Autopsy Rnd 10 2018 Swans vs Brisvegas

Bloody

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Jack needs to get his eyes tested, every pass to a forward is overcooked with no pressure on him, still good on inside though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Our defenders - take a bow all of you
Hayward - class
Heeney - class
McCartin - can we afford to play him

Of course we can afford to play TM. Gets to contests and needs continuity and hopefully a drier ball.

Apr 10, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Anaheim Angels, UA Crimson Tide
Their has been question marks over the Swans defense at times this season, along with is Grundy past his use by date etc , that effort against a improving Brisbane side should give some answers.
Macca after sluggish start to the season really is finding his form , JPK finding plenty of the Ball points to positive times ahead for some of the more senior players. Buddy while only kicking one Goal himself , did set up another 4 goals in a low scoring game.
On the younger player front Lloyd is simply a class above, and must be knocking on the Door of AA selection. Stoddart on debut didn't look out of place in the side, and nice Football smarts to snap his first Senior Goal. Ronke,Heeney and Hayward with Two Goals showing a good spread of scorers.

Urgh. 6 day break after a wet game. And Carlton have found a bit of form.

Carlton are the bye, no problems there whatsoever.

Are you suggesting our whole midfield got those figures? If you are then I think you are deluded

'The midfield' as referred to on this board is JPK.

Whilst I agree McCartin wasn't brilliant yesterday, we look sooooooooo much better when we have the two tall targets in the forward line, so either he or Cameron have to be in the team till Reid is back.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep conditions made life hard for him, but he did all the right things, suspect coaches would tell the kid he did his job

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
He has the potential to be a top 10 player

I love Hayward too but this would suggest he could be the best player at more than half of the clubs in the AFL and a medium forward who can pinch hit in the middle is very, very rarely ever that. He's good but he's not gonna be that good imo.

If he ever becomes a top 50 player, I'll be stoked. And that's not talking him down, a top 50 player is excellent.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I'm always amazed at how Kennedy plays wet weather football like it's dry weather football. Heeney and Georgie also very clean in the wet. Marsh plugged the gap and did his role. Horse will be very pleased with him. Grundy and Rampe became more confident in Marsh's role as the game wore on, meaning they could take risks knowing the back 6 structure was in place. I think that's the big difference with Aliir who's a good individual defender with real flair but isn't as predictable for the rest of the defence. Our defence was key too. Our midfield struggled a bit, with Martin proving too good with the taps (and around the ground). Still they usually put on enough pressure on the ball carrier and our defence did the rest. Any other defence would have broken in that last quarter. Ours stretched and absorbed, every time, every thrust. I think we could have hurt them more on the rebound but we played it safe and went for territory rather than trying to pin point kicks in the damp conditions. Brisbane had nothing to lose and, to their credit, went for a win rather than limiting the size of the loss. We protected our lead at all costs but it got us the four points.

Was it ugly ? Not to me. The last quarter was an exciting good honest all in war of attrition. I don't love wet footy but that was some quality wet footy scrapping between two determined teams. Sometimes that can be more exciting than uncontested possessions, end-to-end running and high scoring. I remember watching the Nick Davis quarter at the SCG. That was some of the scrappiest, ugliest and most exciting football I've ever watched. The atmosphere at the ground was electric, like a lightning storm breaking. A far better spectacle than the clean clinical assasination of the Saints the week after.

Seemed like the umpires waited until the game was in no doubt before slipping in a few soft frees to the Swans to try to hide their earlier bias. Just once I'd like to see us get a handful of soft frees early on in the game like our opponents usually get. Leg End should head an Umpires Review Committee. The URC could review all decisions at the end of the round with the power to award missed frees for subsequent games or suspend/sack umpires for obvious bias.

giantsully

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swans
Your reasoning is odd. No Brisbane were never going to win.

Those thinking this wasn't a game that could have gone either way are deluding themselves. 21 inside 50s in last term says otherwise. 2 goals from 50m penalties that if they'd happened to us we'd be bleating for months says otherwise. And the fact that the 3-2-1 vote could easily all be Lions confirms they were very much in the hunt.

Good win on the back of unbelievable defence, great efforts from the older brigade around the ball and some class finish from the youngsters - but it so easily could have been a different story.

McCartin - can we afford to play him

If you have a better option until Reid is back I'm all ears.

McCartin is doing a decent job. It is clear he's not ready but like Florent last year we will see the rewards in 2019 for giving him a few games.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Mccartin brings the ball to ground giving our busy bee small/medium forwards a chance. His competitiveness is crucial to converting our inside 50s even if it doesn't show up in his stat sheet.

Also allows Buddy to roam further up the ground.
I understand that he has still bringing something to the team, but he probably needs to actually take some marks and kick some goals at some point. At this stage of his development, he's a poor man's Xavier Richards. Don't get me wrong, he's got upside, but I don't think his AFL ready at the moment.

I understand that he has still bringing something to the team, but he probably needs to actually take some marks and kick some goals at some point. At this stage of his development, he's a poor man's Xavier Richards. Don't get me wrong, he's got upside, but I don't think his AFL ready at the moment.

As I said...give us another option considering Reid is injured. AA isn’t a forward so who is your alternative?

I agree in a way, he isn't AFL ready. But he is there for structure and is doing enough to keep his place given the lack of options matching his size etc. (IMO).

I'd like to see Cameron given a crack at some point, just not doing what McCartin is doing. Perhaps when Reid is back, McCartin goes out and Cameron comes in for a week somewhere to give Sinkers a week off(?); But at this stage I think we'd rather have McCartin in for our structures more-so than any other options available right now.

I understand and agree with what you are saying but I wouldn't call him a poor mans Xavier Richards, more a younger version. His upside and future potential leave X a long, long way behind.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As I said...give us another option considering Reid is injured. AA isn’t a forward so who is your alternative?
Gary Rohan would be my preferred alternative. Or if we want to reduce the load on Sinclair, bringing Darcy Cameron in as a trial and playing Sinclair in the forward 50 a bit more.

Back