Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Well, whooda thunk it! ...I did, sort of - from my round 14 preview:

My usual Richmond preview time has come. Turns out the Tigers are on the brink of being the real deal. They've lost five games and excluding the Crows game they'd have been by a total of 15 points.

Nonetheless they're a very young side with energy and a core of elite seniors that can worry any side on their day (except in September). They've rejuvenated their squad with a mosquito fleet that is adding just about the competition's best forward pressure and showing that despite the lack of talent on paper for the likes of Castagna, Lambert etc - effort trumps all.

So I suppose effort and self belief is a powerful force, watching the Tigers in the preseason they look like a well oiled machine. Winning games without getting out of 2nd gear, but that second gear is still manic and grinds the opposition down. The Dons and Kangas looked alright in the first quarters of their games and managed to get through the Tigers forward half press but as soon as the tired legs kicked in suddenly it was Tiger ambush and Harlem Globetrotter like display.

Richmond Preseason Form

No signs of a hangover and aside from Houli, Rioli and Prestia (pretty key players mind you) they're at peak fitness. What's a bit frightening is Dusty looks like he actually gives half a s**t this year and he's finding more of the footy.

Tigers will IMO play Shai Bolton after a promising preseason and he should ease the Rioli pain while they will be buoyed by the efforts of Jayden Short in Houli's absence

Carlton Preseason Form

*De Niro Face* Not bad, not bad!

How do we cover the loss of Bryce Gibbs in an already weak midfield? Answer is the gradual improvement of Zac Fisher, addition of Matt Kennedy, and the returns of key bulls Curnow and Cripps.

Docherty's loss is a bit more difficult, All Australian half backs don't grow on trees but lucky we had a promising Irishman up our sleeve. Along with another year into Jones, Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman we can probably allow some more forward running from our mids while Lord Liam and Weiterbot do their thang.

Teague, Speed, and the curious case of Daisy. The forward line and flankers pushing high up the ground finally looks AFL quality. The pressure and ability to lock it in deep is still not great but it's definitely improving every year. We also have every other club drooling over our kids. Creeps!

Predicted Line Ups:

BLUES
FB:
PLOWMAN, JONES, WEITERING
HB: BYRNE, MARCHBANK, SIMPSON
C: MURPHY, ECURNOW, FISHER
HF: WRIGHT, CCURNOW, THOMAS
FF: SILVAGNI, CASBOULT, GARLETT
R: KREUZER, CRIPPS, KENNEDY
IC: LAMB, DOW, PETREVSKI SETON, CUNINGHAM

EMG: KERRIDGE, MULLETT, MCKAY

TIGERS
FB:
GRIMES, RANCE, SHORT
HB: B.ELLIS, ASTBURY, VLASTUIN
C: EDWARDS, LAMBERT, MCINTOSH
HF: CADDY, TOWNSEND, BUTLER
FF: BOLTON, RIEWOLDT, CASTAGNA
R: NANKERVIS, COTCHIN, MARTIN
IC: GRAHAM, GRIGG, C.ELLIS, CONCA

EMG: BROAD, LLOYD, MOORE

LAST TIME WE MET

tsdYSyTmYv1eJdAf6sfpKOqeFqhwwXK2cEuW6S2U2ao

KEY PLAYERS AND MATCH UPS:

Tiger small forwards vs. our defense: This is where I worry, we struggle when our defense isn't as well structured as usual and the reputation of the Richmond pressure will infer pressure from the very start. Marchbank and Weitering have some kicking howlers at the best of times but I've already made my peace with about 4 goals from easy turn overs. Then there's the unselfish nature of the Tigers and like the Hawks in the first half of JLT2, there are plenty of gaps if the opposition want to exploit it.

Rance - Keep it away from him, try to break even if you're his opponent but for the love of Judd keep it where he isn't!

Don't go to ground - I worry about this point, in all of the Tigers' big wins they seem to fill 80% of the screen and run in waves with precise and quick hands/kicks. I see us too often miss tackles or go to ground trying to salvage a kick to the toes or bad hand pass, we'll get punished if this happens too often.

Pickett - They don't have a great match up for him...then again, nobody does! The challenge is getting him involved enough

MY TIP - RICHMOND BY 45 (LATE BLOW OUT)

We should put up a good fight and will show great signs but in the end we might look back and think "s**t, the margin was that much?". Tigers are confident, well drilled and the crowd will be pushing them down hill. Blues have shown plenty already but I get a feeling we're going to succumb to - if you haven't heard yet - the premiers...

Last edited:

Thanks Zee I reckon Lamb will play instead of Garlett and yeh not sure how we beat them...but stranger things happened, unless their over confident which doesn’t appear to be the case

Go Blues

We seem to have acquired the 'find a way' attitude of the hawks, if we are within 20 at the last change then i reckon we are a decent chance.

Thanks Zee I reckon Lamb will play instead of Garlett and yeh not sure how we beat them...but stranger things happened, unless their over confident which doesn’t appear to be the case

Go Blues

Agree on the Lamb switch, though have been thinking we’re a shot with this one for some months - muddied a little with the surprising pre-season form of the Tiges however.

Actually didn’t think Lamb was too bad last night, might be his year to shine. Didn’t like the way he grabbed Impey’s bum though, I’d headbutt him too!

I don’t think we will get done by too much against Richmond. Might be closer than we all think and who knows, we love a good upset on the big stage so that’s what I’m hoping for.

Heart sats Blues by 11, head says Tigers by 37.

Great write up Zee

Solid team selected for round 1 and interesting how it would look if Lang and Willo were fit.

I agree with keeping Rance away from the ball/contest. I would suggest playing through his man and drawing him out of the forward 50. We need to stop him impacting as the 3rd man up, in the 50 metre arc

Interested to see, if we continue with the attacking nature of our evolving game-plan from the JLT or a slightly more measured approach. It may lead to more turnover opportunities for the Tigers to hurt us the other way, but hopefully Bolts and the players hold their nerve and continue to take the game on.

We have to win the contested possession and clearances, if are any chance of an upset. Unfortunately I also agree the Tigers should win, by around 4 goals

My gut feel is Bolton may play Kerridge for this one. Will be gunning for a good result and mature bodies who can run out a game is vital. With SPS not yet fully fit, Lang the same and playing Dow he may go that way? There is always a surprise

Left field comment. Would you play Lamb on Rance in a shutdown role? Did a great job on Sicily.

Great write up Zee

Solid team selected for round 1 and interesting how it would look if Lang and Willo were fit.

I agree with keeping Rance away from the ball/contest. I would suggest playing through his man and drawing him out of the forward 50. We need to stop him impacting as the 3rd man up, in the 50 metre arc

Interested to see, if we continue with the attacking nature of our evolving game-plan from the JLT or a slightly more measured approach. It may lead to more turnover opportunities for the Tigers to hurt us the other way, but hopefully Bolts and the players hold their nerve and continue to take the game on.

We have to win the contested possession and clearances, if are any chance of an upset. Unfortunately I also agree the Tigers should win, by around 4 goals

Would be a good result

My gut feel is Bolton may play Kerridge for this one. Will be gunning for a good result and mature bodies who can run out a game is vital. With SPS not yet fully fit, Lang the same and playing Dow he may go that way? There is always a surprise

Left field comment. Would you play Lamb on Rance in a shutdown role? Did a great job on Sicily.
There's about 4-5 kgs difference between Lamb and Sicily. There's about 15 between him and Rance.

Rance would also run off him far more readily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way Kerridge plays. Reckon Bolts has made it clear who is a chance for round 1 - Kerridge not selected for either JLT game.

Samo to play Round 1 - half a game of footy is enough for Bolts to give Samo the all ok. Last year he didn't have any practice games. Samo's touches and skills are too good to leave him out of the team.

I wouldn't call myself nieve or a one eyed Carlton supporter.

But with our young list and coaching. I refuse to believe we are not a chance of beating any side this year. We will make each win against us be hard fought.

I think we are a chance against Richmond.

Ive got no doubt Kruze will play but assumng he didnt get up how we we structure up?. Would Cas play purely ruck?. Lobbe come in?. Would Mckay have to play?.

This would be a disaster. The only team that 'got' Rance was Geelong when they isolated him against Harry Taylor but even that didn't work the second time.

We just need to be a bit smarter going into the forward line. Rance feeds off balls coming in high and slow, our midfield suited him perfectly the last few times we have played them. Get the ball to Fisher and Dow will be better for our forwards. Rance also plays well when he can zone off his opponent. Gotta play through whoever he is on, they need to run him to spots he doesn't want to be, and the mids need to honour the leads to make him accountable.

Dusty will fend off if he feels threatened by a tackler. We need to learn to brush the fend off aside before going in for the tackle. If necessary, get in a martial arts expert to teach the boys the necessary skill of pushing aside the outstretched arm. A couple of hours training two weeks in a row should be enough to help deal with that s**t before round one.

When our defenders win the ball back, need the mids and forwards to start moving immediately, otherwise they have no option but to bomb it long from the contest. This is how the forward pressure of the Tigers gives them repeat entries. If we can provide a couple of options, we may be able to break out of the 60 metre zone they set up when going forward.

Finally, would like to see us play to our strengths a bit more this season, instead of reacting to the opposition too much. If we can break even in the middle and run both ways, we will be up to our necks in this at the business end of the game.

I wouldn't call myself nieve or a one eyed Carlton supporter.

But with our young list and coaching. I refuse to believe we are not a chance of beating any side this year. We will make each win against us be hard fought.

I think we are a chance against Richmond.

I think we can all agree we are a chance against anyone on a given day.

But let's be honest, our chances of winning this game is slim, which is no shame since as are up against the reigning premiers who look to have continued their form into this year with 2 thrashings, even if they were weaker opposition.

This is gonna be a real tough one. After coming off a premiership and a finals series where no-one got within 8 goals of them, they're supremely confident and look to have brought that form into 2018.

I'd be happy for us to revert back to some more defensive football if it gives us a better chance at winning. We know they're probably going to lock it in their forward 50 for extended periods of time, so we have to make sure we apply enough pressure to allow scrappy entries and the chance of winning the aerial battle through the exploits of Jones, Weitering and Marchbank. From here, we need to judiciously slingshot. Winning/halving contests from clearing kicks and the pace and craftiness of, among others, Byrne, Fisher and Pickett being important.

Like the pattern of many recent Richmond games, I can see us keeping up with them for a while before they break it open late. However, it seems this group has some good resilience and a more than decent little coach upstairs. Should be a good challenge to start the year.

Crippa to plant his knee squarely in the middle of Rances’s back, just like he did to Frawley last night.
One problem solved.
Bam Bam to make a beeline for Dusty at first bounce and smash him into oblivion
2nd problem solved
Blues win by 10 goals. Happy Days!

When in doubt go the Hawthorn/Essendon gameday strat ya reckon lol! If the opposition is better than you .. hurt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back