AFL Toast RND 10: Dreamtime Winning

Remove this Banner Ad

Nankervis is a genuine grub with cheap shots and clumsiness made famous by big Shane Mumford
Would like a few grubs in our lineup.

I might give Sen a call this week just to give it too that smug prick Trout
Very tempted to go and give the campaigner a serve at the game. Didn’t, probably should’ve. Deserves every bit of mocking coming his way. Embarrassing with how he has let Essendon live in his mind.

Very tempted to go and give the campaigner a serve at the game. Didn’t, probably should’ve. Deserves every bit of mocking coming his way. Embarrassing with how he has let Essendon live in his mind.
I didn't realise he's an actual person and not some made up lunatic like Mario from East Doncaster

I work with a young fella, big tigers fan.. he doesn't watch any other games other than tigers games.. and thus reached his 10th birthday and had never seen us win. That makes this win special.

Building respect within the group is about making moments matter, games matter, kicks matter.. efforts matter. I think it is fitting that it was Merretts lunging, diving, 150% effort to try to slow down Martin that started a chain that resulted in us winning the game. If Merrett doesn't take complete and utter ownership of that moment.. Martin strolls away and probably slots the 'sealer' and leaves us lamenting our luck for yet another year. If Merrett didn't make up the ground, you wouldn't judge.. he had no right to make the ground, against a contested beast.. in the last minute of a game where he was 'best on'.. that is when personal integrity, group accountability and sheer heart come forward. That is the greatness that defines careers.. Merrett made himself accountable and it paid off.

So yeah.. its a win and we are still a long way from being a top team.. so we can't read too much into it.. but watching our captain leave it all out there gives me hope. Watching ridley actually be in the right spot and then give the correct release to redman who moved it decisively forward and we have a structure ahead of the ball.. seeing Stringer actually hit the top of the goal square instead of go for the freak goal.. point to a team of discipline. A team that understands it is about the collective.

So yep.. this one is special. Very special.
Yeah, to actually win a close one reinforces all those 1%ers. There were many moments in the last. 2 crucial marks by Heppell too

Yeah, to actually win a close one reinforces all those 1%ers. There were many moments in the last. 2 crucial marks by Heppell too

I loved that Hep took that mark going back with the ball late after dropping two almost identical attempts earlier in the game that indirectly led to two goals against.

Didn't faze him, kept on going and got the job done when it mattered

Both times we would have taken him back though.
if he had’ve realised this time last year that richmond were going to be so s**t and in for a rough few years, we would’ve welcomed him with open arms

Great win. But let's be honest, it was sloppy. We turned it over a lot. A good side would have beaten us well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this was the best selected side we've had in a long time.

Much prefer pure small forwards playing over the likes of extra mids in those positions. We took 154 marks, we average 6.6 less marks than our opponents... we had 54 more than Richmond. Despite having probably the shortest side we've had all year. I think it was the smalls holding their positions deeper and resetting quicker, allowing the mids and defenders more space to move into. We also had 16 tackles inside 50 which is 6 more than we average and 3.3 more than the best average in the AFL.

It certainly confirmed to me that we are a more functional team carrying 2 less mids than usual.

This is a cracking read. Enjoy
great read.

Have watched the last 5 minutes a few times and it is still hard to believe we got the win, so many things had to go right.

The big takeaway from this win for me is you definitely need some luck but without desperate efforts you are never a chance. Those 1% ers everyone talks about. I haven't seen an Essendon side play like we did in the last 5 minutes for a long, long time.

You make your own luck sometimes and this is exactly how the Pies got their belief that they can get over the line against all odds. It is no fluke.

Maybe in time we might look back and see this game as a watershed moment for our club.

Watched the replay today. My 8 year old son loves the Bombers, and my 6 year old daughter gets on board when we get exciting.

I managed to convince them that the same teams were playing again. They were even more excited today because they were convinced we couldn't come back twice in a row. I may uave added to the theatrics by talking down our chances.

They were so over the moon, especially since it was the exact same scores.

I think I'll bust out some old dvds and come up with some reason as to why the uniforms and camera work are so different.

Watched the replay today. My 8 year old son loves the Bombers, and my 6 year old daughter gets on board when we get exciting.

I managed to convince them that the same teams were playing again. They were even more excited today because they were convinced we couldn't come back twice in a row. I may uave added to the theatrics by talking down our chances.

They were so over the moon, especially since it was the exact same scores.

I think I'll bust out some old dvds and come up with some reason as to why the uniforms and camera work are so different.
They will love the last quarter of the '84 Grand Final then. Those 2 goals that "Langford" kicks in the last quarter and Durham's Norm Smith performance will be memorable. Redman goes ok in the ruck too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back