Preview Rnd 10 - Carlton v Geelong Saturday 26th May 7.25pm @ GMHBA Stadium - Team Post #494

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones needs to play closer to his assigned player and leave the intercepting up to others.
Too many times this season he has been caught out of position.

Pish posh.

Jonesey's best work is when he comes off his man and goes third man up in a contest. Leave it to the others? Nah.

He gets exposed when the forwards/mids turn it over and the ball beats most of our defenders back. Jones has been playing as the deepest defender a fair bit, and there have been times he's decided to commit to coming up at a mismatched contest on the 50m arc, and left a forward deep by themselves. He's maybe been a bit overzealous sometimes, but what he's trying to do is turn that 1:1 into a 1:2 in our favour so we can force a stoppage or win the ball back ourselves.

If we get better at not turning the ball over or allowing crazy fast breaks, or if we structure up better with another defender or two hanging back to actually defend that 50m arc, he can keep doing what he's doing.

When we slow the opposition down and force them to kick high into a crowded forward 50, Jones does some fantastic stuff by coming off his man, and long may that continue.

Pish posh.

Jonesey's best work is when he comes off his man and goes third man up in a contest. Leave it to the others? Nah.

He gets exposed when the forwards/mids turn it over and the ball beats most of our defenders back. Jones has been playing as the deepest defender a fair bit, and there have been times he's decided to commit to coming up at a mismatched contest on the 50m arc, and left a forward deep by themselves. He's maybe been a bit overzealous sometimes, but what he's trying to do is turn that 1:1 into a 1:2 in our favour so we can force a stoppage or win the ball back ourselves.

If we get better at not turning the ball over or allowing crazy fast breaks, or if we structure up better with another defender or two hanging back to actually defend that 50m arc, he can keep doing what he's doing.

When we slow the opposition down and force them to kick high into a crowded forward 50, Jones does some fantastic stuff by coming off his man, and long may that continue.
I don't agree with how Streak's suggested he corrects it, but McDonald exposed him badly in multiple contests. He was prepared to stay down when Jones went for the super late spoil, and it got him two goals.

These timing issues happened across the board, so when turnovers did come, they rained goals. Extra running means extra ragged players at critical stages, and when we already had a fitness disadvantage, we went from 'cooked' to 'surface of the sun'.

Jones needs to be smarter.

I don't agree with how Streak's suggested he corrects it, but McDonald exposed him badly in multiple contests. He was prepared to stay down when Jones went for the super late spoil, and it got him two goals.

These timing issues happened across the board, so when turnovers did come, they rained goals. Extra running means extra ragged players at critical stages, and when we already had a fitness disadvantage, we went from 'cooked' to 'surface of the sun'.

Jones needs to be smarter.

I have a feeling that is like saying water needs to be dryer.

The only way Jones gets smarter s Docherty comes back and tells him what to do again.

You can see me addressing that speed/fitness/midfield balance from the other end of the ground by dropping Graham and Lamb as well. People are going to scream at me because Graham had a wealth of possessions, but I've never seen a duller 28 possession performance. He rarely found space, turned it over 25% of the time, and did nothing the other way. Kerridge had a dirty day (arguably from having to run around like a lunatic again), but Graham was actually worse. I'm fed up with the two to four 30 metre kicks a game that people praise him for while his mates are looking exhausted because they're doing all the running he isn't, so I'd like to see him replaced with someone who can actually compete for first possession at the stoppage and at least stick tackles and position well.

Garlett did a mountain of running today that clearly went unrewarded

Lunacy that you're grilling Graham over lack of impact but praising Garlett. Garlett is one of the meekest footballers I've ever seen. I don't even think he's VFL standard.

The only way Jones gets smarter s Docherty comes back and tells him what to do again.
Or our midfielders could stop turning the ball over all the time so our defenders don't get caught out of position. We make average forwards look like Jason Dunstall way too often

Jones doesn't strike me as unintelligent, but his footy nous definitely needs work. Hopefully he continues to be coachable.

Lunacy that you're grilling Graham over lack of impact but praising Garlett. Garlett is one of the meekest footballers I've ever seen. I don't even think he's VFL standard.
Lunacy that you're taking it to such extremes.

Graham had about 6 moments in the game where he had a real impact on the contest, which was barely ahead of Garlett. Anyone with eyeballs knows Garlett has the higher ceiling, but we took a chance on bringing him back into the system so early, after 18 months of not really being involved in a football program at state or the professional level.

If Graham could apply pressure in the forward 50, I'd pick him ahead of Garlett. Garlett is making improvements every week, and this week's milestone was him covering almost 15 km in the game. He's never going to be a bruiser, but when his confidence and fitness are up and about he will apply elite pressure and counter-attack run.

I'd rather take a chance on that than using Graham as an inside mid.

I like the idea of Curnow coming in for Garlett, Weitering for Plowman and Charlie for Kerr.

Graham goes to the wing/HFF role. We then get an extra rotation through the middle while Wright can stay permanently forward. We need players that hunt inside 50 and stay in their position for shape. We ran out arses off chasing v Melbourne which was wasted. We are better off staying forward like they did and wait for the Ball to come back. I reckon we had 10 players just chasing all day and not trying to keep their shape for offensive action.

another thing we did really poorly (which was related) was jack the ball out of contests rather than using the quick handball forward. We then kicked to lever or MacDonald or Lewis. They had players just stay inside def 50. Inside forward 50 they ran to support the kids but then ran in waves when they could see (and they knew) that they would get the ball. We had the disadvantage of just chasing and not assuming we would win. Losers mentality creeping in hard.

I want to know why Matthew Wright stays out of the gun. He's every bit as slow as Graham, averages 2.3 tackles, and has kicked 3 goals in the last 7 weeks playing predominantly as a small forward. Has been good for us in the past, but his lack of forward pressure is telling imo, and he's due for a spell. I'd like to see Polson have a 2 week stint. He applies tackle pressure and was named in the bests for Northern.

I can't believe there is criticism of Nick Graham after a career-high 28 disposals. He's still 23, which is exactly 1 year older than Jarrod Garlett, for whom apparently 10 touches and 3 tackles is plenty. Garlett also hasn't kicked a goal in 5 games - so what exactly does he bring to his role? He's slow, soft, and not contributing.

I also reckon O'Brien and Dow need to go back to the 2s. O'Brien isn't ready physically - he can run, but got badly outmuscled. Dow? Wow, he's uninspiring. He can win contested footy and has a nice sidestep. But right now he's slow to read the game, his disposal is awful, and he doesn't get much of the ball. Both are young and don't need to be part of the obliteration we are facing in the next 2 weeks.

I think O'Shea has run his race. Murphy probably plays in a limited role as a forward? Kerr can probably have a second game, particularly if we're playing teams with garbage rucks like Geelong.

I think Marchbank and Kennedy should be rested or play seconds up until the bye. Just can't afford to have guys breaking down. Same with Williamson - there's no rush given we have 2 floggings coming up.

So that makes it something like:
Out: Garlett, Dow, O'Brien, O'Shea, Wright,
In: Curnow, Curnow, Weitering, Cuninham, Polson

b: Jones, Rowe, Plowman
hb: Simpson, Weitering, Thomas
c: Kerridge, Cripps, Fisher
hf: Petrevski-Seton, Curnow, Lang
f: Murphy, McKay, Lamb
Foll: Kreuzer, Graham, Curnow
Bench: Cuningham, Mullet, Polson, Kerr

In reality, we're playing with a man loose in defence, so Mullet starts for SPS/Murphy. That's probably the oldest team we've fielded all year, best placed to absorb the pressure of the next 2 weeks. Also has a bit more speed and tackle pressure up forward, and hopefully with Weiters playing spare in defence a bit of run there too.

I'll take Dow's 15 possessions per game over Polson's 5.
Uninspiring? Bruhhhhhhhhh.

As for O'Brien, despite tiring, he's still one of our best runners, and in a team where elite endurance is sorely lacking, we can continue to use and develop him in the seniors.

These two guys will be getting a well-needed break in a couple of weeks, there's no rush to get them out, just manage their loads.

I want to know why Matthew Wright stays out of the gun. He's every bit as slow as Graham, averages 2.3 tackles, and has kicked 3 goals in the last 7 weeks playing predominantly as a small forward. Has been good for us in the past, but his lack of forward pressure is telling imo, and he's due for a spell. I'd like to see Polson have a 2 week stint. He applies tackle pressure and was named in the bests for Northern.
He's not slow, and he's not been playing predominantly as a small forward for several weeks.

I can't believe there is criticism of Nick Graham after a career-high 28 disposals. He's still 23, which is exactly 1 year older than Jarrod Garlett, for whom apparently 10 touches and 3 tackles is plenty. Garlett also hasn't kicked a goal in 5 games - so what exactly does he bring to his role? He's slow, soft, and not contributing.
Do they play the same role? Do you honestly believe Garlett is slow? I don't understand why you've highlighted this comparison.

They play different roles, and with Cuningham and Ed due back, Graham has no real role except half-forward, where he hasn't been great in terms of any form of pressure. On top of that, I'd rate 15 of SOS' possessions over 30 of Graham's.

On the other hand, Polson for Garlett has merit, but I see that as a 50/50 call. Given Garlett covered some serious territory on the weekend, I'm hoping he's turned the corner.

For mine, what's more important is that we improve the amount of territory the entire team can cover and how effective they are with their ball use as they do so, so when Garlett, Graham and anyone else kicks towards the 50, they're not met with a 1v4 contest.

Appalling effort on the weekend. Need to really regroup, otherwise could be another ton down at the Cattery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or our midfielders could stop turning the ball over all the time so our defenders don't get caught out of position. We make average forwards look like Jason Dunstall way too often

Yep. Stop turning the ball over so easily and put some proper pressure on in the midfield and our defence when fit will be very good.

I would keep the youngsters in . Dow developing. . I wouldn’t drop Kerr. Bit worried about Jarryd though. I haven’t looked at stats but I heard he ran 15 km in the dees loss. That’s workrate. But yeah watching on tv I want him to take the game on a bit more . Cunningham in ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Garlett covers a lot of ground and works hard. His ball use is desperatley needed. Issue is at the moment everytime he has a chance to really impact a contest he hesitates or doesn't go hard enough. Fix that and he will be good

Pish posh.

I’m a jones fan also. Insightful post .

I have been pretty vocal about how bad Nick Graham is, but i thought at least he was prepared to go hard on Sunday and racked up 28 disposals. Thought he was half decent last week as well.

Weitering should be back this week after a solid block of games and form in the VFL. Good seeing Tom Williamson back from injury. We need him across half back.

I also reckon O'Brien and Dow need to go back to the 2s. O'Brien isn't ready physically - he can run, but got badly outmuscled. Dow? Wow, he's uninspiring. He can win contested footy and has a nice sidestep. But right now he's slow to read the game, his disposal is awful, and he doesn't get much of the ball. Both are young and don't need to be part of the obliteration we are facing in the next 2 weeks.

WOW alright. :straining:

Dow for kid in his 9th game in a side that is struggling to win clean ball has been impressive. Looks closely, his workrate and smarts around the contest are so far ahead of most it's not funny. 14 possessions, 10 contested, 4 tackles and 71% efficiency is impressive

As for O'Brien, wasn't his best game but did the job he was asked to do and he was good against Essendon.

These two need to keep playing. Big Picture

Garlett covers a lot of ground and works hard. His ball use is desperatley needed. Issue is at the moment everytime he has a chance to really impact a contest he hesitates or doesn't go hard enough. Fix that and he will be good
Garlett was good at applying tackle pressure befor injuring his shoulder .might be why he's a bit hesitant going in for the big driving tackle or his shoulder is not a100% yet .

2418q2q.jpg

I think O'Shea has run his race. Murphy probably plays in a limited role as a forward? Kerr can probably have a second game, particularly if we're playing teams with garbage rucks like Geelong.

I think Marchbank and Kennedy should be rested or play seconds up until the bye. Just can't afford to have guys breaking down. Same with Williamson - there's no rush given we have 2 floggings coming up.

So that makes it something like:
Out: Garlett, Dow, O'Brien, O'Shea, Wright,
In: Curnow, Curnow, Weitering, Cuninham, Polson

b: Jones, Rowe, Plowman
hb: Simpson, Weitering, Thomas
c: Kerridge, Cripps, Fisher
hf: Petrevski-Seton, Curnow, Lang
f: Murphy, McKay, Lamb
Foll: Kreuzer, Graham, Curnow
Bench: Cuningham, Mullet, Polson, Kerr

In reality, we're playing with a man loose in defence, so Mullet starts for SPS/Murphy. That's probably the oldest team we've fielded all year, best placed to absorb the pressure of the next 2 weeks. Also has a bit more speed and tackle pressure up forward, and hopefully with Weiters playing spare in defence a bit of run there too.

Only read half the post but agree Wright should be dropped before Graham...wright has very little impact in most games he plays, then has a really good game once every 5 weeks.

I'd prefer Graham who I think has been pretty good. Some posters way too harsh on him and basically he's a whipping boy to them.

GEEL
In: Ratugolea, Parfitt, Fogarty
Out: Horlin-Smith, Henry, Gregson

CARL
In: C.Curnow (if fit), Weitering, E.Curnow, Shaw, Cuningham, J.Silvagni
Out: O’Brien (rest), Kerr (stays if Charlie doesn't play), O’Shea, Jones (or Rowe), Mullett, Kerridge (or Graham)

B: Tom Stewart, Harry Taylor, Jake Kolodjashnij
F: Jack Silvagni, Charlie Curnow, Matthew Wright

HB: Zach Tuohy, Mark Blicavs, Jed Bews
HF: Jed Lamb, Harry McKay, Darcy Lang

C: Mitch Duncan, Joel Selwood, Tim Kelly
C: Marc Murphy, Ed Curnow, Zac Fisher

HF: Sam Menegola, Esava Ratugolea, Lachlan Fogarty
HB: Dale Thomas, Jacob Weitering, Matt Shaw

F: Brandon Parfitt, Tom Hawkins, Stewart Crameri
B: Kade Simpson, Sam Rowe, Lachie Plowman

Foll: Zac Smith, Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, David Cuningham

I/C: Jordan Cunico, Jordan Murdoch, Jackson Thurlow, James Parsons
I/C: Paddy Dow, Jarrod Garlett, Sam Petresvki-Seton, Nick Graham

Only read half the post but agree Wright should be dropped before Graham...wright has very little impact in most games he plays, then has a really good game once every 5 weeks.

I'd prefer Graham who I think has been pretty good. Some posters way too harsh on him and basically he's a whipping boy to them.

Graham been ok. Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back