Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I'm actually digging the Smith selection now I think more about it because I think he will help us in a big way outside the direct impact of goals if he plays right.

One thing about Smith is because of his leap you can't afford to not have someone stand on his shoulder. So long as he doesn't keep jumping into contests when McDonald or Weid have separated from their opponent he should be effective. I'm not expecting him to beat many defenders but you wouldn't wanna leave him alone which should give the keys some space.

Needs to know when to go an when to crumb

How’s his set kick?

Some worrying signs in the pre-season. I have no doubt we will hit our stride at some point, but with arguably the toughest draw this season, we can't afford to drop a game like Round 1 at home against an interstate team tipped to miss the 8 by most. Sounds silly, but its a must win.

However, I just have this feeling we wont. Too many niggles and injury concerns and players underdone. Now May misses. No way Jones, Melksham, Viney, Harmes will be 100%. And we must have had 3 or 4 other blokes limping through that Lions game. Not to mention the same issues as last year showed up in the two JLT games. Lack of run out of defence, and hitting targets in the F50. Neither looked to have improved. Both Tigers and Lions transition out of defence and into attack made us look 2nd rate.

The last worrying thing for me is form. Yes, say it's JLT and it doesnt mean anything, yet all the other teams vying for top 4 got the job done and will take momentum into the season. Port will bring the intensity. I'm worried we wont be able to match it based on several worrying signs. Lets hope they put these concerns to rest in a couple of weeks.

Harmes will be 100% surely, just a finger injury

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Who’s got a screen shot of the post(s) that got Topkent a vacation?

Also, how long is he gone? He’s the only bloke not sleeping when I’m on here.

EDIT- “day off” should have been my first clue.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
In all my time following AFL football, that is hands down the worst suspension I’ve ever seen, bar none.

you clearly haven't seen much football. Opted to bump. He wasn't bracing. If you watch the replay he went left then went back right to lay the bump. Got him high. Easy for the tribunal. Soft or medium impact is the only thing that can be argued.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
you clearly haven't seen much football. Opted to bump. He wasn't bracing. If you watch the replay he went left then went back right to lay the bump. Got him high. Easy for the tribunal. Soft or medium impact is the only thing that can be argued.

To be fair old mate is an American who only started watching last season

Any news on how Viney and co got through the Casey game?
In the reserves
It was a double-header at Casey Fields on Saturday, with Nathan Jones, Jake Melksham and Jack Viney having their first run around for 2019 in a practice match for the Casey Demons.

The trio were in fine form in the VFL, while youngsters Tom Sparrow and Kade Chandler were among a number of Demons to impress.

Melbourne FC

@melbournefc

· Mar 9, 2019

Replying to @melbournefc
FT

A 75-point win for Casey!
1f64c.png

CAS 14.17 (101) | BRIS 4.2 (26)

Melbourne FC

@melbournefc

The co-captain made a successful return to the field today.
1f44c.png

Hear from Jonesy after his hit-out for the Casey Demons.
1f447.png
pic.twitter.com/q4KLHimQ2k

3:47 PM - Mar 9, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Melbourne FC's other Tweets

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Just watched the injury report on club website, apparently all relatively fine (Viney had a cork).
Yeah, good news. The only long term concerns are JKH, Neitschke and Lever right? And both JKH and Lever should be back just before mid season. So not a bad result on the injury front. I do have concerns that we have had a lot of guys with niggles and with limited game time come round 1. We'll see if that makes a difference to how we go about it. But it's not ideal IMO.

From Misson’s report:

vandenBerg - His recovery usually involves spending 1-2 games off legs post-game, this is why he missed Family Day. 100% fine for Round 1.

Preuss - Mild adductor strain, available for Round 1 selection.

Harmes - Will run/join in contact drills by end of the week, available for Round 1.

Viney - Corkie in ITB region, hence large bandage. Pulled up fine besides this, fine for Round 1.

Melksham - Available for Round 1.

Smith - Groin issue. Kept on the ground due to low rotations, but this likely made it worse for him. Will be assessed towards EOW, but sounds in doubt for Round 1.

Fritsch - Corked hip pointer, again kept on ground due to low rotations. Pulled up OK, however, and should be fine for Round 1.

Jones - Corked calf, but got through fine. Available for Round 1.

JKH - 12 weeks with the knee hyperextension/bone bruising.

Walker - Nerve damage to shoulder, TBA timeline, however six months was mentioned.

Melksham - Available for Round 1.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Assuming Preuss misses round 1.

Jetta May Lewis
Hibberd OMac Salem
Jones Oliver Fritsch
Melksham TMac Petracca
Hunt Weideman Smith
Gawn Viney Brayshaw
Harmes ANB Vandenberg Spargo

Agree with others that Spargos form is pretty average but unless we blood someone like Bedford or Baker I don't see a direct replacement. Frost in for May if he is suspended.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Smith sounds in doubt for r1 to me. I thought it must have been only a corked thigh or something that he had, but with a 'pretty significant groin injury' and 'pulled up really sore', according to Missons update, it sounds like he could be missing a few weeks.

"Significant Momentum" ... ? has this bloke ever seen a bump before? I'd have thought significant would be from a run up, not off half a step.

If that’s “significant momentum”, May must have been travelling at the speed of light when he bumped Martin. Surprised Martin didn’t spontaneously combust upon impact.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

"Significant Momentum" ... ? has this bloke ever seen a bump before? I'd have thought significant would be from a run up, not off half a step.
The fact they pay silks to do these bullshit kangaroo courts is a joke. Should be each side tells the story, look at the tape, hear the medical report and thats it.

Its not a ******* court!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Maybe it's just me, but I think it was borderline. I wouldn't have given it a week, but the club needed evidence to overturn it and ultimately it was a 6 vs half a dozen type of call. His feet don't leave the ground, but ultimately the ball was gone and it was a 1v1 front on which clipped the chin. Classic Michael Christian chook lotto.

Despite the fact that I think the decision is a bit s**t, I'm more annoyed that May attempts that kind of bump in a meaningless practice game. Save it for the real stuff. Would have annoyed me if, say, McStay had done that to Harmes. No need for it in a game where both teams are having a run around and trying not to get injured. How this bloke ever captained an AFL club was always a bit beyond my understanding, and gee whiz do I hope this pulls him into line. Luckily Dixon is missing for Port now too, so the impact is mitigated somewhat.

We needed a lawyer, got bent over. Wont matter though we will just use Frosty
Did we really not have a lawyer? What's the point of half your coterie being QCs if you're not going to use one at the tribunal. ******* dumb.

Back