Preview Rnd 1 - Melbourne vs Port Adelaide 23th March 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they needed to demonstrate that the force that went through his chin was a tiny fraction of the total, and the grading of impact should be taken on that fraction, not the entire force that went through his body... i.e. low.

If May is the difference vetween beating port or not.... the we got bigger problems

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Despite the fact that I think the decision is a bit s**t, I'm more annoyed that May attempts that kind of bump in a meaningless practice game. Save it for the real stuff. Would have annoyed me if, say, McStay had done that to Harmes. No need for it in a game where both teams are having a run around and trying not to get injured. How this bloke ever captained an AFL club was always a bit beyond my understanding, and gee whiz do I hope this pulls him into line. Luckily Dixon is missing for Port now too, so the impact is mitigated somewhat.

Basically my thoughts. Was it soft? Yes. Did he need to do it? No. Utter stupidity from someone who is meant to be a senior player.

at least we can now have a shoot out between, Oscar and frosty, and maybe even petty, and see who plays like they want to hold their spot for the next week.
May can join that shoot out when he comes back. No guaranteed spots. Three blokes who would get a game at most other clubs. Even though May is clearly the best of the three on current evidence.

Tell you what he'd want to settle in a lot faster than Lever did last year.
Rest of the comp is laughing at us, and rightly so. Leopards and spots etc. At least Jordan Lewis was the enforcer for a threepeat team, May has a history of knocking blokes out behind play for an utter rabble over the past eight seasons. Obviously we've recruited May for the next six years, not for round one 2019, but you'd hope this is a wake up call.

Smith - Groin issue. Kept on the ground due to low rotations, but this likely made it worse for him. Will be assessed towards EOW, but sounds in doubt for Round 1.
I'm pretty annoyed that the club made that decision to leave Smith on the ground after he was clearly injured. Should've been taken off and put on ice to give him the best possible chance of playing round 1.

I'm pretty annoyed that the club made that decision to leave Smith on the ground after he was clearly injured. Should've been taken off and put on ice to give him the best possible chance of playing round 1.

I don't understand this either. Why not just play with 16? Its a ******* JLT game FFS

Rest of the comp is laughing at us, and rightly so. Leopards and spots etc. At least Jordan Lewis was the enforcer for a threepeat team, May has a history of knocking blokes out behind play for an utter rabble over the past eight seasons. Obviously we've recruited May for the next six years, not for round one 2019, but you'd hope this is a wake up call.

Didn’t turn up in impressive condition either.

Let’s hope he learns new habits fast.

Sounds ridiculous. I was certain it must have been a corky which would benefit from a bit more running or something but to hear it was aggravated by staying on is incredible.

Didn’t turn up in impressive condition either.

Let’s hope he learns new habits fast.

For real? There were reports of him turning up for pre season in bad nick? Don’t know if this is more embarrassing for the club that made him captain, the club that paid 1 Jesse Hogan for him, or May himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous on so many levels. Firstly for May putting himself in this situation. Secondly Michael Christian. The guy seriously has no idea. The quicker he's replaced the better. Thirdly the Brisbane bloke for being softer than a professional soccer player, absolutely weak as pi$$. If Oliver cops it for falling to the ground, then this bloke should too. Lastly the AFL for allowing such a soft act to force a star of the game to miss the opening round of the year. This game is quickly going to the dogs. The media can GAGF as well. Every little incident on the field is highlighted and the players are generally guilty before they even get to Crazy Christian! I know I'm stuck in the 80's and 90's, a different time. But this generation is soft as butter and the people running it have no idea. It's not Aussie Rules football anymore. It's a hybrid of soccer, netball and something that resembles Aussie Rules. Players having to stay in areas, nominating a ruckman, 50 metre penalties for such minor discrepancies, the bump being outlawed, no runners allowed on the ground, free agency ruining the game, rule changes every 5 minutes! WTF is going on with this game of ours?? No joke, this will be fast become AFLX. Anyone who says it's not heading that way isn't paying enough attention..

For real? There were reports of him turning up for pre season in bad nick? Don’t know if this is more embarrassing for the club that made him captain, the club that paid 1 Jesse Hogan for him, or May himself.

They said he was overweight.

More just lack of conditioning and fitness coming out of a lower standard environment than having a blowout in the offseason.

Still he hasn’t had a good start given what we gave up for him.

Anyone who thinks Berry is soft in this instance needs a head check. He clearly didn't see may coming and effectively copped 100+kgs or whatever May weighs in at straight in the chest at high speed. Of course it's going to knock the wind out of him. Kid is a gun, and tough too. So get a clue. I don't think it was worth a week off at all, but Berry is not soft

I can see it all happening now. Frost, playing instead of May, handballs blindly into the corridor 'Lewis prelim' style with a minute to go. Sharked by Robbie Grey who runs into the open goal to put them up by 7 points which they hold onto til the siren. In the same round, Joel Selwood runs past the ball to bump into the side of an opponent whose head collects the point of Selwood's shoulder. Splits his head open and has his jaw assessed. Player off under concussion rule but returns late in the game. Selwood gets a fine for reckless and low impact, plays v Dees in R2 and dominates.

I had bigger concerns about this outcome than round 1 impact. But everyone seems very confident that things will return “to normal” once the real games begin.

Unlike many, I’m glad it happened (again, if it’s going to be allowed during home/away). This rookie thinks it doesn’t hurt one bit that opposing forwards will have a Stephen May knockout blow on their mind as they come inside 50.

May can join that shoot out when he comes back. No guaranteed spots. Three blokes who would get a game at most other clubs. Even though May is clearly the best of the three on current evidence.

Where do Hore & Keilty fit into this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back