Rising Star 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

What time does tonight kick off?

Some time past 7pm at a guess, they are also naming the AA team, coaches and AFLPA etc, so it will be a long night, got no idea when the Rising Star winner will be announced though, you know how Fox Footy like to drag these things out. But relax, your boy Serong has it in the bag, no need to be nervous :)

Some time past 7pm at a guess, they are also naming the AA team, coaches and AFLPA etc, so it will be a long night, got no idea when the Rising Star winner will be announced though, you know how Fox Footy like to drag these things out. But relax, your boy Serong has it in the bag, no need to be nervous :)
Haha cheers mate.

As a Saints supporter here is my view on King -
Had a great first half of the season, booted 18 goals from 11 games including a couple bags of 3. His best work goes unnoticed. His positioning behind play gives small forwards like butler first use. He never gets out marked. His footy IQ is incredible. The weight of being the main key forward probably took its toll in the second half, and he seemed to be low on confidence, dropping marks and missing goals. What’s Interesting is that he was a big part of taking us to finals, unlike some Rising Star contenders.

Still think Serong should win, and Anderson 2nd, but King rightfully deserves 3rd IMO.

aside from two or three exceptions, just about all of the Winners have gone on to have great careers, it is a very good and reliable gauge of future stars and champions of the league.
Lewis Taylor, Jesse Hogan, Jaeger O'Meara, Daniel Rich, Rhys Palmer, Danyle Pearce, Jared Rivers, Justin Koschitzke
That's 8 winners from the past 20 years who are a long way short of greatness. (Rich and O'Meara are alright, but not world beaters)

Maybe a bit early to be too judgmental about Callum Mills - he is shaping up as a pretty good player, but not outstanding
Heppell has been good, but far from a champion. The Essendon captaincy counts for something, I guess.

The only past winners I would class as champions are Buckley, Cousins, Goodes, Riewoldt, Mitchell and Selwood
Very good/gun players: Pickett, Deledio, Hasleby, Wilson, Hannebery and Talia, I suppose as an All Australian defensive stopper

6 champions in 28 years is not such a great strike rate for such a supposedly "prestigious" award.

Last edited:
Lewis Taylor, Jesse Hogan, Jaeger O'Meara, Daniel Rich, Rhys Palmer, Danyle Pearce, Jared Rivers, Justin Koschitzke
That's 8 winners from the past 20 years who are a long way short of greatness. (Rich and O'Meara alright, but not world beaters)

Maybe a bit early to be too judgmental about Callum Mills - he is shaping up as a pretty good player, but not outstanding
Heppell has been good, but far from a champion. The Essendon captaincy counts for something, I guess.

The only past winners I would class as champions are Buckley, Cousins, Goodes, Riewoldt, Mitchell and Selwood
Very good/gun players: Pickett, Deledio, Hasleby, Wilson, Hannebery and Talia, I suppose as an All Australian defensive stopper

5 champions in 28 years is not such a great strike rate for such a supposedly "prestigious" award.

It's almost like the role a junior plays early doesn't always translate to performance numbers, especially when so many of them are played in off the ball, predominately outside roles on the lowest rated opposition player and as new juniors roll through they are shifted to harder and harder matchups.

That's 8 winners from the past 20 years who are a long way short of greatness. (Rich and O'Meara are alright, but not world beaters)

5 champions in 28 years is not such a great strike rate for such a supposedly "prestigious" award.
You listed 6 “champions” though...

It’s probably still a better strike rate than the number 1 pick. Becoming a champion is hard.

The better one is probably the Coaches best young player as its for 1st and 2nd year players.

You listed 6 “champions” though...

It’s probably still a better strike rate than the number 1 pick. Becoming a champion is hard.
Particularly if you set the bar so high that you have a category of gun below it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 champions in 28 years is not such a great strike rate for such a supposedly "prestigious" award.
Who was Hawthorns greatest player? Matthews? How many Brownlows? NONE. Dies that mean the Brownlow is a pointless award?

Good post :rolleyes:

Oh, I get it... Freo fan... Caleb Serong... That's the only people who care about the Rising Star - the supporters of the 2 or 3 clubs whose players are favoured to win it. Usually these clubs are in the bottom half of the ladder. Their fans have no finals to look forward to. Only the useless Rising Star award and the 50/50 possibility their favourite player will make the All Australian team.

Nobody else cares. The Rising Star is easily the most irrelevant, least interesting and least prestigious individual award

Sorry for hurting your feelings, Freo fan by stating the truth as I see it.
How do I tag Nuffies AFL Facebook page here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back