Preview Rnd 1 - Melbourne vs Port Adelaide 23th March 1:45pm

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hell, its about time.

Wines and Dixon at this stage won't be playing for the Power, as for us Lever won't be there and who knows with Viney.

I think Port will be very average this year BUT round 1 can throw up some strange results with all 18 teams fresh and new additions to the 22 trying to gel. Will take the ugliest win ever as long as we get the 4 points, because even if I don't think Port will be much chop in 2019 they've still got enough quality to beat us on their day.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hell, its about time.

Wines and Dixon at this stage won't be playing for the Power, as for us Lever won't be there and who knows with Viney.

I think Port will be very average this year BUT round 1 can throw up some strange results with all 18 teams fresh and new additions to the 22 trying to gel. Will take the ugliest win ever as long as we get the 4 points, because even if I don't think Port will be much chop in 2019 they've still got enough quality to beat us on their day.

Also missing Polec Wingard from the team that last beat us aswell.
Their best is as good as almost anyone's but they are flakey as * and their midfield lacks quality.
I've got a strange feeling we will pummel them. Our midfield should spank them and without Dixon their forward like lacks quality aswell.

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC
I'll be putting us in a multi -39.5 around abouts.

P.S. hope this makes it into their loony bin thread.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Need to repay them for that shocking RD1 loss to them years ago under Neeld with Viney on debut and just about our only good player

Dees by 24 in a scrappy match
My most hated ever game. We’ve done some shockers but I was at the end of my tether. Lost my s**t, stormed out, binned the scarf and was going to ditch it for good

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Let Dixon play, would love to put Frost on him for a truly bizarre matchup

Dixon kicking behind and after behind and Frost just running around doing as he pleases, torps and all

Jack Watts as an early nomination for the the Kingsley kicking 4.
Westhoff for the Boomer award
Jack Watts picked for Round 1? Tell him his dreaming.

Then again there's always a sense of round 1 hopes around him before crushing disappointment, will be fun to watch from the other side

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Their best is as good as almost anyone's but they are flakey as **** and their midfield lacks quality.
I've got a strange feeling we will pummel them. Our midfield should spank them and without Dixon their forward like lacks quality aswell.

To be honest I feel the same but round 1 can throw up strange results.

If we're to finish top 4 this year we can't have these shitty starts to the season like the last two years dropping games to teams we should beat. Should have beaten at least one of the Cats/Hawks last year, the year before we lost to ******* Fremantle at the MCG

AmericanAFL - some explanations for you
Jack Watts as an early nomination for the the Kingsley kicking 4.
Westhoff for the Boomer award
Kingsley award - award for opposition hack player who somehow has the game of their life against us (often more than once)
Boomer award - award for opposition ageing past-it hack who somehow manages to wind back the clock for one more great game against us

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC
I understand the reasons why you are all being conservative, it is the Dees after all, but I reckon we are gonna smoke show Port in round 1. 30 point win minimum.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
AmericanAFL - some explanations for you

Kingsley award - award for opposition hack player who somehow has the game of their life against us (often more than once)
Boomer award - award for opposition ageing past-it hack who somehow manages to wind back the clock for one more great game against us

I wanted to ask, but also didn’t want to take away from the Port discussion- so this is much appreciated.

Also, I’ve heard of the legendary Jack Watts a few times on this board. Would this be his first game against us? If so, was he injured when we played at Port last season or just not selected?

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC
I wanted to ask, but also didn’t want to take away from the Port discussion- so this is much appreciated.

Also, I’ve heard of the legendary Jack Watts a few times on this board. Would this be his first game against us? If so, was he injured when we played at Port last season or just not selected?
He was omitted last year when we played them so yes it will be his first game against his old side if he is selected.

Their best is as good as almost anyone's but they are flakey as **** and their midfield lacks quality.
I think it’ll be complete midfield dominance but we still lost to them last time even though we destroyed them in the middle. Just need to open the game up this time around

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think it’ll be complete midfield dominance but we still lost to them last time even though we destroyed them in the middle. Just need to open the game up this time around

That's because our kicking inside 50 was garbage at times an allowed us to be rebounded against and our defence of Omac and Frost wasn't good enough.

If May can settle well early we will look alot better

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wines was BOG for them last time we played too. I’m just wary of weird results in round 1, on paper we should put them away but I can also see us starting poorly, they get a 5 goal lead which we claw back and then we lose another close game.

Back