Player Watch Rising Star 2022 Discussion

Who wins the 2022 Rising Star?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm always mystified why fans of the top 3 Rising Star candidates get into shitfights about this overrated award. I was genuinely embarrassed for the Hawthorn nuffies who suffered a meltdown when Andy McGrath pipped Ryan Burton for the award back in 2017. Maybe some of them had bets on the result and felt cheated. Understandable. But for the non-punters, of all the stupid things in footy to lose your mind over, the Rising Star would have to be one of the most meaningless.

Of all the individual awards, the Rising Star is the biggest popularity contest of them all. The judges don't watch these kids ultra-closely every week. They don't factor in their mistakes and poor games, or their defensive efforts. It's all based on stats, "star quality" hype and based on the "feels". I like the weekly recognition which is given to the up & coming young stars of the game. I just don't give a rat's arse about the final voting process to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc..

Who cares who wins it? As we've seen many times in previous years, the place-getters often have much better careers than the winners. And the true champions of the game are often ineligible... They'll have a quietish debut season, but play more than 10 games and won't be eligible for the award when they have a breakout season in their 2nd year.

Last edited:
This is just a practice year for Daics, Pies don't want him getting beaten up like Rowell so gave him a holiday in the back half
Yep.

Pies clearly holding Daicos back. Will move into the middle and take over from Pendles as the Pies jet for the next decade.

Newcombe reminds of Worpel, the next limited Hawthorn fanboi that just hits their ceiling early.

Yep.

Pies clearly holding Daicos back. Will move into the middle and take over from Pendles as the Pies jet for the next decade.

Newcombe reminds of Worpel, the next limited Hawthorn fanboi that just hits their ceiling early.
Daicos will get smashed in the middle, he’s been shown up as weak in the contest and the pies know this. Will be a very good loose man in defense for the next 10 years though

Daicos will get smashed in the middle, he’s been shown up as weak in the contest and the pies know this. Will be a very good loose man in defense for the next 10 years though
Come on mate, Daicos is clearly going to be a top line footy player. He's going to step straight into Pendles' role when he retires and will do it well for the next 10 years. Haven't seen another 18 year old adjust to the speed of the AFL as quickly as Daicos has since O'Meara.

Yes right now he doesnt have the size to be a full time mid.

His progression and upside is obvious, the replacement for Pendles.

From Hawks perspective, Newcombe reminds of Worpel.

Yep.

They’re nothing alike.

Newcombe has speed, good kicking skills, takes contested marks and can also kick goals. All traits that Worpel doesn’t have. Terrible comparison.

They’re nothing alike.

Newcombe has speed, good kicking skills, takes contested marks and can also kick goals. All traits that Worpel doesn’t have. Terrible comparison.
Worpel is a Hawks BnF winner, 2019 snuck up on competition in his second season with a limited ceiling...pretty good comparison for mine.

Come on mate, Daicos is clearly going to be a top line footy player. He's going to step straight into Pendles' role when he retires and will do it well for the next 10 years. Haven't seen another 18 year old adjust to the speed of the AFL as quickly as Daicos has since O'Meara.
It’s a joke (I took it as that.) look at who he quoted.

Worpel is a Hawks BnF winner, 2019 snuck up on competition in his second season with a limited ceiling...pretty good comparison for mine.
You’re saying Newcombe has a limited ceiling which is beyond wrong, if you’re not joking you’re just delusional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm always mystified why fans of the top 3 Rising Star candidates get into shitfights about this overrated award. I was genuinely embarrassed for the Hawthorn nuffies who suffered a meltdown when Andy McGrath pipped Ryan Burton for the award back in 2017. Maybe some of them had bets on the result and felt cheated. Understandable. But for the non-punters, of all the stupid things in footy to lose your mind over, the Rising Star would have to be one of the most meaningless.

Of all the individual awards, the Rising Star is the biggest popularity contest of them all. The judges don't watch these kids ultra-closely every week. They don't factor in their mistakes and poor games, or their defensive efforts. It's all based on stats, "star quality" hype and based on the "feels". I like the weekly recognition which is given to the up & coming young stars of the game. I just don't give a rat's arse about the final voting process to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc..

Who cares who wins it? As we've seen many times in previous years, the place-getters often have much better careers than the winners. And the true champions of the game are often ineligible... They'll have a quietish debut season, but play more than 10 games and won't be eligible for the award when they have a breakout season in their 2nd year.
It's because it cleverly captures, distills and markets the eternal hope of youf

Which BF tends to rate as more important than actual flags.
BF 101: it's better to be young than good

Footballing innocence is a wondrous thing, a light to be cherished until actual performance intrudes its rude and cold reality; purity not yet spoiled by mundane affairs

Anybody know how many Rising Star Nominations each team has and who?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bombers - 3
Magpies - 2
Hawks - 2
Dockers - 2
Tigers - 2
Demons - 1
Crows - 1
North - 1
Carlton - 1
GC - 1
Geeelong - 1
Swans - 1
Port - 1
Bulldogs -1

lunch break almost over don’t have time for who, soz.

Last edited:

Blues - 1
Bombers - 3
Cats - 1
Crows - 1
Demons - 1
Dockers - 2
Dogs - 1
Eagles - 0
Giants - 0
Hawks - 2
Lions - 0
Pies - 2
Power - 1
Roos - 1
Saints - 0
Suns - 1
Swans - 1
Tigers - 2

Essendon - Martin, Hobbs, D'Ambrosio
Hawthorn - Newcombe, Ward
Fremantle - Chapman, Walker
Collingwood - Daicos, Ginnivan
Richmond - Ralphsmith, Cumberland
Melbourne - Bowey
Adelaide - Rachele
North Melb - Horne-Francis
Gold Coast - Jefferies
Geelong - De Koning
Sydney - L.McDonald
Port Adel - Jones
Carlton - Durdin
WB - Ugle-Hagan

WCE, GWS, Bris and StKilda no nominations yet

a list of possible nominations in the last 3 weeks

Connor MacDonald - Hawks 17 games (13.8 disp 3.6 mk 1.9 tk)
Finn Maginness - Hawks 13 games (13.2 disp 2.9 mk 3.1 tk)
Jake Soligo - Adel 13 games (13.8 disp 2.1 mk 3.5 tk)
Sam Durham - Ess 17 games (15.1 disp 4.9 mk)
Josh Gibcus - Rich 14 games (9.5 disp 5.5 spoils)
Paul Curtis - North Melb 13 games (9.6 disp 3.5 mk 2.6 tk)
Flynn Perez - North Melb 14 games(12.4 disp 3.4 mk 2.4 tk)
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - StKilda 15 games (13.3 disp 4.6 mk 1.9 tk)
Marcus Windhager - StKilda 15 games (10.9 disp 2.7 mk 2.1 tk)
Brady Hough - WCE 13 games (12.7 disp 4.6 mk 0.9 tk)
Jai Culley - WCE 3 games (13.7 disp 2.3 mk 6.7 tk)
Elijah Hollands - GCS 2 games (12 disp 3 mk 3.5 tk)

Mitch Owens (StKilda) is an outside chance too, was great last week

Essendon - Martin, Hobbs, D'Ambrosio
Hawthorn - Newcombe, Ward
Fremantle - Chapman, Walker
Collingwood - Daicos, Ginnivan
Richmond - Ralphsmith, Cumberland
Melbourne - Bowey
Adelaide - Rachele
North Melb - Horne-Francis
Gold Coast - Jefferies
Geelong - De Koning
Sydney - L.McDonald
Port Adel - Jones
Carlton - Durdin
WB - Ugle-Hagan

WCE, GWS, Bris and StKilda no nominations yet

a list of possible nominations in the last 3 weeks

Connor MacDonald - Hawks 17 games (13.8 disp 3.6 mk 1.9 tk)
Finn Maginness - Hawks 13 games (13.2 disp 2.9 mk 3.1 tk)
Jake Soligo - Adel 13 games (13.8 disp 2.1 mk 3.5 tk)
Sam Durham - Ess 17 games (15.1 disp 4.9 mk)
Josh Gibcus - Rich 14 games (9.5 disp 5.5 spoils)
Paul Curtis - North Melb 13 games (9.6 disp 3.5 mk 2.6 tk)
Flynn Perez - North Melb 14 games(12.4 disp 3.4 mk 2.4 tk)
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - StKilda 15 games (13.3 disp 4.6 mk 1.9 tk)
Marcus Windhager - StKilda 15 games (10.9 disp 2.7 mk 2.1 tk)
Brady Hough - WCE 13 games (12.7 disp 4.6 mk 0.9 tk)
Jai Culley - WCE 3 games (13.7 disp 2.3 mk 6.7 tk)
Elijah Hollands - GCS 2 games (12 disp 3 mk 3.5 tk)

Mitch Owens (StKilda) is an outside chance too, was great last week
Maurice Rioli and Tyler Sonsie are a chance for us if they have a big game. Probably more likely than Gibcus.

They’re nothing alike.

If we look at the last 2 weeks sure.

If we look at the last 2 weeks sure.
Played forward against the Saints which included as a FF, he was really good in that role and is a good mark above his head, unlike Worpel who hasn’t got that in his bag.

Back