Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond Thursday 19th March 7.40pm (EST) @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Popped out of work quickly today and instead of building excitement around the season opener and first round after much deliberation, SEN were in robust discussion about rule changes instead and basically saying these will stay. Did the same yesterday. Imagine having the opening game on after 6 months off and still needing to push an agenda and sensationalise things. Switched it off pretty quickly.
Anyway..... Cmon boyssssss
Seriously, who the * listens to GuesSEN?

I seriously think we all need to petition the club to get the Blue Abroad guys doing the opposition report as well as the preview and the post game analysis, would be much better for us all and the club itself. 👍🏽

Well.....It's happening.

This could make for a massive win for the AFL in one shape, or a loss in another form.
I, for one applaud them having taken all considerations into account and these considerations expand beyond our personal sight.

I'm somewhat apprehensive for the 'what I don't yet know may front up' .....but clubs, players and executive have green-lighted things and why would we want something to go wrong now?

Best of fortune to the broader AFL community and only the best to our Blues tonight.

Both midfields pretty much at full strength I believe, so we gotta get first use of the ball, not negotiable or we'll be swamped.
Hypothetically, if you turned the tables, and our forward half was at full strength with Chuck, H and Ed....and Tiggs were missing Jack, Lynch and Rioli...I would imagine that could make things a little more interesting.
We also need to be more creative how we structure up forward....if we just continue to bomb the ball into our forward line, their defenders will have a field day. Hopefully Teaguey has a game plan to cause them a few headaches.
It'll be a hard task, but GO BLUES, and let's shut those arrogant Tiggs feral flogs/supporters up :)
Ours will be in better shape. Nankervis is so underdone. Won’t be doing much damage hopefully.

Glad we're opting for a shorter forward line instead of the Bolton-led previous MC strategy of forcibly playing a second key tall. I'd back our contested and aerial ability with this setup, just need to be a little more fluid with leading patterns.

Newman over Willo is my greatest disappointment, with O'Brien being line-ball for this game. I would have opted for youth there, and the footskills they offer comparatively. We're a good chance to get exposed the other way unless we play pretty defensively, because Richmond basically beat us for pace and running ability in every other part of the ground.

Glad we're opting for a shorter forward line instead of the Bolton-led previous MC strategy of forcibly playing a second key tall. I'd back our contested and aerial ability with this setup, just need to be a little more fluid with leading patterns.

Newman over Willo is my greatest disappointment, with O'Brien being line-ball for this game. I would have opted for youth there, and the footskills they offer comparatively. We're a good chance to get exposed the other way unless we play pretty defensively, because Richmond basically beat us for pace and running ability in every other part of the ground.

When Newman has a day, it comes off very well......tonight?

No surprise at all for anyone that can read the landscape for Newman, Newnes and Gibbons to be involved tonight.

All being well, they'll fare so well that replacements won't be considered, but I just don't see that coming about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t wait to see Doc and Simmo controlling the back half like they did in 17 will be a massive advantage for us with those 2 working off each other, SPS will only add to the chemistry back there and give us some youthful enthusiasm and drive out of the back half. I hope they switch the kp match ups and play Jones on Lynch and Weits on Riewoldt as I just think it is a better match up.

Make no mistake if Richmond come into this game 5% off there game or believing the tipsters then we will beat them, we are ready to make the step up and really challenge these sides, I think the young guys in Dow, SPS, Fish, Cunners etc...are ready to come to the party and play Teague style footy at its best.

Expect a very hard forward press when we win the centre clearance and get inside 50, the pressure will be intense and Doc and Simmo will set the press up perfectly making sure that we won’t get scored against if the ball gets out the back, the goals will come from a multitude of different avenues with the mids getting right in on the scoring.

Have faith Blues fans the boys are coming to win and are well prepared to do it with the forwards we have named, Teague will tactically destroy Hardwick in this game and we will walk away with the 4 points from Rd1 to give us the perfect start to the year. Blues by 12👍🏽👍🏽

Footy's back and while there mightn't be meat on the supermarket shelves maybe we can dine on raw Tiger!!!

Who'll play a blinder: Just got that feeling the big Kreuz will fire on all 8 cylinders tonight.

Lucky Bastard: Not sure how Cunners gets a game based upon preseason form.

Welcome Back: Looking forward to seeing Docherty officially back in blue.

Can He Do It Again??? Walsh is likely to cop much more attention from the opposition this year, so if he can repeat what he did last year it'll be a superb effort.

Under Pressure: Mitch McGovern would've wanted to have had the most unbelievable 2 weeks on the training track you've ever seen or been the coach's love child to get selected here. I'm thinking it's latter, because he was absolutely stunk it up in Marsh 2. Needs to kick 6, lay 8 tackles and put in 2nd and 3rd efforts when the ball hits the deck for the entire night...........and we all know that ain't gonna happen.

Mover & Shaker: Dow could cause some headaches if he charges out of the stoppages like he did through some of the preseason games.......just as long as he doesn't waste the ball by turning it over.

Will He Take The Next Step: Lot of hype surrounding Setterfield during preseason. Wanna see him crash into contests and let the Tigers know COVID-19 should be the least of their worries.

Is He Just A Tease??? Jack Martin showed he could do some very special things during preseason, but can he go from B-Grader to bonafide A-Grader, by staying involved for the entirety of a match??? Vision and execution is on another level compared to many on our list.

Pelagic Predator or Minnow: Zac Fisher apparently had a blinding preseason until it all fell in a hole. Has the pace, vision, skill and execution to be a game-changer. 4th year player now and time to take the game by the balls.

Unlucky To Miss: Reckon both TDK and Willo were unlucky to miss. I'd have had them ahead of Gov and SPS based upon fitness and form. JMO.

Go Blues.

Did we "opt for it"? Surely it was forced upon us.

When Newman has a day, it comes off very well......tonight?

No surprise at all for anyone that can read the landscape for Newman, Newnes and Gibbons to be involved tonight.

All being well, they'll fare so well that replacements won't be considered, but I just don't see that coming about.
He tends to fare well when his opponent has NFI, or is below AFL averages for athletic performance.

Good game sense, poor athleticism.

While the premiers have 2 key forwards and 2 ruckmen that rotate forward, crazy strategy

As for Newman, my greatest disappointment is how much he is underrated especially comparing output of those not selected

Did we "opt for it"? Surely it was forced upon us.
Did we opt for Newnes and Newman over O'Brien and Williamson? Absolutely.

Hand was forced a bit for Gibbons given Eddie and McKay weren't participating, but I suspect that would have cost Dow and Cuningham their spots ahead of Gibbons (not that I agree with that either).

While the premiers have 2 key forwards and 2 ruckmen that rotate forward, crazy strategy
What does our forward structure have to do with theirs? It's a question of matchups and output: you don't just plug a player in like a chess piece.

He tends to fare well when his opponent has NFI, or is below AFL averages for athletic performance.

Good game sense, poor athleticism.

I shouldn't, but I can't help feeling - With Docherty involved, the backline will function better as a whole.

Even through the preseason, things just functioned better when Docherty sent out the signals.

I shouldn't, but I can't help feeling - With Docherty involved, the backline will function better as a whole.

Even through the preseason, things just functioned better when Docherty sent out the signals.
That only gets you so far when your small defenders are Docherty, Plowman, Newman and Simpson.

I'd only back one of them to win a footrace against most of Richmond's forward line, and it's not who it really should be.

What does our forward structure have to do with theirs? It's a question of matchups and output: you don't just plug a player in like a chess piece.

Matchup for who? I don't see any of their defenders being 200+, while still having similar agility. McGovern is a 3rd tall and struggles when having to play a key post

Our best hope is matching inside 50 counts

That only gets you so far when your small defenders are Docherty, Plowman, Newman and Simpson.

I'd only back one of them to win a footrace against most of Richmond's forward line, and it's not who it really should be.

I know what you're saying, but positioning is important and Docherty does read the game well and coordinates the backline accordingly.
Same old thing - Pressure up the field is important.

I don't know what to expect tonight. I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back