Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So only those players will do the pressuring and chasing, not the likes of SPS, Garlett, Fisher, Byrne Simpson, Lamb, Dow, Ed Curnow, Thomas or Murphy?

So when you put those other players around the taller players (although Kennedy is listed at 188cm on footywire) then you have plenty of pressure, especially as I said when the tall blokes are pretty mobile.

To answer you question specifically;
"You’re comfortable that when the ball hits the deck in the forward line, you’ll have Casboult, McKay, JSOS, Curnow, Wright and some part time midfielders pressuring Richmond and the ball?" First off players do rotate through the bench and Curnow will be rotating through the middle I doubt this exact combo will be together all that much but if you added Garlett as the 6th player and had the likes of Fisher and SPS pushing in from the midfield as the ball came in yes I would be happy.

"Or when Richmond get the ball and gut run on the break, you’re comfortable having Cripps, Kennedy and Curnow giving chase?" Again I doubt these three will all be in the middle together but if you add Fisher, SPS & Dow around them yes I am happy

"Or when Richmond are on the counter and looking to go over the top of the defense, having Jones, Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman chasing small forwards?" Plowman showed last year he can handle the small forwards really well and if we had Byrne & Simpson to help him out I am happy.

Now will Richmond be happy when Weitering and Marchbank keep marking everything that comes into their forward line? Will they be happy when we keep taking marks inside our 50? Will they be happy when Kennedy and Cripps keep winning clearances with their big bodies? We can't be too reactive, we can set the agenda as well!

We’ll have to see how the game unfolds.

Not doubting the ability of our tall backs but I still think we will be too top heavy.

Weitering, Jones, Marchbank, Plowman.

Who are Richmond's talls in the forward line Jack Riewoldt and who else?

We are just too tall on paper and on the field.

Unless Weitering plays on the wing with C. Curnow as a link up?

Simpson, Byrne can play on a small and give us run the other way.

Not doubting the ability of our tall backs but I still think we will be too top heavy.

Unless Weitering plays on the wing as a link up?

Plowman is not a tall, he is only 191cm and takes the opposition best small forward.

With him Byrne and Simpson (plus I wouldn't mind betting we start a 7th defender, probably a wingman) that gives us plenty of run and aerial superiority which is a dangerous mix.

Limited 'first come first served' standing room only for AFL members according to an email I got today, only a handful of restricted viewing seats left to be reserved.

I reckon 95-98k will show up.

Plowman is not a tall, he is only 191cm and takes the opposition best small forward.

With him Byrne and Simpson (plus I wouldn't mind betting we start a 7th defender, probably a wingman) that gives us plenty of run and aerial superiority which is a dangerous mix.

The game is going to be hot at the start we have to match them and make sure our errors don't hurt us.

But what I saw against the Hawks in the JLT we didn't handle the pressure at all.

That's why the backline need to be up and about especially when the heat is really on.

Why are we so obsessed with the height (or lack of eg: Fisher) of our team?

We have talk, athletics players. Cripps is 195cm, taller than Reidwolt yet plays as a mid. Too tall?
Exactly! People talk about our backline being too tall and then discuss playing Marchbank and Weitering on a wing to fix it - if they are athletic enough to play on a wing I can't see the issue of them playing down back.

Our athletic talls are our big weapon, surround them with the speed of Fisher, Byrne SPS & Garlett (plus the rest) and let them loose - intercept mark, quick release to a runner, break the line and quick quick to a marking forward - it is a pretty easy game.

The game is going to be hot at the start we have to match them and make sure our errors don't hurt us.

But what I saw against the Hawks in the JLT we didn't handle the pressure at all.

That's why the backline need to be up and about especially when the heat is really on.

I assume you are talking about theirs, Cripps Kennedy, Kreuzer, Murphy in at the centre bounce with Fisher and SPS on the wings and the ball should fly into our forward 50!! ;)

Why are we so obsessed with the height (or lack of eg: Fisher) of our team?

We have talk, athletics players. Cripps is 195cm, taller than Reidwolt yet plays as a mid. Too tall?

Exactly! People talk about our backline being too tall and then discuss playing Marchbank and Weitering on a wing to fix it - if they are athletic enough to play on a wing I can't see the issue of them playing down back.

Our athletic talls are our big weapon, surround them with the speed of Fisher, Byrne SPS & Garlett (plus the rest) and let them loose - intercept mark, quick release to a runner, break the line and quick quick to a marking forward - it is a pretty easy game.

Spot on!

You play to your strengths. You tailor your game-plan and especially tactics to those strengths.

Surely people are not suggesting a best 22 , that is made up of smaller types, yet are currently ranked best 23 - 28th best player ?

Play your best team, then adjust your tactics to negate the opposition's strengths

Unless Weitering plays on the wing with C. Curnow as a link up?

I get where you're coming from but really Plowman is a medium and Marchbank while fairly tall is more a running, rebounding player than a true tall defender.

Regardless, my view on this, in terms of game tactics is Weitering should maybe play forward. You're right Riewoldt is their only true tall fwd, and so who not deploy Weiters fwd and use Levi as a decoy. This would mean Charlie and Weitering, and to a lesser extent Jack Silvagni, get the lesser defenders, assuming Rance has to keep an eye on Levi. We'd need to have a very open fwdline so that Rance doesn't get assistance from teammates. But that could work because it looked like in the JLT the Blues were playing an almost Pagan's Paddock like game style characterised by an open fwdline with players especially smalls running back into space quickly once we got the break. Weiters and Jack are smart and Charlie is athletic, so they can use their respective strengths to try and get on the end of a few and contribute to the scoreboard that way. I prefer this approach to a traditional stocked fwdline because I think our backs are going to need all the help they can get. Tigers play a tackle/pressure heavy game in their fwd 50 so it'll be ugly foot for much of the night I think. Our only chance is to hurt them on the break. That's why Pickett out is a real nuisance. He was shaping up for a small bag in this game.

That's my take anyhow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on!

You play to your strengths. You tailor your game-plan and especially tactics to those strengths.

Surely people are not suggesting a best 22 , that is made up of smaller types, yet are currently ranked best 23 - 28th best player ?

Play your best team, then adjust your tactics to negate the opposition's strengths

Hang on. More so on Macca's post, Weiters is a relatively athletic footballer for a tall but he is not quick.
The issue is not are we too tall, it is are we going to be too slow down back.

I get where you're coming from but really Plowman is a medium and Marchbank while fairly tall is more a running, rebounding player than a true tall defender.

Regardless, my view on this, in terms of game tactics is Weitering should maybe play forward. You're right Riewoldt is their only true tall fwd, and so who not deploy Weiters fwd and use Levi as a decoy. This would mean Charlie and Weitering, and to a lesser extent Jack Silvagni, get the lesser defenders, assuming Rance has to keep an eye on Levi. We'd need to have a very open fwdline so that Rance doesn't get assistance from teammates. But that could work because it looked like in the JLT the Blues were playing an almost Pagan's Paddock like game style characterised by an open fwdline with players especially smalls running back into space quickly once we got the break. Weiters and Jack are smart and Charlie is athletic, so they can use their respective strengths to try and get on the end of a few and contribute to the scoreboard that way. I prefer this approach to a traditional stocked fwdline because I think our backs are going to need all the help they can get. Tigers play a tackle/pressure heavy game in their fwd 50 so it'll be ugly foot for much of the night I think. Our only chance is to hurt them on the break. That's why Pickett out is a real nuisance. He was shaping up for a small bag in this game.

That's my take anyhow.
Or play Weitering in his best position down back and play McKay, in his best position, in that role up forward.

Hang on. More so on Macca's post, Weiters is a relatively athletic footballer for a tall but he is not quick.
Plowman isn't slow, Byrne is super quick, Simpson isn't slow, Jones has a good turn of pace and Marchbank is a great runner - if Weitering is a little on the slow side I can't see it being an issue.

Or play Weitering in his best position down back and play McKay, in his best position, in that role up forward.

I wouldn't even play McKay.

With all due respect, the blinkered view of having to play players in their best spot is terribly antiquated and inflexible.

Horses for Courses is my view.

Tactics often change by the week and during games.

The tigers have a fairly unique fwdline with only one true tall, it stands to reason mixing things up is a possibility. To bury one's head in the sand is a tad silly IMO.

Weitering has slow reaction time, but reads the ball extremely well, so I would use him as the +1 due to his foot skills

Jones, Plowman, Marchbank, Simpson, Byrne, Cuningham are certainly not slow. Then you have others that could rotate through there if required, guys like Thomas and Mullet. Have a gut feel that Garlett might be a surprise inclusion

Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank, Kreuzer, McKay, Casboult, Charlie, Cripps, JSOS and Matt Kennedy are all 190+. Exactly half the game day team.

The game plan must involve the ball never hitting the deck and Richmond not having any players that can run.
No point having shorter players if they cant play football.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The boys will lift the intensity when the real stuff begins.. pretty confident the lads will make us proud with a guts effort .

I wouldn't even play McKay.

With all due respect, the blinkered view of having to play players in their best spot is terribly antiquated and inflexible.

Horses for Courses is my view.

Tactics often change by the week and during games.

The tigers have a fairly unique fwdline with only one true tall, it stands to reason mixing things up is a possibility. To bury on head in the sand is a tad silly IMO.

Throwing players around and playing them out of position for no apparent reason makes no sense, neither does focusing completely on the opposition and not playing to our own strengths. The Tigers lack of height in their fwd line is a big opportunity for us to exploit it.

As for McKay, he isn't going to develop in the VFL, he needs to be playing AFL.

Throwing players around and playing them out of position for no apparent reason makes no sense, neither does focusing completely on the opposition and not playing to our own strengths. The Tigers lack of height in their fwd line is a big opportunity for us to exploit it.

As for McKay, he isn't going to develop in the VFL, he needs to be playing AFL.

I agree that McKay needs games but we are already tall I don't think we should be playing another tall.

This is the first game he will get games during the year.

You’re comfortable that when the ball hits the deck in the forward line, you’ll have Casboult, McKay, JSOS, Curnow, Wright and some part time midfielders pressuring Richmond and the ball?

Or when Richmond get the ball and gut run on the break, you’re comfortable having Cripps, Kennedy and Curnow giving chase?

Or when Richmond are on the counter and looking to go over the top of the defense, having Jones, Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman chasing small forwards?

I’m not. The team is too top heavy, especially considering the opposition. If this were basketball, we’d win in a canter.
Suggest replacements.

Who do we have that are better players than those mentioned, who are also strong, tough, smart and skillfull as well as being quick and nimble and have good postioning and can read thr play?

Would you prefer to 2nds players just because they are a bit shorter?

Other than McKay all of the players you mentioned pick themselves at this stage. Yes, it isn't the best balance but these are the best we have.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back