Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - Thursday 21st March 7:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1412

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The tigee boys will no doubt be getting into young Sam Walsh. Be interesting to see who is assigned to "protect" him.
No they wont. The match committee would be focusing their time on other known quantities not a debutant. It's very rare teams set out to go after a first gamer.

.....Cunningham has a bit of toe, but nothing extraordinary.....

I'm hoping that your "Cunners" observation turns out to be an understatement. Whenever I've seen him on the ground whilst remotely fit I've been really excited. So much so I'd considered putting a 28 on my guernsey - and the last time I had a number on my back I would have been about 12 years old.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-23/running-men-keeping-track-of-your-clubs-speedsters

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cuningham's speed would be in the top 10% of AFL players, easily. Probably even top 5%.

Depends on what we define as speed, but his break-away speed would be top 10% easily, I would have thought.

What Cuningham has shown up in the three games I've watched so far this year, is that he makes his possessions count.
Hardly one wasted possession from my recollection and things seemed to happen when he had ball in hand and even without it, for his tackling and pressure.

Now just to put all that where it counts..

Depends on what we define as speed, but his break-away speed would be top 10% easily, I would have thought.

What Cuningham has shown up in the three games I've watched so far this year, is that he makes his possessions count.
Hardly one wasted possession from my recollection and things seemed to happen when he had ball in hand and even without it, for his tackling and pressure.

Now just to put all that where it counts..

Yes, I was focusing on acceleration/breakaway speed, where our 3 best are Pickett, Dow and Cuningham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I was focusing on acceleration/breakaway speed, where our 3 best are Pickett, Dow and Cuningham.

Easy. Instant separators :)

Fisher is craftier and works laterally.
Walsh is surprising in the way he creates space.
SPS isn't fast but like Walsh, creates time and then space.
Cripps is fast...well, he just bullocks his way through.

I feel we need to create space in the forward line and not clutter it up, but feel we're going to clutter it up.

Would be happy to see CCurnow, McKay and McGovern one on one at times and not simply jumping over one another.
Bringing the ball to ground would be fine should we have had ground-work smalls, but not sure Murphy, Cuningham and Gibbons can create enough damage for now, at least.

Easy. Instant separators :)

Fisher is craftier and works laterally.
Walsh is surprising in the way he creates space.
SPS isn't fast but like Walsh, creates time and then space.
Cripps is fast...well, he just bullocks his way through.

If I had to describe the mechanism of their ability to create separation:

Fisher has a very good change of direction. This is a function of quick reflexes, a good balance and a very quick first step. This speed maxes quickly but gives an advantage in immediate evasion. He likes the fake step

Walsh has really strong balance. He maintains momentum at a really exceptional level which means that he doesn't slow as much on change of direction as others. He also has a top tier game sense which he exploits in traffic instinctively. He tends to pick a spot and run at it, just past the possible interception opportunity.

SPS has the same game sense as Walsh, and uses that to pick the right moment and movement to create himself time and space. He isn't slow, but he utilizes placement and body fakes to create more opportunity.

Cripps is slow, but has a lot of power meaning he has a much larger room for error in getting caught. He also has a nice little step he uses on runs, where he slows and fakes opponents and then surges past. It's a nice trick in perception where you think you know how fast he is, but he then suddenly accelerates.

If I had to describe the mechanism of their ability to create separation:

Fisher has a very good change of direction. This is a function of quick reflexes, a good balance and a very quick first step. This speed maxes quickly but gives an advantage in immediate evasion. He likes the fake step

Walsh has really strong balance. He maintains momentum at a really exceptional level which means that he doesn't slow as much on change of direction as others. He also has a top tier game sense which he exploits in traffic instinctively. He tends to pick a spot and run at it, just past the possible interception opportunity.

SPS has the same game sense as Walsh, and uses that to pick the right moment and movement to create himself time and space. He isn't slow, but he utilizes placement and body fakes to create more opportunity.

Cripps is slow, but has a lot of power meaning he has a much larger room for error in getting caught. He also has a nice little step he uses on runs, where he slows and fakes opponents and then surges past. It's a nice trick in perception where you think you know how fast he is, but he then suddenly accelerates.

Well put forward.

Along with the genuine speedsters in Cuningham & Dow, this affords us the ability to take on players and throw opposition back-lines into chaos when heading forward....now if only it didn't create chaos for our forwards.
Still missing someone like Pickett who can beat his opponent to the ball and then beat him running back towards goal.

Will be very keen to see how Setterfield progresses also.
Noticed something in last weeks game I found interesting.
He was supposed to be out of puff, but you can see him running gliding back to the forward line with genuine speed. Good to see.

I've been absolutely shocked and amazed at how 'game fast' Walsh is and very pleasantly surprised to see Cuningham's ability to use his speed in congestion to actually create, make and kick goals from very difficult positions - we haven't had that type of ability in the forward line since Eddie and Garlett. Once Cuningham realises he can also run through some blokes - we will have a monster weapon on HFF - with some ability to also rotate on a wing if required.

Cripps takes long strides and for a big bloke is a deceptive weaver in traffic - has that ability to take a tackle and still get the ball away clean so I consider him to be 'game fast' too. Fisher is a tricky little mongrel - plays an old fashioned rugby half back - dancing around congestion. SPS has that silky ability to make opposition look like they are in slow motion around him - very rare quality.

It s when some of these players learn to combine together that things will begin to get very exciting for Carlton - the ordinary straight line running and overlap running will come - but some of these blokes in combination will make scoring look too easy in the next couple of years as they develop team play and mutual awareness.

I'm looking for reliability in taking shots on goal as a huge indicator of class - agree with Laphroaig observation re SOJ - he too often misses easy set shots which on the one hand is good as he seems to be able to get ball to have a shot - but on the other hand is bad because he misses far too many. IF he was a 70% or better kick - he would be playing - because he does have a footy brain. I think Jack like LoB needs to solidify his strength and skills so they both can develop into serious attacking weapons - both great field kicks and LoB will be an elite runner for us.

It will be fascinating to see what midfield construction Bolton comes up with against the Tuggers I think we have the personnel to match them physically for longer in 2019 - and it will be fascinating to see what difference a Fasolo might bring to forward line craft and class - if he gets picked.

I can understand Bolton's interest in having enough 'hassle factor' in forward 50 too create some form of pressure- last year most teams literally walked the ball out of their defensive 50 against Carlton - but blokes like Polson/Gibbons if they are played HAVE to make tackles AND kick goals - that second bit is the tricky part.

Has always killed us.

Honestly reckon if we got past the Eagles in '11 we would've given Geelong a run for their money on the G the next week. Wasn't a bad game plan at all in hindsight.
Was a great game plan the same one Richmond and Collingwood now use was ahead of its time and was a great example of playing a game plan to your players strengths, shows how good Ratts was imo.

The tigee boys will no doubt be getting into young Sam Walsh. Be interesting to see who is assigned to "protect" him.
Yep - where's the poster who said he knew an opposition TAC player who described his team throwing so much scragging, roughing up and tagging at him "if it had been me I'd have finished the game and walked away". Walsh ended up with 30 plus touches and 3 goals. AFL aint TAC I get that but I'm tipping he's used to being targeted. He ain't no Watts, this ain't no disco..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back