AFL Rising Star award

Just cashed out by bet on Ryan Burton. Got on him early in the year so still got back 9x more than I originally bet. $450 is better than $0 if he doesn't win it since he's not playing this week.

Very happy with my decision

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Geez bad luck to all the punters in here! Don't think I saw one bet on McGrath. Burton stiff, thought McGrath was the 3rd best player on full years body of work.

Geez bad luck to all the punters in here! Don't think I saw one bet on McGrath. Burton stiff, thought McGrath was the 3rd best player on full years body of work.

But dat feel good story of coming back to play for a club of convicted dopers :hearts:

mookieb

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The vast majority of stats had Burton ahead as did the vast majority of commentators. Apparently the Essendon media mafia were lobbying hard for McGrath.

Not that the isn't a future gun though just most had Burton ahead by a clear margin.

"Among the Rising Star nominees, McGrath was ranked first for handballs, second for disposals and second for effective disposals."

Boom! First in handballs.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would say I'm fairly biased but thought Burton had SPP and McGrath covered. Would have had SPP second but hard to split.

The plunge was suspiciously correct for the 2nd time in 3 years before closing early.

yaablet

Rookie
Jun 21, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
I heard Healy talk about SPP how is is by far the best first year player and the favourite for the Rising Star. Now he isn't favourite and perhaps he is the best 1st year player (Burton played a bit last year) but the commentators love SPP. There was an article apparently about his tough upbringing and he has a good profile so that doesn't hurt. I'm on Burton and he seems to be powering home and fortunately SPP has had 2 shockers in a row (10 possies or less). I'm still nervy because a couple of "don't argue's" Dusty style and the commentators will be glowing about him again.

McGrath is no chance I don't think.

I guess you couldn't have been more wrong.

The plunge was suspiciously correct for the 2nd time in 3 years before closing early.
Saw a post on the Hawks board (I think it was, possibly a different forum) a couple weeks back that said that a contact in the AFL media had told them that it was already decided that McGrath would win, and comfortably.

I would normally put that type of thing down to a guess, but it is suspicious that it also conincided with a plunge on McGrath late. The whole David King scandal from the year Lewis Taylor won also adds some credence to the idea that their is a bit of corruption to do with this award.

This isn't to say McGrath winning isn't legitimate (I still think Burton was clearly better this year though) but that the integrity of the voting secrecy is suspect. And by extension the betting market for this award is not safe for the average punter who isn't privy to inside information.

A lot of Hawthorn supporters who had bets on Burton and who had been following closely had cashed out (if they had the option) a couple weeks ago when it became apparent that the media cheerleading was going to influence the result.

Back