Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - Thursday 21st March 7:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1412

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with the Richmond board? Wanted to have a look at their preview thread to get an idea of their thoughts. They've only got a banter thread full of memes...
I couldn't think of a better place to go if I was looking for a cohort of imbeciles, idiots, moral defectives or feeble minded........

Of those players, it's only Jack whose role / spot as a midfielder is questionable.

Question is, do we want to remove one of Murphy, SPS, Fisher, Dow or Walsh (re: Dow / Walsh, they've had limited time if at all in a small forward role) from the midfield so we can fit in Jack into the midfield?

Or go with a guy like Gibbons, who hasn't done his chances any harm in the role which we asked of him and a position of need.. oh, but also, he has more credential as a midfielder (at VFL level), than the player who we're trying to create a spot in the midfield for, who hasn't been able to cement his spot as the small forward?
There are only so many midfield spots at anyone time, not all of Murphy, SPS, Fisher, Dow, Walsh, Cripps &Setterfield can play in the 5 midfield spots so we will always be pushing at least 1 forward.

The benefit of Jack is he offers something different Up forward and could go back if required.

Please outline your other reasons then?
Using scoring shots rather than goals scored and then form from a VFL praccy match as justification for JSOS, just seconds after sneering at those who have consistently excelled at the same level isn't exactly a strong argument.

Moving forward, how nice is it to actually have these sorts of dilemmas around team selection, it means that players will need to remain committed week in, week out to maintain their spot, which can only be a good thing for our team.
Go back and read the thread I have provided numerous reasons.

Three goals is vastly superior to 1.1. Not similar at all.

That's actually Silvagni's problem in a nutshell. He is a poor converter of quite easy shots, and the more important the moment the more likely he is to miss.

Nobody would give a s**t that he doesn't rack up big numbers, or that he aint exactly quick for a guy his size if he was a finisher. He does have the happy knack of finding the ball at big moments in the game. And the unhappy knack of then butchering it.

If he could slot it at even close to the reliability of Breust or Gunston he'd never have been out of the team.

You're contradicting your own argument. Which is that Silvagni should not only come into the seniors but also displace one of the incumbent mids - none of whom deserve to be dumped at this point. All that based on one solid game in the very same competition you are sneering at.
Is Gibbons an incumbent mid? I thought he was a forward pocket?

My statement was possessions, tackles and scoring shots were similar, that statement is correct.

And I am not contradicting my argument, just pointing to the contradiction in yours. You are the one who said Jacks VFL form doesn't count while touting Gibbons VFL form from last year.

Last edited:
Go back and read the thread I have provided numerous reasons.

You've offered up:
  1. slanted statistics in order to create a false equivalency between Gibbo & JSOS' outings in JLT1,
  2. hyped JSOS' positional flexibility while ignoring that Gibbons is a mid first and forward second
  3. shot your own argument in the foot regarding current form.
  4. stated that JSOS offers something different to our forward group whilst ignoring that Gibbons opportunistic approach also does. (arguably moreso)

My statement was possessions, tackles and scoring shots were similar, that statement is correct.

And I am not contradicting my argument, just pointing to the contradiction in yours. You are the one who said Jacks VFL form doesn't count while touting Gibbons VFL form from last year.
Macca, JSOS will be a regular in time. However, for the moment playing him before Gibbo makes us slower up forward and or around the midfield. Gibbo will be a regular in the team because we lack an abundance of quality quackish smalls.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

You want Silvagni selected as a midfielder. Which means a mid gets dropped or demoted to make room for him.

Congratulations for remembering what you said. And for your continuing refusal at all costs to budge from a statement which is a deliberate misrepresentation, completely ignoring score on the board. You know, goals. The ultimate objective of the game.

And what I said about the VFL is that two years as clearly the best player in the VFL vastly outweighs one solid performance in a VFL practice match.

Something that no reasonable person should have trouble comprehending as being blindingly obvious.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially when JSos' tackle count was due to playing in the middle in a game played in poor conditions. Being in the middle always has elevated tackle and pressure counts in wet and scrappy games.

Open it up on a better quality ground against faster and higher quality opponents and put him in the forward line and I have doubts over whether he'd apply half the pressure Polson does. Not denying JSos' improvement or hunger for the contest. Just don't think he fits the team at the expense of a small forward/pressure player.

Good point. SOS first picked when it is wet as he is a class A mud runner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wonder if everyone would mind not posting anything to do with the game till I get home about 10pm - I'd really appreciate not knowing the result - cheers
Seems fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back