Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24536005-12377,00.html

THE Republican National Committee appears to have spent more than $US150,000 ($221,500) on clothes for vice presidential pick Sarah Palin.

The Republicans' main campaign and fundraising organ spent tens of thousands at high-end stores, such as Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York and Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, the Politico website said.

The committee also spent $US4716 ($6964) on hair and makeup through September, Politico said.

Those kinds of expenditures did not appear in the RNC's financial disclosure records before the Alaska governor was named to John McCain's ticket in August, it said.

Politico said it reviewed the RNC's September monthly financial disclosure report and found a new category, "campaign accessories", included in the report of "itemised co-ordinated expenditures".

The McCain-Palin campaign issued a statement shortly after the report appeared online.

"With all of the important issues facing the country right now, it's remarkable that we're spending time talking about pantsuits and blouses," said spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt.

"It was always the intent that the clothing go to a charitable purpose after the campaign."

Asked for comment by Politico another spokeswoman, Maria Comella, "declined to answer specific questions about the expenditures, including whether it was necessary to spend that much," the report said.

"The campaign does not comment on strategic decisions regarding how financial resources available to the campaign are spent," Ms Comella was quoted as saying.

Among the department store sprees were expense reports for two high-end baby stores, "suggesting $US295 was spent to accommodate the littlest Palin to join the campaign trail," Politico said.

Palin gave birth to a son, her fifth child, earlier this year.

Another $US4902 were "spent at Atelier, a high-class shopping destination for men," the report noted.

so... what charitable purposes are they going to use these clothes for? I'm sure you'd be thrilled to lose your house but to get some Sarah Palin hand-me-downs!

Hard to believe anyone could think the GOP was out of touch...

It is worth it because she always looks GOOD!!!!

love spending other peoples money...unbelievable.

slide_460_11037_large.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah this story has as much interest value for me as John Edwards's haircuts.

If the RNC wants to fritter their war chest away on Sarah Palin's attire, I say go for it.

?

In the past you lefties would hate this type of reporting. Lets get onto serious issues I would hear you say.

And how much has Michelle Obama spent on clothes etc..?

Agreed. Plus, as dave said, if they want to spend more money making the pig look palatable and divert money from needy causes (i.e. trying to win battleground states) heck, go for it.

?

In the past you lefties would hate this type of reporting. Lets get onto serious issues I would hear you say.

Hey Cam, just a serious question. Do you still think that McCain deserves to win the POTUS?? Especially after his gaffes, his warmongering talk, his angry outbursts, swearing during speeches and the debates?

At least Obama seems to offer solutions and a steady government in my mind. McCain could end up being more dangerous tham Bush jr.

Who cares? That's her business, she's not spending campaign funds to buy them

Flashback: McCain supported amendment to restrict use of campaign funds on ‘clothing purchases.’»

Earlier this week, Politico reported that the RNC spent $150,000 “to clothe and accessorize vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her family.” Georgia10 at DailyKos notes this morning, that on the Senate floor in 1993, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) supported restrictions on the use of campaign funds for “inherently personal purposes,” specifically denouncing the use of such funds on “clothing purchases”:
mccain2.jpg

MCCAIN: Madam President, the amendment before the Senate is a very simple one. It restricts the use of campaign funds for inherently personal purposes. The amendment would restrict individuals from using campaign funds for such things as home mortgage payments, clothing purchases … and vacations or other trips that are noncampaign in nature. […]

The use of campaign funds for items which most Americans would consider to be strictly personal reasons, in my view, erodes public confidence and erodes it significantly.

to me she looks like any other redneck with fancy clothes re: Britney Spears, she might look okay to you but she has NOTHING between those ears except recipes for moose stew

I think she is a dangerous, god bothering imbecile that doesn't deserve to hold any public office, but she is very good looking woman.

I don't know, do you?

Nope. She does like designer clothes.

This $150,000 is for the whole Palin family isn't it? If we want to get into who out of the Obama and Palin family are more "in touch" why not look at such things like what schools their kids go to?

Goldenblue said:
Hey Cam, just a serious question. Do you still think that McCain deserves to win the POTUS?? Especially after his gaffes, his warmongering talk, his angry outbursts, swearing during speeches and the debates?

At least Obama seems to offer solutions and a steady government in my mind. McCain could end up being more dangerous tham Bush jr.

If he wins, of course he deserves to, same goes with Obama.

If you want to talk about gaffes.. I could pull out plenty by both Biden and Obama. I must have missed the swearing during debates and speeches? As for "warmongering", im guessing you dont want Obama to win if thats the case given what he has said re: Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Obama steady government? Inexperienced and one the most liberal senators with what some would call a crazy guy for VP? Not so sure if that is "steady".

Honestly im more in the case where out of the two, McCain and Obama I'd prefer McCain to win but im not thrilled with either candidate. I think Romney and Hillary Clinton would be better choices, but voters have got the two they want.

But yes I think both McCain and Obama deserve to be POTUS if they're elected. They aren't great candidates imo but it could be worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back