Preview Rnd 1 - Fremantle vs North Melbourne 24th March 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ross needs to start strongly, or his coaching tenure is under serious doubt! Fremantle by a goal!

This game is really shaping up as great contest, should be a tight affair as both sides match each other pretty well. Hopefully the home ground advantage is enough. Will be a good initial indication of where both sides are at. I have thought for the last year or so that Norths were probably a year in front of Freo in the rebuild. Think it's pretty close now. Looking forward to going to this game.
I am sure North fans will correct me but I feel like they had a lot of players play 20+ games last year, including their senior core (less Waite). Nothing wrong with that but it means their youth has had considerably less exposure than ours.

Not sure the two rebuilds are comparable is what I am saying.

North aren't rebuilding. They are doing what they can with what they have to be as competitive as possible. It's quite honourable.

North could do a lot more to invest in youth over bringing in established talent but they choose to try and win more games now.

It's a bold strategy, let's see how it plays out.

Fremantle need to come out strong in this first game at home.

Ideally would need to score 100+ points to win this contest!

Be very interesting to see how we go with Lobb and Hogan in the forward line, very exciting times at Fremantle this year and next!

Tarrant and McKay will play as tall backs.

And Vickers-Willis or Wright would be required to play tall on a third tall McCarthy type.

If... if McCarthy plays he does not require a tall defender to mind him. Just needs a fast defender to apply and keep body contact.

Most likely our '3rd tall' will be Lobb, behind Hogan and Tabs.

Tarrant - Hogan
McKay - Tabs
???? - Lobb

Who is your backup ruck likely to be?

If... if McCarthy plays he does not require a tall defender to mind him. Just needs a fast defender to apply and keep body contact.

Most likely our '3rd tall' will be Lobb, behind Hogan and Tabs.

Tarrant - Hogan
McKay - Tabs
???? - Lobb

Who is your backup ruck likely to be?

I’d probably go with EVW on Tabs, tazz on Hogan (if he plays), and McKay on Lobb.

I’m not trying to be a smart ass on your board, and I realise that Freo haven’t been blessed with good key forwards as you may have now, but multiple big key forwards aren’t something that instills fear into opposition these days.

If we lose in the middle you’ll beat us. If win in the midfield we’ll beat you.

As for back up ruck, that’s a very good question. Maj was the perfect player for this.

Brown and McKay are both certain starters, so that’s a possibility. It could be McKay vs Lobb all day, forward/back and ruck. I assume Scott won’t be silly enough to risk Brown there.

I’d probably go with EVW on Tabs, tazz on Hogan (if he plays), and McKay on Lobb.

I’m not trying to be a smart ass on your board, and I realise that Freo haven’t been blessed with good key forwards as you may have now, but multiple big key forwards aren’t something that instills fear into opposition these days.

As for back up ruck, that’s a very good question. Maj was the perfect player for this.

Brown and McKay are both certain starters, so that’s a possibility. It could be McKay vs Lobb all day, forward/back and ruck. I assume Scott won’t be silly enough to risk Brown there.
Freo having more than one legitimate key forward is like that poor kid who finally upgraded from an Atari to a PS1... whilst everyone else already has a PS4.

Don’t ruin our Christmas! We love our PS1! 😉

Freo having more than one legitimate key forward is like that poor kid who finally upgraded from an Atari to a PS1... whilst everyone else already has a PS4.

Don’t ruin our Christmas! We love our PS1! 😉

Lol don’t get me wrong, it makes you more dangerous. But it won’t help much if you can’t get it down there quickly enough or well enough.

As a north supporter, a team that has almost always played with 3 key talks under Scott, I can say that it does help ball movement if the forwards can hit up at the footy.

Hogan is great at this. I don’t get the impression Tabener or Lobb are that good. So maybe Hogan plays higher and if that’s the case you really want to get his foot right. Maybe rest him round 1 :)

North averaged almost 5 more inside fifties than Freo last season from roughly the same number of clearances. Both teams generally lost to teams that had more marks inside fifty.

Freo has added to this area. This bodes well.

There was also a pattern where both teams lost to teams that kicked more goals

There was also a pattern where both teams lost to teams that kicked more goals
A slightly more in depth look into it shows that Fremantle lacked the marks on the end of our inside fifties to score those goals. This was partly due to delivery, partly due to the targets. Contested marking forwards make up for the poor delivery.

I can dumb it down further if required.

A slightly more in depth look into it shows that Fremantle lacked the marks on the end of our inside fifties to score those goals. This was partly due to delivery, partly due to the targets. Contested marking forwards make up for the poor delivery.

I can dumb it down further if required.

No that’s ok I was just being silly.

I think marks inside 50 is more a reflection of what happens up the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except the exact opposite is true in recent encounters. We won the midfield battle last year and you guys won easily. You guys won it both games in 2017, and we won both games. In all three games our forward line was woeful and took our midfielders to kick most of the goals, and a lock down defender playing forward for the first time in his career in Nyhuis to kick 4 on debut.

Our weakness in all three of our last encounters was having a functional half forward line that could present and kick inside 50 - our i50s have been almost exclusively by midfielders in recent years (midfield is actually well above average for i50s, but forward line would be 18th). Half backs always rub their hands together playing against Freo because it is intercept city. And our forwards couldn't mark inside 50 either. Our main inside 50 markers (in those 3 games) were Fyfe, Mundy, Nyhuis, Logue and Walters. So two mids and 2 defenders playing forward, with Walters the only true forward out of that lot and he is only 177cm. For most teams their forwards are their main i50 markers.

Not expecting miracles from round 1 but finally having some half decent half forwards and legitimate i50 marking options (that are actually forwards) will make more difference to us than anything else. If our forward line is still rubbish you guys will win, if it steps up then we will win imo.

Except the exact opposite is true in recent encounters. We won the midfield battle last year and you guys won easily. You guys won it both games in 2017, and we won both games. In all three games our forward line was woeful and took our midfielders to kick most of the goals, and a lock down defender playing forward for the first time in his career in Nyhuis to kick 4 on debut.

Our weakness in all three of our last encounters was having a functional half forward line that could present and kick inside 50 - our i50s have been almost exclusively by midfielders in recent years (midfield is actually well above average for i50s, but forward line would be 18th). Half backs always rub their hands together playing against Freo because it is intercept city. And our forwards couldn't mark inside 50 either. Our main inside 50 markers (in those 3 games) were Fyfe, Mundy, Nyhuis, Logue and Walters. So two mids and 2 defenders playing forward, with Walters the only true forward out of that lot and he is only 177cm. For most teams their forwards are their main i50 markers.

Not expecting miracles from round 1 but finally having some half decent half forwards and legitimate i50 marking options (that are actually forwards) will make more difference to us than anything else. If our forward line is still rubbish you guys will win, if it steps up then we will win imo.

Good discussion

It’s all a little subjective isn’t it? We had 14 more inside 50’s and won contested possessions by almost 20 the last time we played. So saying u won the midfield battle might be subject to some conjecture.

Good discussion

It’s all a little subjective isn’t it? We had 14 more inside 50’s and won contested possessions by almost 20 the last time we played. So saying u won the midfield battle might be subject to some conjecture.
Your inside 50s were off the back of intercepts off half back though - not through your midfield winning stoppages. Up until Sandi went out of the game concussed early in the 4th we were dominating the clearances. You didn't really have any answers to Fyfe at stoppages. Thompson had 14 intercepts. We had a truckload more turnovers than you guys did. You won because we kept kicking it to you.

Your inside 50s were off the back of intercepts off half back though - not through your midfield winning stoppages. Up until Sandi went out of the game concussed early in the 4th we were dominating the clearances. You didn't really have any answers to Fyfe at stoppages. Thompson had 14 intercepts. We had a truckload more turnovers than you guys did. You won because we kept kicking it to you.

I notice like Ryan as the third highest ranked player on the ground, with you beating us comfortably in rebound 50’s. Just seems odd that you are arguing a black and white case when stats seem to largely argue against you.

Not that any of this is relevant for round 1 next year.

I notice like Ryan as the third highest ranked player on the ground, with you beating us comfortably in rebound 50’s. Just seems odd that you are arguing a black and white case when stats seem to largely argue against you.

Not that any of this is relevant for round 1 next year.
I can't help you if you can't read stats. Rebound 50s are meaningless - if you had lots of repeat inside 50s it would up our r50s, up your i50s as well as adding to intercepts - hint hint (fully supports my argument). A lot of your intercepts weren't inside your back 50 which is why your r50s were lower than they should have been - hence why I said your half backs had a field day intercepting. The intercept differential was 13 or 14. That is a big difference and is the important statistic that you can rely on.

Any chance of a smarter North Melbourne supporter to debate with?

I can't help you if you can't read stats. Rebound 50s are meaningless - if you had lots of repeat inside 50s it would up our r50s, up your i50s as well as adding to intercepts - hint hint (fully supports my argument). A lot of your intercepts weren't inside your back 50 which is why your r50s were lower than they should have been - hence why I said your half backs had a field day intercepting. The intercept differential was 13 or 14. That is a big difference and is the important statistic that you can rely on.

Any chance of a smarter North Melbourne supporter to debate with?

No u got it mate. You clearly smashed us in the midfield despite losing contested possession, inside 50’s, and having a whole 6 more clearances.

It was a midfield domination for the ages.

No u got it mate. You clearly smashed us in the midfield despite losing contested possession, inside 50’s, and having a whole 6 more clearances.

I didn't say smashed. I said we won the midfield battle and yet you guys won fairly easily still. I never said smashed you guys. I know you are trying hard but now this is getting awkward :) Contested possessions can be racked up by players other than midfielders just like inside 50s - hint hint.

I'm being unfair though because the umpires played a good game for you guys as well - it wasn't all about intercepts. That non-decision when Hamling got wrenched off the ball without possession was arguably the worst umpiring decision all year. Go and watch the replay and if you still think you won because of your midfield I'd be extremely surprised.

The Eagles won games last year by 60 points+ despite losing the inside 50's. Getting the ball into the 50 with a grubber kick still results in a forward fifty entry stat. Doesnt mean a midfield is doing better by simply getting it in there. We've had games in recent years where we've been smashed despite winning contested possessions. If contested possessions doesnt result in players getting clear (eg helping a team get more loose ball gets) all its means is there's lots of handballs to ground or to hanballs to players under pressure and smothered kicks while clearances mean a team at least gets the ball clear of a contested situation. Not sure understanding stats is your thing.

The Eagles won games last year by 60 points+ despite losing the inside 50's. Getting the ball into the 50 with a grubber kick still results in a forward fifty entry stat. Doesnt mean a midfield is doing better by simply getting it in there. We've had games in recent years where we've been smashed despite winning contested possessions. If contested possessions doesnt result in players getting clear all its means is there's lots of handballs to ground or to hanballs to players under pressure and smothered kicks while clearances mean a team at least gets the ball clear of a contested situation. Not sure understanding stats is your thing.

Ok. Educate me.

I’ve shown inside 50’s, contested possessions, and hell i’ll add clearances as evidence north might have won the midfield battle that day.

Now other than Scott Thompson getting 14 intercept possessions, or west coast winning a game once with less inside 50’s, please provide some evidence, you statistical savant you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back