AFL Toast RND 10: Dreamtime Winning

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at... you're allowed to spoil, you're allowed to play the ball, and incidental contact happens.

With the way the MRO has been adjudicating lately there might be some trouble, but I don't think it's even a free kick otherwise.

That said, you'd hope Drapes would have the hands to stick a mark like that in future.

There was no spoil though, just a straight whack to the head is all I see there.

I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at... you're allowed to spoil, you're allowed to play the ball, and incidental contact happens.

With the way the MRO has been adjudicating lately there might be some trouble, but I don't think it's even a free kick otherwise.

That said, you'd hope Drapes would have the hands to stick a mark like that in future.
you’re looking at high contact there Lore - it’s a free kick, you can’t just smack campaigner’s in the head with reckless abandon during a marking contest and expect the umpire to wave his hands and call play on

Not sure it is. Looks like Draper fumbles the mark, ball slips from his hands and Neanderthal Nank spoils air straight into Draper, which makes it understandable the call was play on.

But then again, Tigers show creativity in their grubbiness...
Smacking the ball away from a marking contest is still a spoil, regardless of Draper's skill execution

Also I'm pretty sure high contact is adjudicated differently in a marking contest, given the number of people jumping on their opponents' heads and stuff that never get pinged. There are countless times every week with hands and faces colliding that are regarded as either negligible contact (below the threshold for a report) or a footballing action.

Probably one day the speccy will be banned for concussion reasons but as it currently stands I don't think it's inconsistent to let that go. It would have to fall under an 'unreasonable attempt' before it would become problematic.

Smacking the ball away from a marking contest is still a spoil, regardless of Draper's skill execution

Also I'm pretty sure high contact is adjudicated differently in a marking contest, given the number of people jumping on their opponents' heads and stuff that never get pinged. There are countless times every week with hands and faces colliding that are regarded as either negligible contact (below the threshold for a report) or a footballing action.

Probably one day the speccy will be banned for concussion reasons but as it currently stands I don't think it's inconsistent to let that go. It would have to fall under an 'unreasonable attempt' before it would become problematic.

Def agree, it wasn't a free. Just enjoy finding a reason to use "Neanderthal Nank".

First time in 6 years I've been able to go to the match as I'm usually interstate. Amazing. Pre game entertainment was fantastic. The game was a great contest although wasn't especially skilful - so many turnovers. Was great to see the team persevere and get a win. Lost my voice. Couldn't sleep until 3am.

Up the Planes!!!

Well done to your players and coaching staff.
no whining about injuries, just rolled up their sleeves, went to work and got the job done.
unlike those at Geelong who did nothing but piss and moan and offer excuses.
respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nankervis is a genuine grub with cheap shots and clumsiness made famous by big Shane Mumford

I work with a young fella, big tigers fan.. he doesn't watch any other games other than tigers games.. and thus reached his 10th birthday and had never seen us win. That makes this win special.

Building respect within the group is about making moments matter, games matter, kicks matter.. efforts matter. I think it is fitting that it was Merretts lunging, diving, 150% effort to try to slow down Martin that started a chain that resulted in us winning the game. If Merrett doesn't take complete and utter ownership of that moment.. Martin strolls away and probably slots the 'sealer' and leaves us lamenting our luck for yet another year. If Merrett didn't make up the ground, you wouldn't judge.. he had no right to make the ground, against a contested beast.. in the last minute of a game where he was 'best on'.. that is when personal integrity, group accountability and sheer heart come forward. That is the greatness that defines careers.. Merrett made himself accountable and it paid off.

So yeah.. its a win and we are still a long way from being a top team.. so we can't read too much into it.. but watching our captain leave it all out there gives me hope. Watching ridley actually be in the right spot and then give the correct release to redman who moved it decisively forward and we have a structure ahead of the ball.. seeing Stringer actually hit the top of the goal square instead of go for the freak goal.. point to a team of discipline. A team that understands it is about the collective.

So yep.. this one is special. Very special.

arnold schwarzenegger smiling GIF

Watching back through the highlights and we directly handed them 4 goals through poor disposal in our backline (Redman to Walla miss, Caldwell with the nothing snap, McGrath handball miss, McGrath kick miss). That's almost half their goal total that can be erased if we can find a way to take that next step in our disposal and decision making (noting we'll never play 100% mistake free footy). SO between us, and the paid mark that hit the deck that's 5 of their 10 goals that really shouldn't have occurred. We do make things hard for ourselves.

We also improved to 5-1 in Dreamtime games where we've had a Davey on the field :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back