Preview Rnd 10 - Carlton v Hawks Sat May 22 at 1.45 at MCG - Team Post #357

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 8 after 9 rounds is an odd measure for that, given the varying difficulties clubs face with their fixtures.

In my book, we're one game behind "expectation".

There's plenty to be concerned about in relation to method, but as far as results go we haven't lost much ground at all.

Well history shows there isn't much movement getting into the 8 from this point of the season.

And 'haven't lost much ground' is a long way off progressing.

In the 8 after 9 rounds is an odd measure for that, given the varying difficulties clubs face with their fixtures.

There's plenty to be concerned about in relation to method, but as far as results go we haven't lost much ground at all.

This

This is why sometimes it is worth looking at the big picture. I agree we're one game behind expectations as well.

My main concern is more about our inability to stop teams kicking runs of 4+ goals in a row against us.
Once we learn to stop momentum, I think we will take the next step.

I’d like to see a couple of the older heads moved on but our hands have been a little tied this year.

The 3 older players that would be in most trouble would be Betts, Murphy and Casboult up forward and would/should be replaced if TDK, Fisher, Martin, C Curnow, McGovern, JSOS had been fit for the majority of this year (maybe even Kemp and Philp as well)
Having said that Betts has been better since the Port game

Of the younger players Parks has been given a fair go after earning his spot, same now with Stocker.
Dow got given a run from the start of the year and didn’t cement his spot, albeit unfortunate he got hurt as he looked good Q1 vs Essendon.
Owies, while not really young is inexperienced worked his way into the side.
Fogarty probably counts as young at 22 as well.

It’s not like we’re playing dad’s army every week.

I don’t agree with all of the MC decisions like SPS (sub Essendon played well, sub again then dropped) and playing others out of ideal positions but I don’t think anyone out of the side at the moment is demanding of selection either.
The consensus seems to be Honey is next younger player in line and hopefully he comes in this week as he has some pace now Cuningham has gone down.

I have concerns with our game style and whether that can hold up but the “play the kids” without any further depth thing is a little tired.

I get we’re all frustrated, but stick with it. Good times will come. I’m not 100% sold on Teague yet but I take a bit of heart from Melbourne last year to this year when I thought Goodwin was a dead man walking at 3-5 in 2020.

I hope so.
Our players simply do not have each other’s backs like the good sides.
The fact that some players are played out of position gives the opposition a head start.
Certain players get dropped and others have a lifeline every week.
See what happens the next few weeks but if we start dropping games against s**t teams then we are done.
Worst decision of all time although going early here Zak Williams looks fat unfit and can’t kick.
That’s the new list manager controlled by Liddell and Lloyd.
I do hope it works out but not confidant.
Thought the same about McGovern who has given nothing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think the performances so far this year warrant the level of general melts.

We've played some bloody good teams and have been in most of those games despite huge injuries on and off field. Who didn't love us dominating the doggies for a large part of that match! We couldn't have done that 3 years ago. There is a lot we can criticise, about players and coaches, but we also have to acknowledge how far the club has come.

In general terms without being too specific (if you want to poke holes, do so, but this isn't a PhD just a 3 point summary):
- we are now about 6th for scoring (without most of our forward line) but bottom 4 for scores against.
- we are now about 6th for moving the ball from one end to the other but bottom 4 for the ease with which the ball goes the other way (defensive structure breakdowns - agree with Arrow).
- we are about 2nd in the air in D50 but 16th on the deck (too many go in for the ball amongst other things - agree with Jab).
Even the Carlton unfriendly media believe these are fixable things.

We have 5 potential AAs on our list plus the youngsters. Walsh, Weiters, Harry, Saad, even Doc is coming good again post injury (850m gained against the Doggies) and of course Crippa. It won't take much and we will be flying.

I feel the disappointment too but I just think we need to get behind the players, especially the new guys. They need the confidence. With social media, they for sure know all the supporter criticisms plus have to put up with the media. I reckon our support is important. We are, after all, "supporters".

Williams hasn't had a good crack at it yet. He was a blue supporter as a kid. Now he's come to the club, he's being bagged. I get the "he's on big money and therefore big expectations" argument, but we paid what others were willing to pay for him and he chose us. I was so stoked when we got him. Let's get behind him and give him a bit of time. Fogarty has played well above initial expectations yet we have him in the crosshairs the last few rounds too. Eddie was being bagged weeks ago despite consistently good F50 pressure and blocking for H, then he goes bang and kicks 5 in a game.

I just think the 20 years of pain has made us too reactionary. We need to see the light and, in the words of William Wallace, we just need to "Hold!..... Hold!..... Hold!....."

The club as a professional organisation has come a long way too. We have every reason to believe that tough decisions will be made and that better oversight is in place than was years ago.

Things may get worse in the short term (injuries, new players, lack of cohesion, new defensive tactics being learnt on the fly) but the f'n bloody obvious trend is up.

Keep the faith fellow Baggers!

Saad A grader please even when in better form with Essendon was never an A-grader.
Good player never an elite half back flanker.
Walsh Harry Weitering are our 3 guns.
We can build around those guys for the future.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking purely at W-L record isn't going to tell us much.

The issue is, if we are fair dinkum about making finals then we should have knocked off at least one of those sides we lost to.

Right now, we can still make the 8. But we are in a very tough position to do so and we cannot afford to drop any game we're expected to win.

Last year, we s**t the bed against this mob. I've seen nothing to suggest we aren't still capable of doing that so we're going to have to enter this game with a ruthless attitude for 4 quarters.

It's because of the very reasonable expectation that after a very long rebuild, we should be performing better than we are.

I understand what you're saying but all things considered, I don't think we are all that far off it.
We are stillbuilding, it's not like we can say it's ended. We don't have a complete or balanced list.

How much better are we meant to be and why aren't we waiting until the season has finished before we judge whether there has been a reasonable improvement or not? What's the definition of reasonable improvement anyway?

Regardless of all that and I do understand people's frustration as I feel it too, there's just no excuse for some of the carry on we're seeing here. I'm not singling out people for questioning things, nor would I attack somebody for having an opinion that's different to mine, we all see things our own way, I may debate you but I won't make it personal.

Above all I can't tolerate people trolling our own players, I don't care who the player is, as long as he represents our club he is one of ours and is treated with respect as long as he's with us.

The results so far this year don't entitle anybody to behave poorly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive 5 game block coming up. Really need to not just do the job but make a bit of a statement this week. Both Sydney sides are gettable, so is West Coast in Melbourne and of course Adelaide. But none of that is possible without a very good performance this week.

Could get 4-1 and be back at 7-7. But just as likely to go 2-3 or 1-4 and really have the heat on at 5-9 or 4-10

Massive 5 game block coming up. Really need to not just do the job but make a bit of a statement this week. Both Sydney sides are gettable, so is West Coast in Melbourne and of course Adelaide. But none of that is possible without a very good performance this week.

Could get 4-1 and be back at 7-7. But just as likely to go 2-3 or 1-4 and really have the heat on at 5-9 or 4-10

If you accept the logic that we’ve improved because we’ve only lost by four goals to the better teams (logic that I think has gaping holes in it) then we should beat Sydney and the Weagles and thump Adelaide and Hawthorn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If you accept the logic that we’ve improved because we’ve only lost by four goals to the better teams (logic that I think has gaping holes in it) then we should beat Sydney and the Weagles and thump Adelaide and Hawthorn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah that's why this 5 week stretch is a real test of where we really are at. Could be back nearly level with 8 games to go. Not sure who we've got after that but its very important we end this with 6-8 or 7-7. Then from there sort out these regular 4 goal defeats to finish the year and see where it ends up.

After some help with buying tickets for Saturday. For Saturday, I want to get one adult and one kid entry - both members without a reserved seat.

I have the email from the club saying redeem tickets here, I click the link, enter one or both codes provided in the email and it says nothing available.

If I don't enter details, it says I can buy tickets.

1) am I doing something wrong 2) is the members non-reserved seat sold out?

Would appreciate help, first time getting a ticket in the new arrangement.

Also, just noticed I'm going at an average of a post every 1.5 years :)

After some help with buying tickets for Saturday. For Saturday, I want to get one adult and one kid entry - both members without a reserved seat.

I have the email from the club saying redeem tickets here, I click the link, enter one or both codes provided in the email and it says nothing available.

I think that the free ones go pretty quickly and that you will have to pay for a seat. It's happened to me with the members away game tickets, might be a similar situation for home games, not sure as i have reserved seats for home games.

With that post ratio are you sure that you don’t follow GC.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back