Preview Rnd 1 - Melbourne vs Port Adelaide 23th March 1:45pm

Franky_024

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
As long as May is back to mitigate Hawkins i'm happy, he tore Oscar a new one last time we played them

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I’ve totally missed Hannan’s injury. Listed as 8-12, when did that happen? I like the variety he brings to the forward line when he’s in form.
He had surgery on the knee that was bothering him most of last season in October, and I think I remember hearing something about a follow up surgery. Because of its persistent nature, I suspect they're being really cautious with him.

Absolutely agree tho, I'm a huge fan of his, so will just have to look forward to him having an impact in the back half of the year.

Whats the status of Kolodashnij? Hard to find any info. Is he a chance for round 1?

Nah still 3 weeks away. Id think he will be playing VFL during AFL round 2 if he stays on track.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where do Hore & Keilty fit into this?

good question. I think with Keilty they'll continue with his development at Casey as a forward. he has good set of hands and we need someone to back up Weid and Tmac in case of injury. maybe even ruck as well, and we seem to have plenty of KPD depth atm.

Hore is an interesting one.
I think the coaches eventually want May and Lever to be the 2 main men down back, and so targeted Hore as someone who can read the play, with good skills and who can do a job on a 3rd tall forward if needed, but also play on a smaller guy as well and drop off and be the 3rd man up at contests. he gives the defence a bit of added versatility, as you don't want the back 6/7 to be chopping and changing all season to suit other teams forward lines.
we tried Wagner in the role early last year but he wasn't up to it. neither was J.Smith later in the year.

I think Oscar is way too slow to have in there as a 3rd tall defender and while Frost is big and quick and could play that role better, his disposal lets him down a fair bit, as does his misreading of the ball in flight at times.
maybe Petty could possibly play that role, but I see him as more of a developing KPD as well.

I don't think the coaches would be put off playing Hore for r1 on the back of the JLT games. he wasn't as bad as people are making out, he took some intercept marks got plenty of spoils in and gave a bit of rebound. our understrength midfield didn't apply a whole lot of pressure in either game so the backline was under the pump and no one really stood out as having good games down back because of it. but I think with more pressure on up the field, Hore will come into his own with his ability to read the play and the ball in flight.
also he gives us the ability to play Fritsch more Wing/HF and frees up Hibberd a bit to get back to his rebounding best.

but of course I could be completely wrong about everything. that's just my opinion.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Meanwhile, Lever is suddenly listed as 12-16 weeks ...
That is straight up vintage MFC 'injury member management'. If he's 12-16 weeks in MFC-speak, I'm willing to put money on the fact we won't see him this year at all.

I'm still pretty skeptical we will see Viney before the bye. Jones only a maybe too..

That is straight up vintage MFC 'injury member management'. If he's 12-16 weeks in MFC-speak, I'm willing to put money on the fact we won't see him this year at all.

I'm still pretty skeptical we will see Viney before the bye. Jones only a maybe too..
MFCSS at its finest. Viney was 'never going to be fit for finals' we all agreed, but we got him up and he dominated. Both will play rd 1. Lever's injury is probably being covered up to a degree, but he had soreness in December and was in the US to see a Dr in February (nine months post injury) so it's clear not everything is hunky dory. The fact that he's done one before this, and the knee was supposedly less stable than it should have been post recovery, means they better be playing no risk with this one.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
MFCSS at its finest. Viney was 'never going to be fit for finals' we all agreed, but we got him up and he dominated. Both will play rd 1. Lever's injury is probably being covered up to a degree, but he had soreness in December and was in the US to see a Dr in February (nine months post injury) so it's clear not everything is hunky dory. The fact that he's done one before this, and the knee was supposedly less stable than it should have been post recovery, means they better be playing no risk with this one.
I wear my MFCSS proudly.

I'm not even commenting on the actual injuries themselves, I'm commenting on the relaying of information about said injuries to the members.

Surely you remember the '100% right for round 1' in relation to Viney and TMac last season? That was all we heard during the off-season, even up until the week of round one as I recall.

Now we see Viney and Jones playing for Casey (which I don't really understand but that is a separate point) and Viney limping off with a heavily bandaged leg but they are '100% right for round one'. Excuse me for not being entirely trusting of these injury reports in the preseason, but it's not as if I don't have a point.

Also, I am firmly in the 'if they are even in some minute way injured at the start of the season, don't bloody play them and get them right first' camp. Just say that though. Don't stuff members and supporters around by saying they will '100% be right for round one' then say 'yeah probably closer to round 8'.

Having had a full reco on my knee, I can understand the changing estimated return date with his one. It's probably a month later than I'd have guessed but clearly there is something wrong, so say that.

'There is something more wrong with his knee that we are investigating. We are of course trying to be cautious with him to ensure when he does come back, the risk of re-injury is as minimal as possible. Totally understand that might not be what supporters want to hear, but that is what it is.'

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
'There is something more wrong with his knee that we are investigating. We are of course trying to be cautious with him to ensure when he does come back, the risk of re-injury is as minimal as possible. Totally understand that might not be what supporters want to hear, but that is what it is.'
But they have said that ... when he had a second surgery on it when something wasn't right, they said that given its the second time, they're going to take as long as they need, and longer than normal

Is there any way to watch the Casey games?
Generally only one VFL game is televised per week so you can only see a few games which you would find on the Channel 7 website. You might need a VPN though. Sometimes clubs will film the games but this will be very amateur production value, usually a single camera and commentary if you're lucky.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
AFL.com.au's attempt at naming our Round 1 side ...

B: Neville Jetta, Oscar McDonald, Marty Hore
HB: Michael Hibberd, Sam Frost, Jordan Lewis
C: Christian Salem, Angus Brayshaw, Nathan Jones
HF: Alex Neal-Bullen, Tom McDonald, Jake Melksham
F: Christian Petracca, Sam Weideman, Joel Smith
Foll: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Jack Viney
I/C: Aaron vandenBerg, Bayley Fritsch, James Harmes, Jayden Hunt
EMERG: Billy Stretch, Charlie Spargo, Corey Wagner, Declan Keilty

Actually looks pretty good to me. Hore or Frost to come out the following week for May

Back