Preview Rnd 1 - Fremantle vs North Melbourne 24th March 3:20pm

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok maybe a little harsh. Bewley played like half of jlt one and then played after a hit out in peel in jlt 2 cant be critical of that especially stat wise.

Giro is young your right that’s why he is better off in peel learning his craft and give a seasoned bigger body long kicking machine in Bewley a solid 4 quarters to show what he can do. He was one of the best in the vfl for a reason

Bewley was unsighted in both games,hardly a long kicking machine on that showing .He would need to improve to be a walk up start in the seniors but he has time.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Based on Ross' interview, Ballas is a walk up start regardless of what we think of his abilities on here.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Based on Ross' interview, Ballas is a walk up start regardless of what we think of his abilities on here.

He’s starting to get unfairly targeted IMO. He was poor against Collingwood with ball in hand. But he chased down Quaynor and pressure was good. He was better against West Coast with limited supply. Again pressure was goo.

Surround him with Walters and Switta and they would create havoc. Personally he’s a lead of Matera IMO.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Was Bewley 'hidden' during the JLT? I was surprised he didn't get more of the ball then again it could be because our inside midfield is not 100% in those games. Also Cerra, I got the impression he was put in places to remain quiet, seemed to not get much of the ball.
I reckon Giro in the 6-6-6 format will wreak havoc in the latter stages of quarters with his running power and from all accounts looks to have put in a great pre-season to take a step up.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
i'd have a lot more confidence in Giro if he didn't have those Daniel Rich T-Rex arms. weird proportions.

also, Freo/North AFLW preview when!?
Yeah I'm not a huge Giro fan but you can't fault his effort and he seems to be in the right position a lot. Think he'd be a beast if he was blessed with a bigger body.

AFLW Preview when the teams are announced (this afternoon I'm assuming?) but if anyone wants it earlier they are more than welcome to do their own ;)

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bewley had 21 disposals in 80% of a game over two games after playing a half immediately before his second stint. Not bad. His supposedly elite disposal was nowhere to be seen though. Giro had 27 in 130% of a game over 2 games by comparison.

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah he played 71% of one and and 59% of the other.

To put it another way, if both Bewley and Giro played 80% of a game (a standard amount for a mid) and they went at their JLT rate of disposals per minute, Bewley would get 21 and Giro would get 16 or 17.

Last edited:

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
I personally feel that we have accumulated a decent young nucleus of players that can develop into a winning squad. I think that we'll have lots more growing pains before that point and I especially think that it'll be a lack of chemistry between our new look forward line & the delivery going in that will shoot down our season (injuries/playing youth also contributors).
It doesn't phase me though as I believe success is not far off.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Whose going to be missing from Norths best? Thompson, Tarrant, Daw. Anyone else? Tarrant a certainty to miss? Cunnington a certain starter?
Think they are missing a few small defenders as well. Hogan, Lobb and Walters *should* have a field day.

Is Cunnington a certain starter? Latest I heard, he was 50/50. Rushing Tarrant back in seems very risky. Your backline won't be back for Rd 1 (JMac and Williams are injured now as well aren't they?) and neither will the rest of our midfield (nor Cox or Matera).

Some information from the NMFC site for you...

View attachment 634116

And summary of midfield options...

Jed Anderson: ...strong form continued up until recent weeks, when the midfielder was struck down with a hamstring injury, which kept him out of both JLT Series matches.
Rd 1 potential: Unlikely.
Shaun Higgins: While his loads were somewhat managed, the 31-year-old took part in all match simulations and intra-clubs, as well as AFLX and both JLT Series matches.
Rd 1 potential: ...a certainty to line up against Fremantle.
Ben Jacobs: Jacobs had a frustrating pre-season, and faces an uphill battle to be ready for Round 1.
Rd 1 potential: Jacobs will be unavailable.
Luke Davies-Uniacke: is looking leaner, stronger and playing with more confidence, ‘LDU’ played in both JLT Series matches and was amongst the top performers.
Rd 1 potential: The young midfielder has been nothing short of impressive all summer, and has given himself every chance to earn a Round 1 berth.
Ben Cunnington: Aside from suffering a heavy corkie in recent weeks, his pre-season was nothing but consistent, rarely missing a session.
Rd 1 potential: He has said he is a certain starter for Round 1, so there’s no doubting whether he’ll make the trip west.
Jy Simpkin: In his third pre-season, has focused on developing his midfield craft and played predominately through the middle in the JLT Series, it seems the 21-year-old has done enough to earn a spot in the midfield rotation.
Rd 1 potential: His versatility to play as a forward and midfielder makes him a strong chance to earn a Round 1 berth.
Jared Polec: Played in every possible match simulation, intra-club and practice match, as well as AFLX, he has made a good first impression at his new club.
Rd 1 potential: Fully fit and in good form, Polec is a lock to play Round 1.
Trent Dumont: Following a strong end to the 2018 season, Dumont continued that trend over summer. He featured in both JLT matches, and is injury-free...
Rd 1 potential: Having locked down a spot on the wing in 2018, Dumont would be considered very likely for the clash at Optus Oval.
Paul Ahern: His pre-season started early with a trip to Utah in November. Career best shape; has lost weight, built-up his endurance base, and showed good form in the JLT Series.
Rd 1 potential: His pre-season has been outstanding, and has done everything in his power to be picked in the Round 1 side. Certainly in the mix.
Dom Tyson: A prominent feature in North’s midfield during the JLT Series, his ability to win inside and outside ball and use it well, has been a stand-out part of his game.
Rd 1 potential: Tyson has added real class and depth to the North midfield, and is a solid chance to make his club debut on March 24.
Bailey Scott: Featuring on the wing in both JLT Series matches, the 18-year-old was a shining light, and caught the eye of all those watching.
Rd 1 potential: With the competition for midfield spots at a high, Scott is no certainty to feature, however he’s certainly done enough to put himself in the conversation.
Aaron Hall: Suffered a scare in JLT1 after leaving the ground with a knee injury, but put concerns to rest by playing the full four quarters against Port Adelaide the following week.
Rd 1 potential: Hall's ability to play in a range of positions, makes him a valuable player for the Roos, and a good chance for Round 1.

In summary:

Mids:

Cunnington will start. Question mark over Anderson which is a concern given Jacobs no chance. (ie our defensive mids)

Backline:

Williams and Macmillan have question marks, along with Wright. I imagine that we'll be okay with one or two being okay, plus Pittard and McDonald.
While there must be some doubt, the confidence re Tarrant seems to have risen in the past week.

Forwards:

While not an injury, the retirement of Waite leaves the biggest hole. Doubts over Mason Wood's capacity to step up. Ziebell has been a bit underdone, like Brown, but expect both to play. I think we're missing a decent KPF.

Like I said it will be a battle of which turd is best. Neither team will be anything close to full strength and both seem very underdone coming into round 1. I personally think you guys are still slight favourites but I don't get why supporters of either team would be gloating about how much better they are - that is what I found hilarious.
Yep, it doesn't shape as a clash of the season. On paper, I think we have the edge. Except, as I've said for the WA and Round 1 factor.

Yep - our defenders will be aiming to just kill contests and bring the ball to ground. Higgins, Ahern, Hall, Dumont, Simpkin - that's where the damage will be done (if we do any lol)
Plus Polec SLF!

Jacobs got the 3 Brownlow votes in last years game playing against Fyfe.

I'm not sure this is the worst of the umpiring decisions you'd be bemoaning wrt to that game. ;)

Fair enough because Fyfe was terrible with his 31 disposals, 8 clearances, 9 score involvements, 8 tackles, 2 contested marks, 1 goal and 6 intercepts :oops: In fairness to Jacobs, Fyfe was looking like he was going to do even more than that. If only we had more than half a dozen footy players turn up for that game.
Exactly. Fyfe got hold of Jacobs in the first half, but considering that, the final stats showed it ended up a more even battle, with Jacobs doing damage despite being in a 'run with' role on Fyfe. He had 29 disposals, 4 clearances, 9 tackles and kicked a goal. (Not sure of the rest of the stats.) Jacobs is a pretty vital cog in our machine, and will be missed.

We also had Goldy's 200th game which proved to be a bit of an inspiration, and Atley actually did something in that last quarter.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
He’s starting to get unfairly targeted IMO. He was poor against Collingwood with ball in hand. But he chased down Quaynor and pressure was good. He was better against West Coast with limited supply. Again pressure was goo.

Surround him with Walters and Switta and they would create havoc. Personally he’s a lead of Matera IMO.
Why is he unfairly targeted? We're in a rebuild, we got rid of younger players in De Boer, Suban, Barlow and Sheridan. Yet Ballas stays on 1 year contracts, due to being a personal favourite of Ross'. His best was in 2014 and hasn't been seen since. He goes missing for large chunks of every game, his pressure isn't there anymore plus he regularly fumbles. He's been fairly targeted if anything.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Does anyone think we're a chance here? I mean I know we are a chance but with all the injuries and the general lack of cohesion in the team with all the new players we could cop a serious reality check here. North have some serious talent now.

If they get midifeld dominance it could be a disappointing day. Freo has also had little opportunity to work their best team together.

But, we get Fyfe back and that will be massive and Jesse Hogan is the best forward Freo has had since Pav, Lobb might be the second best. I am sure we will play some good footy at some point hopefully Sunday week.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Does anyone think we're a chance here? I mean I know we are a chance but with all the injuries and the general lack of cohesion in the team with all the new players we could cop a serious reality check here. North have some serious talent now.
My faith is wavering purely based on injuries - which is the same story every season. It's always always to key plays and never to the scrubs.

Rion

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Eh confidence slightly waning but still think we'd be favorites. North look decent but I don't think they'll make the 8 and they've got their own injury problems (to balance ours). Hogan/Lobb/Walters should feast on their defence.

The Fyfe to Hogan combo is going to be something to watch I hope.

Back