Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gibbs and Doch were in this team, we’d give it a good shake. But we’ve lost 2 of our best 5. Best to keep expectations in check.

Who's to say we couldn't perform better this match (even this year) without them? I'd be more concerned about losing them during a season.

Geelong losing Ablett didn't stop them from winning another flag. Franklin didn't stop Hawthorn from winning another two. Losing Dangerfield didn't see Adelaide drop. Deledio (who by the way, used to be heavily tied to Richmond's success) left at the end of an ordinary year and before you know it, Richmond win a premiership.

Yes, Gibbs and Doc are big names to lose. But at least it came at the right time. We certainly do have the answers to replace them and are now all for testing them out. On top of that, more team synergy, more development for kids, some attacking flair, etc. Thursday week doesn't look to be all that bad, despite common expectations.

I believe this match against the tigers won't be as one-sided as most tend to think. I do believe Richmond will win, but from what I've seen of the team and their progression, there's every chance the blue boys can give them a run for their money. There is even the VERY small chance that Carlton can claim victory. Anything is possible.

I actually think we will be better off with out Gibbs. Kennedy goes into the middle and provides more of a hard edge, and we have got some fast moving outside players to receive from Cripps and Kennedy. As goods as Gibbs is, because of his lack of pace he struggled to break away and get clean kicks and would often bomb it Mitch Robinson style. I think our midfield will be more balanced after the first 5 or 6 games than it was last year.

Having watched JLT 1&2 I have no doubt Thomas and lamb will be picked. Their form has been good (daisy more so than lamb), but it’s their two way running and hardness (yup, hardness) that will see them selected.

Here’s a matchup from left field. Play lamb on that sheepdog Grigg. Is an important player for them when he gets out by himself (even though he still kicks it higher than long) as a running link man. Grigg still pulls out when it’s his turn to go and would fall apart when physically challenged. Would upset their structures and provide great entertainment for us!

In saying that I see lamb tormenting houli or one of their running backs..
Let you in on a little secret...Houli wont be playing.
Which is a shame as I too would have liked to have seen Lamb ruffle Houli’s feathers a bit.

Who's to say we couldn't perform better this match (even this year) without them? I'd be more concerned about losing them during a season.

Geelong losing Ablett didn't stop them from winning another flag. Franklin didn't stop Hawthorn from winning another two. Losing Dangerfield didn't see Adelaide drop. Deledio (who by the way, used to be heavily tied to Richmond's success) left at the end of an ordinary year and before you know it, Richmond win a premiership.

Yes, Gibbs and Doc are big names to lose. But at least it came at the right time. We certainly do have the answers to replace them and are now all for testing them out. On top of that, more team synergy, more development for kids, some attacking flair, etc. Thursday week doesn't look to be all that bad, despite common expectations.

I believe this match against the tigers won't be as one-sided as most tend to think. I do believe Richmond will win, but from what I've seen of the team and their progression, there's every chance the blue boys can give them a run for their money. There is even the VERY small chance that Carlton can claim victory. Anything is possible.

It certainly is! Will happily eat crow if I’m wrong.

I actually think we will be better off with out Gibbs. Kennedy goes into the middle and provides more of a hard edge, and we have got some fast moving outside players to receive from Cripps and Kennedy. As goods as Gibbs is, because of his lack of pace he struggled to break away and get clean kicks and would often bomb it Mitch Robinson style. I think our midfield will be more balanced after the first 5 or 6 games than it was last year.

Haven't seen a first year onballer at Carlton with as much hunger and class as Dow before. We've needed a strong smart inside player next to Cripps for 2 years- and finally Kennedy arrives - perfect fit for needs. I think Dow is going to be sensational for us in his first year - off the mark speed, smarts and a goer - could be anything a couple of years from now.

Good news re houli as he is an important player for them. So who does lamb torment? Ellis. Broad. Short..
B. Ellis can be a bit fiery. Grimes is a very physical player, wouldn't suggest Lamb take him on. One of the younger forwards might be a little less attuned to the mind games and may bite back.

Good post. Just on last year, if we had of kicked straight we would of won by 10 goals. Now a lot of you are focusing on our fab 4 which is a mistake.

Our sucess is based on our all ground press. We feast and drive our offence on turn over. Good kicking sides are sides we feast on as we deny space.

Our "spuds" perform so well due to the fact when we force a turnover they are in prime position to create.

The blues have decent kids, so i expect them to fight to the last. The blues have improved but IMO if i expect you blokes to be right in it till half time but when the legs tire and turn overs become for frequent we will then bust the game open.

Tigers by 40 odd

It hurts me to say it, but I agree with this post.

Richmond play a similar game to the way Hawthorn played last week and we were lucky to get over the line. Hawthorn's pressure in their front half forced us into turnovers & skill errors but they were unable to capitalise with poor goal kicking despite 10 more scoring shots than us.
We will be competitive but I don't think our young inexperienced side will be able to withstand their pressure for 4 quarters.
Richmond by 23 points.

Despite my seemingly pessimistic Rd 1 post, I am upbeat about our coming season. 10 wins will be a great stepping stone to our 2019 finals campaign.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team Round 1 2017

B Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering, Kade Simpson
HB Harrison Macreadie, Sam Rowe, Caleb Marchbank
C Sam Docherty, Bryce Gibbs, Jarrod Pickett
HF Dennis Armfield, Levi Casboult, Matthew Wright
F Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Dale Thomas
FOL Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Marc Murphy
I/C Sam Petrevski-Seton, Billie Smedts, Charlie Curnow, Simon White

Team Round 14 2017

B Sam Docherty, Liam Jones, Jacob Weitering
HB Lachie Plowman, Caleb Marchbank, Dale Thomas
C Kade Simpson, Patrick Cripps, Matthew Wright
HF Ed Curnow, Levi Casboult, Billie Smedts
F Jarrod Pickett, Charlie Curnow, Jack Silvagni
FOL Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy
I/C Sam Petrevski-Seton, Blaine Boekhorst, Jed Lamb, Nick Graham

In bold, players no longer at the club, underlined, players that are unlikely to play round 1, 5 in total, from the last meeting

The additions for round 1 seem to be Kennedy, Byrne, Dow, Cuningham.

That leaves a few players fighting for one spot. Which of the following will be selected for that one spot, O'Shea, Mullet, LOB, McKay or if fit Willo, Lang Garlett? Or could Macreadie surprise again for round 1 this year

Our top end talent in Gibbs and Doc has taken a hit, but I believe our bottom 6 options have improved considerably
My team for Round 1

B: Byrne, Weitering, Plowman
HB: O'Shea, Marchbank, Williamson
C: Cuningham, Cripps, Murphy
HF: C.Curnow, Casboult, Fisher
F: SPS, McKay, Thomas
R: Kreuzer, Kennedy, Dow
I/C: SOSOS, E.Curnow, Simpson, Wright

Emerg: Jones, Pickett, Lamb.

Green Shoots. Green Shoots Everywhere!!!
  • O'Shea - Couldn't have been more impressive. Only played 24% of game time against the Hawks yet racked up 10 possessions & 4 tackles. Also put in a very solid 4 quarter effort against Sandringham the week before. Against a smaller Tuggers forward line, O'Shea's endurance and quality ball use sees him edge out Jones.
  • Fisher - Really impressed with the growth in his game over the summer. Vision, decision-making and disposal is excellent, while his ability to team with Cripps & Kennedy has been impressive.
  • Kennedy - Already made a home for himself in the guts where he's already proved to be a great organiser with his midfield craft for set plays. Never realised how powerful a kick he is. The most exciting thing about Kennedy is that he still has enormous growth left in his game.
  • Dow - Absolutely he starts. Reckon he'll thrive on energy of the big occasion rather than being overawed by it. Wind him up, put him the guts and set him loose. Arguably the most exciting midfield prospect since Heeney.
  • Weitering - Just leave him down back FFS.
On The Cusp:
  • Cuningham - I remain to be convinced about Cuningham, and no more so than as a defender. Decision-making and disposal skills coming out of the back half are poor. Would much rather him up around the midfield & HFF where he can be a little more creative and where his tackling skills are required. Will have both Garlett and Lang right up his clacker gunning for his spot over the next month or so if he can't perform.
  • McKay - Another I remain to be totally convinced about. The club needs to invest games into him just like they did with SOSOS and Charlie if they're serious about his development. His cause would be helped no end by some consistent quality supply out of the midfield.
Controversy Abounds:
  • No Jones - I've only gone with the one genuine KPD as the Tigers will only have one genuine KPF. Did some nice things through the JLT series, but in 24 disposals, 8 of them were genuine clangers and the Tuggers are masters of punishing you on the turnover. Interesting stat from the Hawthorn game was that 8.8 of their half time score of 8.12 came from turnovers. Think opposition clubs have a little better handle on how to counter Jones now and the Tuggers have the tools to expose him in 2 of those areas. I still make the change somewhat reluctantly though as omitting Jones does rob the backline of some of its genuine contested marking power and I'd certainly bring him back against the Suns where a gorilla tamer is required.
  • No Pickett - We don't have an 8 man bench where we can afford to carry someone who only gets their hands on the ball 6-7 times a game. Pressure and work-rate will be key in this game and Pickett doesn't bring it......sorry. Think we stand a much better chance of obtaining those desired results more consistently out of Thomas & Wright at this stage. Happy to bring him back once he's demonstrated these qualities at VFL level.
  • No Lamb - Sam Kekovich will be pissed. While I like Lamb's defensive quality he doesn't really hurt the opposition the other way. Cuningham's ability to be a better midfield option sees him just get the nod on this occasion.

Controversy Abounds:
  • No Jones - I've only gone with the one genuine KPD as the Tigers will only have one genuine KPF. Did some nice things through the JLT series, but in 24 disposals, 8 of them were genuine clangers and the Tuggers are masters of punishing you on the turnover. Interesting stat from the Hawthorn game was that 8.8 of their half time score of 8.12 came from turnovers. Think opposition clubs have a little better handle on how to counter Jones now and the Tuggers have the tools to expose him in 2 of those areas. I still make the change somewhat reluctantly though as omitting Jones does rob the backline of some of its genuine contested marking power and I'd certainly bring him back against the Suns where a gorilla tamer is required.

Jones plays I reckon as has the mobility to go with some of the smalls of Richmond. And if Riewoldt starts getting on top of one of our younger defenders we can move Jones on to him.

No team likes having to deal with chaos balls in space and having to defend against blokes who are seriously fast, creative and unpredictable.

Pickett and Fisher pick themselves after JLT and any player who can add to that mix of hardness, speed and scary attacking flair is an essential part of Carlton's future game plan - a fit Garlett walks into the side - Lamb has figured out that his role is to put better players to advantage and in doing this last week against Hawks he went to a new level in his game. Similarly - SOJ as a creative HFF now has some blokes he can actually target his excellent field kicking ability and make an impact creatively. if you want to maximise Charlie's impact - get everyone else right away from him clear space. you don't want plodders like Casboult or beginners who don't know where to be like McKay anywhere near Charlie as preferred targets- use them to suck defenders away and only kick to them if they are on their pat malone.

This is the stuff that makes me pretty excited - as much as seeing the emergence of Cripps/Kennedy/SPS and Dow as the beginnings of a core championship quality midfield.

Carlton wont have the physical endurance to match Richmond over 4 quarters - that will be the difference.

My team for Round 1

• O'Shea - Couldn't have been more impressive. Only played 24% of game time against the Hawks yet racked up 10 possessions & 4 tackles. Also put in a very solid 4 quarter effort against Sandringham the week before. Against a smaller Tuggers forward line, O'Shea's endurance and quality ball use sees him edge out Jones.
  • Fisher - Really impressed with the growth in his game over the summer. Vision, decision-making and disposal is excellent, while his ability to team with Cripps & Kennedy has been impressive.
  • Kennedy - Already made a home for himself in the guts where he's already proved to be a great organiser with his midfield craft for set plays. Never realised how powerful a kick he is. The most exciting thing about Kennedy is that he still has enormous growth left in his game.
  • Dow - Absolutely he starts. Reckon he'll thrive on energy of the big occasion rather than being overawed by it. Wind him up, put him the guts and set him loose. Arguably the most exciting midfield prospect since Heeney.
On The Cusp:
  • Cuningham - I remain to be convinced about Cuningham, and no more so than as a defender. Decision-making and disposal skills coming out of the back half are poor. Would much rather him up around the midfield & HFF where he can be a little more creative and where his tackling skills are required. Will have both Garlett and Lang right up his clacker gunning for his spot over the next month or so if he can't perform.
  • McKay - Another I remain to be totally convinced about. The club needs to invest games into him just like they did with SOSOS and Charlie if they're serious about his development. His cause would be helped no end by some consistent quality supply out of the midfield.
Controversy Abounds:
  • No Pickett - We don't have an 8 man bench where we can afford to carry someone who only gets their hands on the ball 6-7 times a game. Pressure and work-rate will be key in this game and Pickett doesn't bring it......sorry. Think we stand a much better chance of obtaining those desired results more consistently out of Thomas & Wright at this stage. Happy to bring him back once he's demonstrated these qualities at VFL level.
  • No Lamb - Sam Kekovich will be pissed. While I like Lamb's defensive quality he doesn't really hurt the opposition the other way. Cuningham's ability to be a better midfield option sees him just get the nod on this occasion.
Ok then

My team for Round 1

On The Cusp:
Controversy Abounds:
How about Asos (if hes fit) as #1 KPD.
think he'd be the best match up for Riewolt (better than Jones...)

Team Round 1 2017

B Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering, Kade Simpson
HB Harrison Macreadie, Sam Rowe, Caleb Marchbank
C Sam Docherty, Bryce Gibbs, Jarrod Pickett
HF Dennis Armfield, Levi Casboult, Matthew Wright
F Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Dale Thomas
FOL Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Marc Murphy
I/C Sam Petrevski-Seton, Billie Smedts, Charlie Curnow, Simon White

Not likely to be massive differences but when you consider the improvement/progression of the younger players Weits, Pickett, Fisher, SPS, SOS and Curnow and Marchbank who all played round 1 last year. Cripps has had a proper pre-season and I'd hope we're a more cohesive unit.

Having said that the Tigers are purring at the moment so the margin will likely be similar.

Dow can play inside and outside which is awesome he has the speed to give us the run on the outside but also has what it takes to be a inside player as well.

My team for Round 1

On The Cusp:
Controversy Abounds:
No disrespect but Jones plays every game this year and probably gets an AA jumper.

No disrespect but Jones plays every game this year and probably gets an AA jumper.

Only when form warrants it .... if he drops ... there are others nipping at his heels to push that turnaround beast to AA, just to keep him honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back