Preview Rnd 1 - Melbourne vs Port Adelaide 23th March 1:45pm

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we drop this game we'll most likely be starting the season 0-2 and going into a big friday night game against a potentially decent bombers side.

Really is a must win at home against a side that isn't featuring in anyones top 8, we dropped games like this last season and it cost us a top 4 finish.

Dees by 30+ for me.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If we drop this game we'll most likely be starting the season 0-2 and going into a big friday night game against a potentially decent bombers side.

Really is a must win at home against a side that isn't featuring in anyones top 8, we dropped games like this last season and it cost us a top 4 finish.

Dees by 30+ for me.

Eh if we lose this I'll probably put extra on us to win at Geelong. Right when we have no chance we seem to come up again.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Dees by 30+ for me.
Every round is important. But i tend to agree that this game is a big banana skin game for us. With a very tough draw, it's important we beat sides we should. No Dixon, no Wines and potentially no Ryder means arguably their 3 most dangerous players will be missing. If we cant beat them, how we going to go against the better teams? Round 1 always throws up some crazy results though..

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Every round is important. But i tend to agree that this game is a big banana skin game for us. With a very tough draw, it's important we beat sides we should. No Dixon, no Wines and potentially no Ryder means arguably their 3 most dangerous players will be missing. If we cant beat them, how we going to go against the better teams? Round 1 always throws up some crazy results though..

Remember when we lost to the Saints an then beat GWS WC Geelong an Hawthorn?

In saying that we need to stop losing games we are favourites in some time

People need to stop being so fatalistic. Sports teams lose games. Sometimes it's just a freak result. Stop worrying so much about what's at stake for a 23 round season if we lost our first game.

We would be forgiven for dropping this game had it been hosted in Adelaide. To drop a game against a middle of the table side at home when we're just opening our flag window would be a pretty ordinary way to start the year. But plenty of the great sides have slipped up early in the season.

We would be forgiven for dropping this game had it been hosted in Adelaide. To drop a game against a middle of the table side at home when we're just opening our flag window would be a pretty ordinary way to start the year. But plenty of the great sides have slipped up early in the season.
Keen to play them at the G. It seems like forever since we have played them there since all of our home games against them in recent years have been in the NT.

We played both Adelaide an Port at the G in '17

We did? I must have been out of town, have lived in Melbourne for 5 years and never seen Port play live.

Did we win? :p

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We did? I must have been out of town, have lived in Melbourne for 5 years and never seen Port play live.

Did we win? :p

Yeah we kicked like 8 of the first 9 goals of the game or something. Hogan was on fire an I think that's the game Melksham kicked a clutch goal from the boundary in the last

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Adelaide was 2016. We haven’t played the Eagles at the MCG since 2014...

Yeah you are right. That game against the crows was a classic.

Eagles game I remember that was Roos second in charge when he decided to change s**t up after we were right there at half time an then got spanked. It's when he threw Howe back an Frawley forward.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Yeah you are right. That game against the crows was a classic.

Eagles game I remember that was Roos second in charge when he decided to change s**t up after we were right there at half time an then got spanked. It's when he threw Howe back an Frawley forward.
Was that the game where the team was given a standing ovation at half time for being in the contest?

Was that the game where the team was given a standing ovation at half time for being in the contest?
Nah that was Neeld era, we were like 10 points down at half time. Lost by 90 points.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Nah that was Neeld era, we were like 10 points down at half time. Lost by 90 points.
I actually remember cheering them off in that game. Was weird, because I was doing it ironically like a Bronx cheer, but I got the feeling 90% of others were actually genuinely cheering.

Some of those Bronx cheering opportunities were great though through that era. I remember (possibly in Bailey's time) where we lost like 14 centre clearances in a row or something before finally winning one (hack kick forward). Pretty sure it bounced straight back out (probably for a goal) but the ironic cheer was juicy.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I actually remember cheering them off in that game. Was weird, because I was doing it ironically like a Bronx cheer, but I got the feeling 90% of others were actually genuinely cheering.

Some of those Bronx cheering opportunities were great though through that era. I remember (possibly in Bailey's time) where we lost like 14 centre clearances in a row or something before finally winning one (hack kick forward). Pretty sure it bounced straight back out (probably for a goal) but the ironic cheer was juicy.

I remember the team being booed at 3/4 time against Port in 2013 and again when the game finished, obviously happened again the next week against Essendon. Also remember Dawes copping a few bronx cheers for holding onto a mark.

I remember the team being booed at 3/4 time against Port in 2013 and again when the game finished, obviously happened again the next week against Essendon. Also remember Dawes copping a few bronx cheers for holding onto a mark.

Makes me feel sick, dark days.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Also remember Dawes copping a few bronx cheers for holding onto a mark.
Haha. I remember that one too.

Those days I used to walk into the ground saying things to myself like 'OK, if we win the tackle count, I'll be happy'

Ol' concrete hands. Or was it trampoline hands. I can't remember. Same outcome.

PORT Adelaide will roll out a new-look side with four debutants for its season-opener against Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday.

Power coach Ken Hinkley confirmed on Tuesday that first-round draft picks Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma will all take on the Demons, along with third-year midfielder Willem Drew.

Marquee recruit West Coast premiership-winning ruckman Scott Lycett and former Hawthorn defender Ryan Burton will also play their first games for the Power.

All up, the Power will have 11 changes to the team that lost to Essendon in round 23 last year.

"It makes it hard for Melbourne to predict what we're going to do, because we don't know what we're going to do," Hinkley told reporters.

"It's incredibly exciting, there's no doubt about that."

Not sure who the other five are

Back