination formula changes in the later few weeks at all.

Okay give it to the guy with the body of work when we have no standouts but if someone has a 'blinder' then they get the nom and if a kid thats been consistent misses out thats unfortunate but that's just the reality of awards.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I get the body of work argument. But I think that should be reserved for when it’s a close call. Also Rivers and Scholl has been performing well enough this year prior to the last round. Quanor didn’t perform nearly as well as Scholl or Rivers. Having 3 kicked on him in the first also doesn’t help.
Doesn’t help that the judges don’t watch ball the games I guess.
The rising star nomination team have given it to two players before, why couldn't both get nominated?

Think they are hoping Lachie (who is eligible next year) plays more good footy in 2021 and earns a rightful rising star then.

The rising star nomination team have given it to two players before, why couldn't both get nominated?

Think they are hoping Lachie (who is eligible next year) plays more good footy in 2021 and earns a rightful rising star then.
Players have received two Rising Star nominations before

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seen at least 90% of them. He is a good kick but slightly overrated.
Quaynor has excellent penetration, I can see a little bit of Bucks in the way he can punch a ball 40m low and fast. But Sidey can comfortably pick out targets with varying touch on his kicks on both his left and right. And then there's Pendles who can cruise on up and casually drop the ball right in front of a leading forwards eyes.

Quaynor will have his moments but I'll take either of those midfield champions for consistency. I'd probably take Josh Daicos too.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I cant help but chuckle at the people in the media who said earlier in the year that Rowell should be given the award after blistering early form before injury.

If that's the case, they ought to be pushing for Michael Barlow to be retrospectively awarded the Brownlow for the form he displayed before he broke his leg
The only difference is, there is defined criteria for the Brownlow, that is, the most votes received from umpires who provide 6 votes for every home and away match played.

Where is the defined criteria for the Rising Star? If you could pick one player for the next 10 years from this year's eligible crop, based on what you have seen, who would it be?

I suggest most would go with Rowell.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Quaynor has excellent penetration, I can see a little bit of Bucks in the way he can punch a ball 40m low and fast. But Sidey can comfortably pick out targets with varying touch on his kicks on both his left and right. And then there's Pendles who can cruise on up and casually drop the ball right in front of a leading forwards eyes.

Quaynor will have his moments but I'll take either of those midfield champions for consistency. I'd probably take Josh Daicos too.
Quaynor, Howe and Moore are the 3 best kicks at Collingwood. Sidebottom gets overrated because he's more or less ambidextrous. On a side note Quaynor has an excellent handball technique as well. They spin perfectly and get to their target in quick time.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mate it's ok it's just an award. I recall a player a couple of years back kicked 4 goals and didn't get a nomination because they like consistency.
If you want to know how serious the award is do a search on Lewis Taylor and David King. Just a heads up King thought Taylor was the Rising Star ahead of the Bont. It's a funny read. As I said don't worry about. Look where the Bont and Taylor are now

Robert Walls chose Rhys Palmer over Cyril. To this day defends his choice.

Seen at least 90% of them. He is a good kick but slightly overrated.

Ridiculous. He is better on his off foot than the 90% of the team on their main.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back