Rising Star - who’s going to win it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Jackson had a very good game today

The naked eye tells me big Tom Green. But Jackson goes close. How he is even in the discussion Is an indictment on how seriously good he may become. Look, I don’t think he will win. But what he is doing is worthy of a winner. Looks better than Gawn at times.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon it will go down to the wire between Gulden, Jackson or Georgiades, Luke Jackson’s last month has been outstanding.
A lot of these awards like All-Australian and Rising Star is they forget the first two months of footy. Gulden’s first 6-8 rounds were very good.
Any of the 3 above I’d be happy with.

Surely after 21 disposals it’s finally time for Bergman to get a nomination

Hayden Young was brilliant yesterday, 23 + 9 intercepts while doing a pretty reasonable job shutting down Shai Bolton.

I think it should come down to three players this year.

Rivers, Green or Georgiades

Rivers has been great this year and really cemented himself in a premiership contending team.

While Georgiades too has cemented his role in a top 4 team, he’s kicked 29 goals and will likely finish the year around 35. That’s a big effort for a 19 yr old key forward and not seen since Hogan took out the RS (as far as I can recall).

Green has been solid all year and put in some very good games.

I think Jackson is being a bit overstated. Yes he’s been excellent for the Demons structure and will develop into a very top line ruckman but looking at his numbers for this year he isn’t in that top few for the RS. Especially before this weekends 4 goal game (a smashing against GC), he’s averaged 12 disposals, 0.5 goals per game and 10 hit outs per game. For a player who spends a fair bit of time forward, I think if he was going at a goal a game he’d be in contention but just slightly off the others at the moment.

I think Gulden would have been the walk up winner if he had played more games but due to missing a chunk through injuries, that has removed him from the running.

Without trying to be bias:

1: Georgiades - a 35 goal year for a 19 Yr old key forward is a huge effort.

2: Green - very consistent year and developing as a key cog in the middle

3 : Rivers - again consistent but plays a slightly easier role for a young player on the back flank compared to the other 2.

Hopefully they reward Bergman off the fact that he has played 18 games and could had been the weekly nomination like 5-6 times and got snubbed

It is unusual in the way the the nominations work, sometimes it based on body of work and other weeks its based on one standout performance.
This week will be interesting with those two as the obvious contenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully they reward Bergman off the fact that he has played 18 games and could had been the weekly nomination like 5-6 times and got snubbed
Bergman is quality.
Gets lost in all the love for Rozee, Butters & Duursma, but looks another solid kid.

Port well setup depth wise moving forward with those guys + Georgiades, Ladhams & Drew as well.
Should cover retirements in coming 2-3 years nicely.

Can't imagine any run of form changes the top 5 from here. But picking the winner is tight

Green, Jackson, Gulden, Rivers & Georgiades (Has a nom, yeah?) would be it for me
Cox & Jordan just outside.

that said, there are some buffoons on the voting panel. I can see Cox top 5 for this reason. Luke Darcy and his band of merry morons (Ling & Richo), this means you.

Bergman is quality.
Gets lost in all the love for Rozee, Butters & Duursma, but looks another solid kid.

I actually think it's due to how seamlessly he's slotted in, people forget he's a first year player. He's a no fuss player which means he doesn't get much attention, but he just does the job.

He's not really had a breakout game - but has come close on a number of occasions to getting a nomination - which shows his consistently playing well.

Its Rising Star, not best First Year Player.

That's a generic reply. By your reasoning why don't we make it the first 3 years then. I agree with the initial poster, it should be first year only. Otherwise the award is basically a best 2nd year player award as the extra pre-season that these players get is a massive advantage.

Happy that Young got a nom. Been unlucky with injury but his 10 games so far have been very good quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back