Rising star criteria

Remove this Banner Ad

hawfawnchick

Debutant
Feb 7, 2001
The Big V
Just wondered if anybody knew the criteria for being nominated for the rising star. Reason is that I noticed that Penny of the Bulldogs has been nominated for his 12 possession game. I just thought that it was odd that he was chosen over Brett Johnson who had around 25 possessions and was the shining light of the hawks side this round. Does your team have to win for you to be in contention or are the selectors making choices based on AFL rules (ie. socks pulled up, jumper tucked in, you know the important stuff)???

You would prefer it was based purely on stats?

Penny played as a key defender, Johnson is a midfielder type.

I don't know who played the better game, but I wouldn't judge it solely on statistics.

Lloyd only had 14 touches, was Johnson better than him?

Brett Johnson has had two 25+ possession games in a row, yet his being overlooked both times for Luke Penny and Danny Jacobs.

I'm amazed he wasn't nominated this week, he was clearly Hawthorn's best player, even if it was in a losing side, and for a player with so little experience to play so well in a big match shows he will be a class player.

Oh well, it doesn't matter when you get nominated, so long as you do you are in the running. Maybe this week :confused:

Port, if it was based on stats then he would probably be nominated. However, obviously this isn't the case. I just want to know what is taken into consideration when the selectors nominate their rising star. By the way, the entire Essendon team played better than the hawks players on Saturday night, so comparing Lloyd - who doesn't need to touch the ball 25 times to have an influence because he's a forward, not a midfielder - to Johnson - who I might add was getting limited time coming off the bench - is a tad unfair. The 19 year-old was trying to create play from the backline into the forward line, sometimes getting the ball 3 times on the run and ending up with absolutely nobody presenting themselves inside 50. Is that Johnson's fault or his teammates??

I'm not making a case for it being based on stats, you are.

Likewise to Lloyd, a key defender like Penny was saturday night doesn't need 25 touches to be effective.

You asked why he wasn't nominated when he had twice as many possessions.

I don't know what the criteria is but I am glad it isn't how many possessions you get, probably more like how effective you are.

I'm not saying its Johnson's fault. Penny was obviously judged more effective for blanketing a key forward, instead of gathering an average amount of possessions for a midfielder.

What crap!!!!

that is absolut crap about penny as johnno had 30 touches against wce the week before and people were saying well he played on weak opposition...well this week he played against tge best in the business and was rotated of the ground and still managed to get 25 possies with out 1 clanger ....in fact in the last 2 dominating games he has played...he hasnt clangered once....so i think the criteria is something like played less than 8 games before the season starts...so maybe he inelible as he played 8 games last season. If i am wrong then this is blatant that a kid with so much promise and poise and ability to stamp himself on the game..isnt picked ahead of penny who played against the so called weak opposition...and jacobs who his team is the yard stick..and he gets the 3rd or 4th best forward.

Re: What crap!!!!

Originally posted by phreeze77
so maybe he inelible as he played 8 games last season. If i am wrong then this is blatant that a kid with so much promise and poise and ability to stamp himself on the game..isnt picked ahead of penny who played against the so called weak opposition...and jacobs who his team is the yard stick..and he gets the 3rd or 4th best forward.

Firstly - a player must have played less than ten games at the start of the season, johnson had played 6, so he qualifies

Secondly - Last week Danny Jacobs did a job on David Schwartz, an opponent who was hardly melbournes 3rd or 4th best forward, an opponent who was physically stronger and taller than him, he did this in a match that was decided by a kick under enormous amounts of pressure

whilst johnson was great on saturday night, he didnt have to do too much to stand out in a team that was beaten by over 10 goals, while penny was instrumental in a winning side

While a player is nominated each week seemingly on their performance for the round, there's no doubt that all of the performances for the year would be taken into consideration.

Luke Penny has been very consistent this year playing in most games as a key defender. In most cases he has had to match up against a lot stronger and more experienced opponents.

Like Golden Hawk said, it doesn't matter when Brett Johnson is nominated because he will obviously be chosen at some stage during the year. Personally I thought Justin Koschitzke was a huge chance this week but like Johnson will be nominated eventually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back