AFL Autopsy RND 10: Down to the Giants

SherbertLemon

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Are people honestly defending that ward free kick? Both players went low and McKernan was barely moving. Even if he wasn’t trying to win a nod for best supporting actor in a drama, the contact was initiated by Ward ploughing into Shaun.

If that’s how it works we should train our mids to headbutt people in the groin

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

"Incidents assessed:
Contact between GWS GIANTS’ Heath Shaw and Essendon’s Jacob Townsend from the first quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The ball is loose in Essendon’s forward line. Shaw and Townsend approach the ball from opposing directions. In the process of taking possession of the ball, Shaw makes high contact to Townsend. It was the view of the MRO that Shaw was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken."
Watching the replay on that Shaw hit on Townsend and that is the correct decision. Just 2 players going for the ball. Shaw is a solid unit and used his body to perfection bracing for contact. Taranto should be suspended for his Ridley hit. No intention of getting the ball himself and went in hip/arse first at someone with their head over it. Pretty much in between Ben Long and Kyle Langford in terms of how dangerous it was. And those are the actions we are supposedly trying to eliminate.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon

"Incidents assessed:
Contact between GWS GIANTS’ Heath Shaw and Essendon’s Jacob Townsend from the first quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The ball is loose in Essendon’s forward line. Shaw and Townsend approach the ball from opposing directions. In the process of taking possession of the ball, Shaw makes high contact to Townsend. It was the view of the MRO that Shaw was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken."
i refuse to believe anyone is dumb enough to think that was a suspendable offence

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Screenshot_20200809-112449_Kayo Sports.jpg
Screenshot_20200809-112518_Kayo Sports.jpg

i refuse to believe anyone is dumb enough to think that was a suspendable offence
I posted that in the context of a McKernan/Ward discussion that resulted in a free kick.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
The umpiring has been unusually sh*t against us a lot this year. While we have been crap and should be better, with all the injuries I'd like to feel we're playing on an even field.

My point, people are allowed to blame and complain about the umpiring. It doesn't mean we don't know our own team are as much to blame.
If people see both sides of the coin it's fine, but quite often posts read like the umpires being the sole reason we lost, and a lot of posts were like that the other night.

Don't get me wrong, I was as pissed as anyone at the umps the other night but I saw plenty of stupidity and ineptness in the red and black to the point I couldn't blame the umps and to win would've papered over too many cracks.

astrowizzle

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Nerrigundah
AFL Club
Essendon
Was a free kick to ward every day of the week. Whether he went in looking for the free or not who knows. He definitely put some mayo on it when he hit the ground. I reckon Smith would have done the same as Ward

This is not the reason we lost the game. Should never have been so close. Our intensity dropped off and we just could not get the ball forward.

It is the little things that are losing games. The missed handballs, overcooked kicks, lack of run through the middle, defensive pressure, that Tippa pass to McKernan etc.

Anyway, was a much better game than the Lions. A game we should probably never have lost. Hopefully it burns deep. We need to be more ruthless when we get a 4-5 goal lead.
A few of those gws special frees not paid every time we took our out of our defensive area and we might have scored enough to win

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
If people see both sides of the coin it's fine, but quite often posts read like the umpires being the sole reason we lost, and a lot of posts were like that the other night.

Don't get me wrong, I was as pissed as anyone at the umps the other night but I saw plenty of stupidity and ineptness in the red and black to the point I couldn't blame the umps and to win would've papered over too many cracks.
Usually I get more annoyed at my own team. But this year I feel like we’ve copped a lot of bad umpiring that has had a say in events against us. I get annoyed about things that feel unfair more than I get annoyed at my team not being good enough. Fairness is a big thing for me (and I assume others) and so it becomes the bigger target for complaint, if that makes sense.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Ridley didnt even get a free kick. Its literally the same action that Ben Long and Kyle Langford got suspended for. Going in with your hip/arse when someone is bent over picking up the ball.
he got a free. took them a few seconds to call it...though could have been waiting to play advantage.

Very surprised Taranto didn't get looked at. Mumford too for the first hit on Merrett.
Even just to be cleared/explained.
MRO - nothing to see here.....have yourself a fine Zerk though (Anyone know what this was for?)

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
he got a free. took them a few seconds to call it...though could have been waiting to play advantage.

Very surprised Taranto didn't get looked at. Mumford too for the first hit on Merrett.
Even just to be cleared/explained.
MRO - nothing to see here.....have yourself a fine Zerk though (Anyone know what this was for?)
No it was Smith that got a free about 5 seconds later. Ridley was play on.

Ridley didnt even get a free kick. Its literally the same action that Ben Long and Kyle Langford got suspended for. Going in with your hip/arse when someone is bent over picking up the ball.
Because it didn't get him high. Like it's pretty simple, you choose to bump, you have to get the them the side otherwise it's a free kick and maybe suspension. He did, so why does he have to be punished?

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Umpiring killed us but, not as much as we killed ourselves.
How many times do we get to the 40 to 44 range with a great lead and lose, check it out. We don't need new coaches [yes we do] we need a psychological
overhaul.

AFLisnotNRL

Rookie
Sep 6, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep that plus demanding to be played forward - give him what he wants/needs and send him home. Has been great for us but close to last straw
no pay out, no salary, no redundancy. He wants to go home, go home but no free meal ticket. The spud signed up for a long term deal. Maybe some personal things going in in regards to his family but life is tough sometimes, hope it works out for him but being a professional sportsman is a business

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Umpiring killed us but, not as much as we killed ourselves.
How many times do we get to the 40 to 44 range with a great lead and lose, check it out. We don't need new coaches [yes we do] we need a psychological
overhaul.
Yeah that's become a real problem.

We gave away a 28 point lead vs Fremantle in the last to nearly lose the game.
We gave away a 28 point lead vs Collingwood in about 10 minutes in the last to nearly lose the game.
We gave away a 20 point lead vs Sydney multiple times to nearly lose the game.
We gave away a 29 point lead vs GWS to lose the game.
We gave away a 12 point lead in the last vs Carlton to lose the game.
We destroyed the dominance we had vs Adelaide in the first half to almost throw the game away. We had a 19 point lead in the 3rd.

The concerning thing is that I listed 4 of our 5 wins and both of our narrow losses, even before we had all of these supposed injuries. I don't believe injuries are the only reason we're performing the way we are. The "comfortable" win vs North was only by 14 points and it was close all day. Never led more than 20 points and we won the last quarter by 2 points.

If I'm an opposition coach, I'd just tell my players that they'll never be out of the game no matter how much they're trailing by.

Last edited:

Jesse Custer

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 28, 2008
Melwood
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree. You can complain about umpires all you want, but the fact is we are allowing ourselves to get into these positions. The club has a psychological problem atm. That's the first thing they need to address. The rest including our forward line will fall into place.

astrowizzle

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Nerrigundah
AFL Club
Essendon
Umpires may not be the only reason but they sure as s**t try to bring opposition teams back into the game. When we dominate we are lucky to break even with free kicks. When the umps bring the other teams in we get smashed in free kicks.
It's not necessarily the ones they pay the opposition that hurt us it's the ones they refused to pay for us.
I'm over it

Sockeye

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Because it didn't get him high. Like it's pretty simple, you choose to bump, you have to get the them the side otherwise it's a free kick and maybe suspension. He did, so why does he have to be punished?

Have another look. Definetely got him above the shoulders with some contact.

Back