AFL Autopsy RND 10: Down to the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

That bump on Ridley, I don't see much difference between that and what Langford got a week for, actually I think the action was worse. Also, Ridley had to go off, and could miss a game or two.

Has the GWS player been reported?

That bump on Ridley, I don't see much difference between that and what Langford got a week for, actually I think the action was worse. Also, Ridley had to go off, and could miss a game or two.

Has the GWS player been reported?
Big difference is that Langford got him high, that was just a good bump

I am not sure I really understand what is going on here.

Was it not clearly a free kick that Ward hammed up to make sure he got? I would even go as far as saying that Ward attacked the ball primarily concerned with drawing the free kick.

But his intention is irrelevant isn't it? He's perfectly entitled to go hard and low and we're supposed to protect the ball player.

People are not approaching this sensibly and I'm afraid I have to agree with Dermie. Are people seriously suggesting that Ward spinning in the air, as McKernan's arm struck Ward in the head and his hip struck Ward in the shoulder, was contrived? Or is it that he made the most of it as he was about to his the ground?

I assume that is what Ward is referring to. He should be an Olympic gymnast if that spiral he did was fake.

It was a smart and courageous play. I'm sorry to say that McKernan is 30 and really should have been aware of the situation (and I err toward being a Smack apologist). It is not the same thing as Papley channeling Salvatore Schillaci as he was pushed by the invisible hand.

Way I see it, the ball was closer to McKernan, basically at his feet. As he bends over to pick it up, Ward simultaneously flew in head first, looking for head contact to look for a free.
If Papley is fined, then so should Ward.
Ward's action of going in head first to sucker a free is becoming more common, possibly due to the seemingly endless interpretation changes of the AFL. He should be fined as this needs to be stamped out by the AFL. It is dangerous and is undermining the AFL's attempt to protect players against concussion.

Was it not clearly a free kick that Ward hammed up to make sure he got? I would even go as far as saying that Ward attacked the ball primarily concerned with drawing the free kick.

But his intention is irrelevant isn't it? He's perfectly entitled to go hard and low and we're supposed to protect the ball player.

People are not approaching this sensibly and I'm afraid I have to agree with Dermie. Are people seriously suggesting that Ward spinning in the air, as McKernan's arm struck Ward in the head and his hip struck Ward in the shoulder, was contrived? Or is it that he made the most of it as he was about to his the ground?

I assume that is what Ward is referring to. He should be an Olympic gymnast if that spiral he did was fake.

It was a smart and courageous play. I'm sorry to say that McKernan, as someone who has been on an AFL list for 12 years, really should have been aware of the situation (and I err toward being a Smack apologist). It is not the same thing as Papley channeling Salvatore Schillaci as he was pushed by the invisible hand.

What I am less confident about is what Townsend was not awarded a free kick. I think the analysis applied to that scenario relates to why Shaw should not be cited but it was still high contact.
yeah the whole discussion is seriously bonkers. it's a free-kick every day of the week. he was smart about it and mckernan was not. spend time complaining about other stuff (including the minute we spent not rushing the ball through, directly leading to the free-kick)

The Townsend one didn't even occur to me as a free-kick until I read the posts on here. I suppose yeah it could be, but it didn't strike me as one at the time.

Frankly, right after the Townsend incident I was far more annoyed at having to again watch how awful the AFL rules are regarding injured players. The play should have been stopped, although essendon had the ball in a goal scoring position so perhaps an unofficial form of advantage was given, but then once was play was dead we had to watch Townsend struggle for minutes to get off the field through the stupid interchange gates.

Way I see it, the ball was closer to McKernan, basically at his feet. As he bends over to pick it up, Ward simultaneously flew in head first, looking for head contact to look for a free.
Ward's action of going in head first to sucker a free is becoming more common, possibly due to the seemingly endless interpretation changes of the AFL. He should be fined as this needs to be stamped out by the AFL. It is dangerous and is undermining the AFL's attempt to protect players against concussion.

Going hard and low at the ball needs to be stamped out of the game, does it?

Let's see that rationale applied when it's an Essendon player in the same situation.

Last edited:
He's lying to deflect.

Could be a great politician.

If there have been death threats, one would expect that:
  1. They would be reported to police;
  2. They would be investigated by AFL/clubs;
  3. They would be investigated by police;
  4. Persons making the threat be dealt with by AFL/clubs (ie, membership/attendance bans);
  5. Persons making the threat be dealt with by police/prosecutors as appropriate;
  6. AFL/clubs/AFLPA would make a formal statement on this type of supporter conduct.
Threats of this nature should be treated seriously.

It was a smart and courageous play. I'm sorry to say that McKernan, as someone who has been on an AFL list for 12 years, really should have been aware of the situation (and I err toward being a Smack apologist). It is not the same thing as Papley channeling Salvatore Schillaci as he was pushed by the invisible hand.

What I am less confident about is why Townsend was not awarded a free kick. I think the analysis applied to justify that non-decision relates to why Shaw should not be cited (and I agree with that) but it was still high contact. It would be good if someone could identify what rule applies to that contest.
He expected the high contact and played for it. That's where most of the controversy comes from. He admitted that himself. Pretty poor.

The problem I have with Ward's free is that it wasn't interpreted the same way for us when Townsend was taken high. Either they look at intent and call it play on or we take the rule literally and pay all high contact as a free. I wish the media actually compared the two instead of solely focusing on the Ward free.

He expected the high contact and played for it. That's where most of the controversy comes from. He admitted that himself. Pretty poor.

The problem I have with Ward's free is that it wasn't interpreted the same way for us when Townsend was taken high. Either they look at intent and call it play on or we take the rule literally and pay all high contact as a free. I wish the media actually compared the two instead of solely focusing on the Ward free.

Times have changed then because it used to be a thing that you go hard and low because you're a better chance of winning the ball and/or you'd be looked after by the ump.

We can blame the umpires every week but it goes to show on Friday night the difference between good teams and s**t teams. Shaw and Ward made the most of the situation when it mattered and we didn’t. McKernan has to stop giving away frees it’s getting ridiculous. Surely the coaching staff have spoken to him about it. It’s fundamental stuff. Stop using your hands to push your opponents in the back.
I think we will all agree on here we are now looking at 2021 as we realistically can’t match it for consistency with the top sides. Are we improving? No I think we are just treading water and we have for 3 years now. Would be good if John Worsfold looked like he cared. Gives absolutely nothing away in the press conferences. Where is the passion?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly.

Was a free kick to ward every day of the week. Whether he went in looking for the free or not who knows. He definitely put some mayo on it when he hit the ground. I reckon Smith would have done the same as Ward

This is not the reason we lost the game. Should never have been so close. Our intensity dropped off and we just could not get the ball forward.

It is the little things that are losing games. The missed handballs, overcooked kicks, lack of run through the middle, defensive pressure, that Tippa pass to McKernan etc.

Anyway, was a much better game than the Lions. A game we should probably never have lost. Hopefully it burns deep. We need to be more ruthless when we get a 4-5 goal lead.

One time, when I was a kid, I ran after my brother in my childhood homes hallway. My brother turned sharply around a corner and I clipped the wall and spun into the other wall sending me thru the plasterboard. Dad lost his mind at me and tore a strip off.

After reading some posts on here I’m confident now knowing it was the wall’s fault and not mine and have subsequently texted my father for an apology.

"Incidents assessed:
Contact between GWS GIANTS’ Heath Shaw and Essendon’s Jacob Townsend from the first quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The ball is loose in Essendon’s forward line. Shaw and Townsend approach the ball from opposing directions. In the process of taking possession of the ball, Shaw makes high contact to Townsend. It was the view of the MRO that Shaw was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken."

"Incidents assessed:
Contact between GWS GIANTS’ Heath Shaw and Essendon’s Jacob Townsend from the first quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The ball is loose in Essendon’s forward line. Shaw and Townsend approach the ball from opposing directions. In the process of taking possession of the ball, Shaw makes high contact to Townsend. It was the view of the MRO that Shaw was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken."
Of course

Put him in a red & black jumper and he would've got 8 weeks.

Last edited:

"Incidents assessed:
McKernan should’ve got four weeks. Very lucky.

Not at all, they were bad for sure, but we're our own worst enemy.
The umpiring has been unusually s**t against us a lot this year. While we have been crap and should be better, with all the injuries I'd like to feel we're playing on an even field.

My point, people are allowed to blame and complain about the umpiring. It doesn't mean we don't know our own team are as much to blame.

"Incidents assessed:
Fat Andy must be back working in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back