Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - Thursday 21st March 7:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1412

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will use that Balta bloke and the other tall wingman to advantage ( who always cuts us up) - a lot taller than Murph or SPS or anyone else we have running on wing- neither is slow or lacking running power. If we stifle their through the center movement - they will look to kick long to these two good markers - it is a structural advantage they have whilst we don't have Williamson and or Marchbank playing similar roles ( yet)... On the other side of the equation - they will have their own problems containing our three talls if we can get enough entries to give them enough chances.

Which means - Phillips V Nankervis is going to be interesting - Phillips can pretty much write his own ticket if he dominates or at least wins the center bounces and is mobile enough to cover Nankervis on the spread we need to give Cripps a fair shot at winning possessions who can feed it to Dow /SPS/Fisher/Murphy on the burst. that will be where we can start to score easy with the 666 set-ups - lets not think of the alternative ....Riewoldt bringing the ball to ground or Lynch taking easy leading marks - can't allow that to happen too often. Jones best let Lynch know his days of easy scoring against Carlton are over- and let him know early - and I wouldn't be too subtle about the instructions either ...Richmonds three tallish defenders have to be spread by ours there is absolutely no need to aim for any of them all the time - if the midfielders do it right Cuningham and Fasolo could have a field day - both are reliable kicks on goal.

Garlett is the question mark even though he has shown some good along with some dodgy execution he has teh pace to go with one of their smalls and actually run to advantage given any room - if he is getting towelled, Thomas is there to step in - Newman will handle his direct opponent and also provide some chop out. Weiterbot get his chance to show what he's got - the pressure will be on him to stop the direct entries- V Riewoldt will be interesting.

Really is a fascinating first up game on form we are no chance but as Bolton has stated - last years form is irrelevant - new team.

A really positive sign will be if they are forced to revert to chaos ball kicking to forward space - we probably have the fitness base now to cover for that kind of forward pressure. Some chaos ball of our own might not go astray - our forward line is so much more mobile now.

Head says they win heart says - we can win.
GO BLUES!!!

looking forward to this one, huge crowd at the G and I'll be there. Our lineup has improved, our young guns are getting games and pre seasons under their belts and I think the 666 rule will help us against Richmond. Rmond's tactical use of non traditional rucks will be negated by the new rules, their defensive structure of 2 on ones will also be negated, but only after first bounce. This could potentially cost them 3-4 goals. We will have to be savvy, we will have to spread quickly from centre and not count on Cripps beasting it from centre to half, full forward every time. Sps, Fisher, the wiley ones have a massive role to play. Get Dow and Walsh into it to allow their confidence to grow. They should have more space, less body on body and be able to deliver more efficiently into the forward line. Use our youthful talent and lets tell the Tiges that we are next in line. **** them and go Blues.
To take advantage of the 666 rule you really will require a dominant ruckman , who can hit to advantage and Carlton will not have that.
i Can not see how you think the Blues will have an advantage with 666. Can you elaborate on you statement as to why?

No more run gun dash for the cash mob runners , flooding the backline and advancing forward!
Phillips v Grigg !
Rance being accountable for his own man!
Your back men won’t be able to match up to our tall forwards!

Oh and we have the best contested ball player in the comp!!
Enough said!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To take advantage of the 666 rule you really will require a dominant ruckman , who can hit to advantage and Carlton will not have that.
i Can not see how you think the Blues will have an advantage with 666. Can you elaborate on you statement as to why?
Phillips is no slouch in the ruck. Better tap ruck than Kreuzer (IMO), but Kreuz offers more once the ball hits the deck. Phillips' form was OK in JLT and if he squares the contest with your ruck then that's all good.

From there we have arguably the best clearance player in the competition over the last couple of years in Cripps supported by some highly rated younger guys. They are more than capable of holding their own.

We will win plenty of centre clearances. Might lose the stat count in games here and there, but the guts of an A-grade midfield is there. The 666 rule won't be a disadvantage for us at the very least.

I don't agree that the Blues will not have the dominant ruckman. I think Phillips beat Grundy in the JLT game for hitouts in the centre and Grundy is > Nank Many times he jumped higher than Grundy and hit the ball to designated drop zones which gave our mids the advantage. Collingwood has a much vaunted midfield pack, yet Carlton's mids cleaned them up, mostly thanks to Phillips (and some bloke called Cripps)

I could but.. I'd have to kill ya

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Rules have changed!
The Blues have upgraded (Walsh & Setterfield) and supercharged (SPS) our mids.
We have added a dangerous marking forward (McG), a goal sneak (Fasolo), a gun VFL mid (Gibbons) who doesn't mind a goal and found a role for Cunningham (tip 40 goals this year).

We are gonna need the defense to play out of their skin in Round 1.
We need our forwards to get on their bikes and lead, lead, lead (to different locations).
Tiggers have gone tall, we have finally gone with a balanced team - this could be the difference - Tiggers outmark us and maybe McG can go back, our 23rd man (Russell) will influence this game when we overrun them in red time!
Let's bounce those Tiggers! Carn the Blues!

Very happy with the team selection, taking into account those missing due to injury. On paper it looks much better than any 22 we put on the field last season. Knowing there is still some quality to come back in gives confidence for what lies ahead.

Looking forward to what Fas can bring to our forward line. We know he gets to good spots inside F50, so hopefully we can get enough I50s to enable him & the Big 3 to work their magic.

Really pleased to see Gibbo getting his opportunity straight away. If he can get a few early touches, he will have a good game.

To our supporters who are heading along to the game, make sure you make plenty of noise. Our games v the Tiggies in recent seasons have seen us drowned out by Tiggies' supporters.

Go get 'em Blues.

I like it ...i like our 22
We realistically need 12 months for this group to properly Gel and mature with another preseason......
We got Kreuz,Marchbank,Kennedy,O Brien,Maybe Lang in ...to give some pace and nous.....we still need Kelly or Stephen Coniglio to seal it next trade...

But i dont mind our list...it will need time but on paper IT LOOKS OK :thumbsu:

This would be awesome.

It’s handy having a 3rd trial game to try out a few things.

I thought you lot would’ve learnt your lesson after the prelim last year! You don’t take injured or underdone players into a game!!

#notsmartbutcanliftheavythings

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To my Blues friends on BF (you know who you are), good luck tomorrow night - would be great to win on opening night.

You have some exciting young players, hope you have a good year. (Except against us);)

Cheers Maggie...

Always welcome around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back