Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this in a different thread, but should probably put it in here too.

This is the team I think we'll see next Thursday night against the Tigers.

B: Byrne - Jones - Plowman
HB: Simpson - Weitering - Marchbank
C: E Curnow - Kennedy - Mullett
HF: Lamb - C Curnow - Fisher
F: Silvagni - Casboult - Wright
R: Kreuzer - Cripps - Murphy
Int: Dow - SPS - Cuningham - Thomas
Emer: LOB - McKay - O'Shea - Lobbe

Not considered (injury) - Pickett, Docherty, Rowe, Lang, Williamson

A few notes...

1) Harry - Don't think he did enough through the preseason games to warrant selection, but there is an argument to be made that he'll be better off developing at senior level regardless. I think we'll look far more dangerous across the ground with an extra small so I've given his spot to Lamb in the above side.

2) Mullett - I've gone for him over Garlett for the last spot in our side, but only just and it won't surprise should we go the other way. Garlett well and truly on the cusp but the shoulder injury in JLT1 may just work against him here.

3) Lang/Williamson - I have both in our best 22 but I think we can play it safe rather than rush either or both into the side on the back of interrupted preseasons.

it isn't rushing it if Lang plays. He has been training for quite some time

Pace is not the only asset required to be a good AFL player. Lamb we know is a negating forward, he took Sicily out of the game when we beat Hawks last year and could see a similar role for him in 2018.

What exactly has Garlett done to warrant selection?
Lamb is just not up to it. I wish people would stop referring to a game he won 7 free kicks in as a reason for him to be best 22, when he's done pretty much nothing else in every other game. He's slow, not just by foot, but by mind, he holds up our play. He can't mark, he doesn't get enough tackles and he doesn't kick enough goals.

Lamb is just not up to it. I wish people would stop referring to a game he won 7 free kicks in as a reason for him to be best 22, when he's done pretty much nothing else in every other game. He's slow, not just by foot, but by mind, he holds up our play. He can't mark, he doesn't get enough tackles and he doesn't kick enough goals.

I'm not really a Lamb fan and was hoping for a 22 without him. Having said that, with Doch, Garlett, Pickett, Lang, Williamson under injury clouds, I got to admit he comes into calculations based on availability. L OBrien is too green yet to take a r1 spot in our 22 with Dow also a risk (not two of them).

Without injuries he probably misses but i'll give him this...he does get involved and you either hate or like him. He is an upgrade on previous fringers like Armfield, Sumner, Buckley, Boekhurst.

IMO Lamb is actually finally starting to show something. Small forward craft is really mostly about pressure and aggression now, and Lamb is really starting to bring it. Consider Richmond's small forward line, no-one would call them particularly skillful.

Hi Guys,

Is there no longer a spot for Rowe in your best 22?
Rowe was becoming a bit of a dinosaur with the game now requiring talls to be decent at ground level. What little agility he had before doing his knee will only be worse now. That said the man beat cancer and came back, writing him off only makes him stronger

Not sure. Won't be easy that's for sure.

Jones has been a revelation but people may have forgotten how well Rowe was traveling. gave Joe Daniher a bath .

Agree solid customer our Rowe, disciplined footballer that gives his all for 4 quarters. He'll be back, we'll have more options and flexibility when he's up and about again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Lamb is actually finally starting to show something. Small forward craft is really mostly about pressure and aggression now, and Lamb is really starting to bring it. Consider Richmond's small forward line, no-one would call them particularly skillful.

Rowe was becoming a bit of a dinosaur with the game now requiring talls to be decent at ground level. What little agility he had before doing his knee will only be worse now. That said the man beat cancer and came back, writing him off only makes him stronger

Lamb is ok in almost all areas. Ok speed, ok smarts, ok bodywork, ok skills, ok agility, ok size, ok aggression..

He needs to work on and nail one part of his game to stay in the team.

Become a deadly set shot like Tory Dickson. Be a marking threat one on one like Chad Wingard. Be a tackling machine like Paul Puopolo. Something.

At the moment he's a bit of a nothing player.

It’s the Simon White effect; plays a reasonable game on Dusty once and all of a sudden he’s the #1 lockdown midfielder in the game.

Lamb is ok in almost all areas. Ok speed, ok smarts, ok bodywork, ok skills, ok agility, ok size, ok aggression..

He needs to work on and nail one part of his game to stay in the team.

Become a deadly set shot like Tory Dickson. Be a marking threat one on one like Chad Wingard. Be a tackling machine like Paul Puopolo. Something.

At the moment he's a bit of a nothing player.

Solid role player ... that is the only string to his bow.

Hi Guys,

Is there no longer a spot for Rowe in your best 22?

Perhaps in the forward line, although this hasnt been tested in recent times. He was average as a forward, but that was back quite a few years ago, before he stabilized as a defender. He will have learnt quite a bit over the past 3 years playing on some of the best defenders , and perhaps that can translate into a better forward. He was always a good shot for goal and could take a good mark at times, but his ability to lead and position himself was not optimal IMO. He is not the future, but Harry needs to spend some time in the Northern Blues IMO and start dominating before we bring him back in. To date Harry hasnt been doing this, mostly due to injuries, but what I have seen during the JLT has been a little underwhelming. Therefore there could be a case made to plonk Rowe into the forward line as a place holder, until big H forces him out.

So excited!

This time last year it was Lamb, Lebois ... and the bolter was Macreadie who played Round 1 and held his place for a few weeks.

McKay and O’Brien on the bench.

I predict:

Marchbank. Jones. Byrne.
Simpson. Weitering. Plowman.
Cuningham. Ed Curnow. SPS.
Jack. Charlie Curnow. Fisher.
Wright. Casboult. Dow.

R. Kreuzer. Cripps. Murphy.
I. McKay. Thomas. Kennedy. O’Brien.

E. Garlett. Lamb. Lobbe.

Next few weeks add Williamson and Lang, and then Pickett after the bye.

Feel the rhythm
Feel the rhyme
Look out mods
It's multi-quote time

Option 4:

FB: Plowman Jones Marchbank
HB: Byrne Weitering Simpson
C: E.Curnow Murphy SPS
HF: Wright C.Curnow Fisher
FF: Silvagni Casboult Garlett

R: Kreuzer Cripps Kennedy

Int: Dow, Thomas, Lang, Cuningham

If Lang passes a fitness test, I say play him despite his lack of match fitness. Forget whether or not Garlett plays, if you put Lamb in that team we lose virtually all possibility of our mids rotating forward without making Charlie play some whacky roles he's not very good at.

Just throw LOB or Polson into the mix on the bench, as only Dow and Fisher are going to struggle late in the game.

This is why I thought it was a battle between Casboult and McKay, and one I'd hoped he'd be able to win after a solid pre-season, but he just doesn't have the ability to keep making position and seems to throw out too many high-intensity efforts as the club experimented with him playing a high-pressure role in the forward area.

Fact is, Charlie has OK pressure for a tall, while Jack and Levi are below average and rubbish respectively. But Levi nets marks, and Jack and Charlie are more aggressive and decisive with the football in hand, so McKay needs to improve in the above areas before he gets a regular spot in the 22.

This also raises the possibility that he can come in to replace Jack, but we'll see how that unfolds over the first couple of months this season.

lakc6V0.gif

If on any given day you are in the bottom 5 players from both teams as far as acceleration off the mark goes, you are slow. Let's not bring this s**t up over and over again.

Watts is the medium forward in that composition, with Wingard and Motlop operating at ground level. So they don't have a SOS-type player in their mix, but instead have the option of rotating Rockliff, Boak and Gray where would play Wright.

That's a scary good midfield if they can maintain possession in open play.

He just needs to play a roaming CHF role at VFL level. It will get him fitter, and will better translate to how he will be expected to play in the AFL.

Some opportunities to get stints in the ruck given Phillips on-going issues would be welcome also.
Feel the rhythm
Feel the rhyme
Look out mods
It's multi-quote time

Option 4:

FB: Plowman Jones Marchbank
HB: Byrne Weitering Simpson
C: E.Curnow Murphy SPS
HF: Wright C.Curnow Fisher
FF: Silvagni Casboult Garlett

R: Kreuzer Cripps Kennedy

Int: Dow, Thomas, Lang, Cuningham

If Lang passes a fitness test, I say play him despite his lack of match fitness. Forget whether or not Garlett plays, if you put Lamb in that team we lose virtually all possibility of our mids rotating forward without making Charlie play some whacky roles he's not very good at.

Just throw LOB or Polson into the mix on the bench, as only Dow and Fisher are going to struggle late in the game.

This is why I thought it was a battle between Casboult and McKay, and one I'd hoped he'd be able to win after a solid pre-season, but he just doesn't have the ability to keep making position and seems to throw out too many high-intensity efforts as the club experimented with him playing a high-pressure role in the forward area.

Fact is, Charlie has OK pressure for a tall, while Jack and Levi are below average and rubbish respectively. But Levi nets marks, and Jack and Charlie are more aggressive and decisive with the football in hand, so McKay needs to improve in the above areas before he gets a regular spot in the 22.

Not sure why people think Charlie’s pressure is good. Charlie., Levi and Wright are our three worst pressure players in our forward line. It was interesting seeing Levi not being in our forward line against the Hawks and how much better it functioned. On Pre-Season form Charlie is a real concern and it’s time to go past Wright. We have Polson, Garlett and Lang waiting in the wings.

This also raises the possibility that he can come in to replace Jack, but we'll see how that unfolds over the first couple of months this season.

lakc6V0.gif

If on any given day you are in the bottom 5 players from both teams as far as acceleration off the mark goes, you are slow. Let's not bring this s**t up over and over again.

Watts is the medium forward in that composition, with Wingard and Motlop operating at ground level. So they don't have a SOS-type player in their mix, but instead have the option of rotating Rockliff, Boak and Gray where would play Wright.

That's a scary good midfield if they can maintain possession in open play.

He just needs to play a roaming CHF role at VFL level. It will get him fitter, and will better translate to how he will be expected to play in the AFL.

Some opportunities to get stints in the ruck given Phillips on-going issues would be welcome also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back