Preview Rnd 1 - Fremantle vs North Melbourne 24th March 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

What position was Hall playing at the time? I assume Banfield would go to Higgins again, not Hall.

For those of you wondering what our Round 1 team might look like, the consensus on our Board is that we now probably have 30 'best 22' types on the list. With Polec, Hall and Tyson we've added (much needed) depth to our midfield and with Pittard, further depth to the back line stocks. Midfielders capable of playing AFL in 2018: Higgins, Cunnington, Jacobs, Polec, Hall, Dumont, Anderson, Ahern, LDU. This isn't a suggestion it's better than yours, simply noting a depth we haven't previously been able to draw on.

Our main list deficiencies are a back up ruck for Goldstein - maybe someone like Tom Campbell via SSP, though Goldy has been very physically resilient - and how to fill the KPF position vacated by Waite. Ben McKay, despite being played back in the VFL can play forward, or Daw, after finally getting some continuity and confidence down back might be swung forward again, or a rotation between them. Larkey probably not ready physically yet. By the way, Thompson is suspended for Rd.1.

That said, here's a 'straw man' shot at a Rd.1 NM team:

B: Vickers-Willis - Tarrant - Williams
HB: Macmillan - McKay - Pittard
C: Dumont - Cunnington - Polec
HF: Atley - Daw - Tyson
F: Ziebell - Brown - Simpkin
R: Goldstein - Higgins - Jacobs

I/C: Ahern, Wood, Anderson, Hall

Back line depth: McDonald, Murphy, Wright, Durdin
Mid depth: Davies-Uniacke, Hrovat
Forward depth: from Garner (if fit), Zurhaar, Turner, Walker

I haven't included any of the 2018 draftees, including Thomas, Scott, Taylor, Crocker, McKenzie or Wilkinson, or any 2017 or earlier draftees that haven't yet debuted. Thomas is a possibility as a top ten pick but will need to build his endurance, or Wilkinson as a mature age small forward rookie.

17 weeks, exactly, at 3:20pm today. :) :footy: :thumbsu: ... despite Brad Scott's 1-8 record in Rd 1. o_O

p.s. This, and all other WA games early in the season, should be scheduled for evenings! :rage:

Banfield will go to Hall, and Conca will go to Higgins.

Banfield is powered by his opponents tears!

Booked my flights for this today - keen to check out the new stadium.

This has a classic old school North "Shinboner Spirit" win for Majak written all over it.

Last edited:
Nah we'll have too many new faces wanting to prove themselves. We'll come out the other side with Fyfe clear favourite for the Brownlow, Hogan early favourite for the Coleman and emerging star Mundy leading the pack for the Rising Star. And Bennell being talked about as smokey for a Norm Smith.

Booked my flights for this today - keen to check out the new stadium.

This has a classic old school North "Shinboner Spirit" win for Majak written all over it.

For the first time I can remember I can say welcome, you will love our Stadium and all the facilities. Even Perth City has gotten so much more interesting for food, drink and nightlife.

Try and upgrade your ticket and make sure you get into the River room for the pre-game festivities, yes even the travelling team has a great room with guest speakers from your club, I presume if you are a North's Member you may be able to get in?

For the first time I can remember I can say welcome, you will love our Stadium and all the facilities. Even Perth City has gotten so much more interesting for food, drink and nightlife.

Try and upgrade your ticket and make sure you get into the River room for the pre-game festivities, yes even the travelling team has a great room with guest speakers from your club, I presume if you are a North's Member you may be able to get in?

Yeah, Subi was a craphole, like Waverley (VFL Park) but in a better loaction.

Am indeed a North member, dunno if I'll do the pre-game stuff (probably be with Freo supporting mates) but will certainly aim to get a good ticket.

From what I can tell so far, seems like Hogan will struggle to get up for Rd1, certainly not at full fitness.

For us, Goldy will be huge, I reckon he'll be the difference between the sides tbh (if he's on). He's looking like back to his AA year fitness and form.

Also, look out for Jy Simpkin, shaping up for the proverbial breakout year.

Yeah, Subi was a craphole, like Waverley (VFL Park) but in a better loaction.

Am indeed a North member, dunno if I'll do the pre-game stuff (probably be with Freo supporting mates) but will certainly aim to get a good ticket.

From what I can tell so far, seems like Hogan will struggle to get up for Rd1, certainly not at full fitness.

For us, Goldy will be huge, I reckon he'll be the difference between the sides tbh (if he's on). He's looking like back to his AA year fitness and form.

Also, look out for Jy Simpkin, shaping up for the proverbial breakout year.
Doesn't Sandi usually beat him?
And you're without Thompson and Majak in the backline.

Doesn't Sandi usually beat him?
And you're without Thompson and Majak in the backline.

Fully fit Goldy will run Sandi around hard. Missing Thompson hurts but I wondered how Maj would go with the new rules anyway. I'm not too concerned by your big forwards, it is Walters kicking a bag that concerns me.

Fully fit Goldy will run Sandi around hard. Missing Thompson hurts but I wondered how Maj would go with the new rules anyway. I'm not too concerned by your big forwards, it is Walters kicking a bag that concerns me.

Lobb, Hogan,Tabs and Mccarthy might not concen you but they sure as hell are going to worry the life out Scott and your coaching panel

Fully fit Goldy will run Sandi around hard.
Terrific match up looming there.

The thing with having a genuine ruck/forward, Sandilands workload is reduced, including the amount of ground required to be covered. If your thinking Goldstein is your match winner against Sandilands then I hope you're bringing a Plan B in your carry-on.

Lobb, Hogan,Tabs and Mccarthy might not concen you but they sure as hell are going to worry the life out Scott and your coaching panel

Whether Lobb can get back to his best form is yet to be seen. He can be a real liability too.

Hogan is very unlikely to play.

Tabener hadn't ever actually done anything I've seen.

McCarthy has the talent but is pretty flaky.

Who will you guys play on Brown?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrific match up looming there.

The thing with having a genuine ruck/forward, Sandilands workload is reduced, including the amount of ground required to be covered. If your thinking Goldstein is your match winner against Sandilands then I hope you're bringing a Plan B in your carry-on.

I actually think our match winner will be our midfield.

Your midfield is very good, better than ours.
Don't write off Taberner, he was breaking out early last year, then had a fracture in his foot.
He's almost 2 metres tall, and can run with the best of them.
With the competition for spots up forward, i expect him to hit round 1 very hard!

We deliberately kept Mundy and Walters out of the middle in that last game so our youngsters got the full experience - and we still won the clearance battle. Even when Sandi went out with concussion we left Fyfe and Neale along with a bunch of 1st year mids running through the middle (with Cox rucking). I suspect we'll be less motivated to 'give experience' this time around. Blakely will takeover from Neale but we'll also see Mundy and Walters rotating through plus Bennell, Conca etc. You'll add some outside run with Polec and so will we with Brad Hill. I think the midfields look pretty even unless Fyfe goes full beast mode (or either side has some major injuries between now and Rd 1 - hopefully not for either side).

I think like last time, you'll win if our forward line isn't functional. The intercept differential was like 13+ and Thompson had a whopping 14 intercepts. We made your defenders look like superstars because our forwards were woeful. Hogan is 50/50 to play now I'd say. But even with just Tabs and Lobb we should hopefully be able to take more marks inside 50 and bring it to ground for the smalls when they can't mark. Cox and McCarthy really struggled in the air last time we met and it was deflating seeing it rebound straight back down the ground.

Whether Lobb can get back to his best form is yet to be seen. He can be a real liability too.

Who have you got to play on any of our talls and Hogan is tracking nicely.
Hamling will play on Brown .Our defence is a strength with plenty to help out Hamling. Your defence looks particularly weak . Mids look pretty even with Fyfe the standout mid from both sides.

Hamling will play on Brown .Our defence is a strength with plenty to help out Hamling. Your defence looks particularly weak . Mids look pretty even with Fyfe the standout mid from both sides.

I remember Fyfe destroying North at Etihad in 2017. I think Goldstein missed a set shot to win the match after the siren though.

Hang on hang on

This post is the most ridiculous I have seen in 12 months

1. Whether Lobb can get back to his best form ???? He is so young his best form is ahead of him

2. Hogan unlikely to play ??? His started match sims this week. Super unlikely

3. Who will we play in brown ? Pffft. One good year out of 10. Doubt he will play round 1. If he dies won't kick a goal.

You are way too Confident

WELCOME TO OPTUS STADIUM MY FRIEND - no Tasmanians here

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surprised no one has given a margin yet , I do enjoy an early margin call 2 1/2 months out from the game

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good point! This is round one yeah. Going on last three years average, Freo by -52pts or Roos by -16pts.

In all seriousness though, as if the umps will let Freo win. No better way for Eagles to start their flag defensive, than with Dockers losing narrowly due to suspect umpiring. I’m calling a “galant defeat”. Roos by 8pts

Good point! This is round one yeah. Going on last three years average, Freo by -52pts or Roos by -16pts.

In all seriousness though, as if the umps will let Freo win. No better way for Eagles to start their flag defensive, than with Dockers losing narrowly due to suspect umpiring. I’m calling a “galant defeat”. Roos by 8pts

Well done , I'll keep it in mind for my punting. Rd 1 always throws up some strange results and it's probably a case of the less you listen to all the waffle leading in the better

I'm locking it in Roos by 6.5-12.5

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tarrant and McKay will play as tall backs.

And Vickers-Willis or Wright would be required to play tall on a third tall McCarthy type.

This game is really shaping up as great contest, should be a tight affair as both sides match each other pretty well. Hopefully the home ground advantage is enough. Will be a good initial indication of where both sides are at. I have thought for the last year or so that Norths were probably a year in front of Freo in the rebuild. Think it's pretty close now. Looking forward to going to this game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back