Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond Thursday 19th March 7.40pm (EST) @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rush is this will be worse in April than it is right now.

And it will be worse in May than it will be April
And it will probably be worse in June than it will be May.

So they are trying to squeeze in as much footy as they can while the going is good(ish).
Exactly, get games in whilst they can because their might be periods of 3-4 weeks where it has to come to a recess.

I am really intrigued by Gil's "we have 40 weeks comment".

I understand for the hardcore fan that is okay but for many of us like me I am hardly going to be interested in a disjointed season that runs up until Christmas. I think they are being pretty self absorbed if they honestly think you are going to keep people's attention for 40 weeks with disruptions on the way through.

Call an end to live games.

Give each club a copy of the upcoming video game AFL Evolution 2.

Have the captains play against each other weekly, according to the original fixture.

Telecast the games, with commentary from the captains.

AFL 2020 solved!

:)

I am really intrigued by Gil's "we have 40 weeks comment".

I understand for the hardcore fan that is okay but for many of us like me I am hardly going to be interested in a disjointed season that runs up until Christmas. I think they are being pretty self absorbed if they honestly think you are going to keep people's attention for 40 weeks with disruptions on the way through.

Gil doesn't care about fan engagement or the end product.

It's all about the $, TL. How to make the most of it and how to best protect the ones they have.

To be fair, they do have a lot of stakeholders and logistics to manage. And it can't be easy. But the average fan is not high on that list.

I'm not sure that 44 guys in close contact for 3 hrs...followed by their close contact to another 50 support staff...over 9 games per week...followed by them seeing their families...is irrelevant.

The US has banned gatherings over 10 people. 10! You're proposing a highly risky strategy for ENTERTAINMENT.

Come on.
It's not just entertainment though, is it. Its all of those support staffers jobs, it's the players jobs there are many flow on effects from that.

Since when has comparing us to America been an acceptable thing? Completely different country with a different set of cultures, infection rates, government policy, population densities, medicare and hospital infrastructure etc and they haven't banned 10 or more. Just urged against it. We haven't even got to the closing schools stage yet.

Call an end to live games.

Give each club a copy of the upcoming video game AFL Evolution 2.

Have the captains play against each other weekly, according to the original fixture.

Telecast the games, with commentary from the captains.

AFL 2020 solved!

:)

I was thinking we may regret not having Mitch Robinson, given his esports skills!

I was thinking we may regret not having Mitch Robinson, given his esports skills!

Well, here is what the game looks like, so we should be fine....

1584415308348.png

PS - The game looks awesome
PPS - You should always just a book/game by its cover....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's so good to have another doctor on here.

That way, we will now be able to tell if Mr_Plow has any idea what he is talking about ;)

And we may get 2% closer to deciphering Jimmae's technical theses...:p

Need to be really careful what I say here now...
I mostly have no idea.

But at least I have a free cardiology registrar/fellow on-call now, super useful.

Tbh, both us and Richmkdn are severely disadvantaged by this ongoing limbo on whether round 1 is kicking off this Thursday Night.

I honestly hope if they are planning to go ahead with it, they should give the players and coaches another week to prepare.

Don't think so Elmer - clubs and players will be preparing on the assumption that the game is happening. Delaying it just to give them more prep time is counter-productive. Either start this week, or delay it indefinitely.

Marchbank failed a fitness test (bone bruising to his knee)

His lack of match play would of seen him a liability anyway. Needs to build confidence in reserves.
If I’m an oppo coach he would be the one you would want to expose in the carlton defence.
I’d like to see him tried as a wingman this year. Just not sure he has the reflexes and assuredness to play key defence.

His lack of match play would of seen him a liability anyway. Needs to build confidence in reserves.
If I’m an oppo coach he would be the one you would want to expose in the carlton defence.
I’d like to see him tried as a wingman this year. Just not sure he has the reflexes and assuredness to play key defence.

Yeah, about that...

Don't think so Elmer - clubs and players will be preparing on the assumption that the game is happening. Delaying it just to give them more prep time is counter-productive. Either start this week, or delay it indefinitely.

Hope you are right, I am assuming if no announcement is made by 8 PM, the game and round 1 will kick off as scheduled..

Think most of the players (as far as I have ascertained) wanting to play is probably the decisive factor in the league not postponing or cancelling the seasob outright.

Hope you are right, I am assuming if no announcement is made by 8 PM, the game and round 1 will kick off as scheduled..

Think most of the players (as far as I have ascertained) wanting to play is probably the decisive factor in the league not postponing or cancelling the seasob outright.

The players ?
The players who take direction from the AFL owned/funded AFLPA ?
Some of these players wouldn’t know how to pay a bill
Should these decisions be in their hands ?
Just another vehicle the Dill will use to keep the show on the road at any cost.
His bonuses depend on it after all ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back