Preview Rnd 11 - Carlton v Sydney Sunday May 30th 3.20PM @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd never have gov ahead of JSOS. I also would have no issue playing 4 talls if they have some speed, will chase and earn their place either through afl or vfl form.

Bringing in casboult is my issue. He's done absolutely nothing (as close to literally nothing as possible) this year and the only fair reason he got a game was ruck support.

He's now coming in as a pure forward, or as a backup, backup ruck. From all reports (and 2 games I've seen on TV) honey has done much more to earn a shot than Levi has this year.

It would be understandable if we needed a tall for structure. We don't.

As I suspected, your 2nd paragraph is the real issue, like most around here, not the fact we have brought in an extra tall.

We need to stop looking at the stat sheet when it comes to certain players, especially when looking at structures

Levi should not have been picked at the start of the year, OMAC should have got the gig, but Levi was our only real option as a chopout ruckman and without him, H would not have had the output he has produced.

I suspect Levi will also float back today and or our ruckman, Pitto/Levi/TDK, will play a kick behind the ball while the other takes round the ground contests.

This leaves us with H, TDK/Levi and JSos forward, which I prefer, especially with the Teague gameplan

Also, not all of those talls will be on the ground for much of the game, but it still allows for a better structure

If we lose today, it will be due to losing the battle between the arcs, rather than playing the extra tall

As for Honey, he is real close, but like most xfactor players, needs to keep his head in the game for longer

BlueBlood15

Team Captain
May 25, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Massive two weeks coming up. Both very winnable
Show up and play hard nosed footy for 4 quarters and we are every chance
Have beaten this mob the last two times but they’re a better outfit this year
A big day for our midfield. Win the battle and H will be hard to stop with some quick deliver inside 50

but all those 35 are home isolating so your point isn't that relevant. the 35 is like over a 10 day period. let's settle down a little and try and be positive.
You're talking to the wrong dude.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
If we lose today, it will be due to losing the battle between the arcs, rather than playing the extra tall
I agree but also think we may lose the battle between the arcs because we have less available rotations there. A Casboult over a Murphy/ Honey/ runner is just one less player capable of supporting our mids, especially if one or more are struggling on the day.

I understand the structure but to me it's somewhat arrogant. We're saying to the swans our mids can handle the disadvantage because we're that much better than you in there. I don't think we've really won the midfield battle convincingly in any full 4 quarter game this season, which is then a tad concerning that it appears we've gone and selected this team which seems to rely on individuals in the midfield being dominant. Idk, we'll see. Just my take on the way it could pan out.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree but also think we may lose the battle between the arcs because we have less available rotations there. A Casboult over a Murphy/ Honey/ runner is just one less player capable of supporting our mids, especially if one or more are struggling on the day.

I understand the structure but to me it's somewhat arrogant. We're saying to the swans our mids can handle the disadvantage because we're that much better than you in there. I don't think we've really won the midfield battle convincingly in any full 4 quarter game this season, which is then a tad concerning that it appears we've gone and selected this team which seems to rely on individuals in the midfield being dominant. Idk, we'll see. Just my take on the way it could pan out.

If Levi is in for Plow, Martin for Murphy, it doesn't effect our rotations as it's similar to last week

Would like to see Doch stay on the wing, Stocker stay in the middle and Ed to lock down on Parker. Love the inclusion of Jack Martin, but Gibbons and Cottrell need to lift a bit. Have a good feeling about this game, Blues by 23 points.
Gibbo hasn't kicked goals easily like he did early on. Like to see him bag a couple today.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
We are further along than the Bombers. I think they are where we were halfway through 2016. The kids will tire and the senior guys in form start to feel the season a bit more.

I don’t think they’ll experience the lows of our 2018 but it’s going to be a few years before Cox, Perkins, Jones etc. can be consistent A graders, if they even get there

We only need to focus on our own backyard anyhow. We have improved year on year since our low and I expect that to continue. It won’t always be linear and as much as I’d love to win today it won’t have any major bearing on our long term prospects. Noticeable changes in the game plan and structure will.
Not interested in *. And this ain't a thread about them.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I just never get this need to win, must win - are people suggesting the players run onto the ground with the coach's words ringing in their ears - "remember fellas, no desperate need to win this week"...........surely we try our best to win every week, trying harder and lifting a gear cause we need to says something pretty bad about our efforts in general..........

Lets just say the 4 points are crucial for our ladder position, therefore a must win.

This team has failed to click when anything is on the line, which is a concern but needs remedying if we’re to contend at some stage.

Surely a forward line of Casbolt, JOS, McKay and TDK is a joke.

Major issues include:
- defensive pressure, can't apply any
- small ground so instead of Harry being one out he could be flying against 3 talls
- No team in the AFL would play 4 stalls, for obvious reasons, lacks run, lacks flexibility.

This selection defies all belief.
So Eddie, Fog and OE's are what? Ham sandwiches?

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Cas is alright when he gets on his bike and clears out up and down the ground -- this year he has only been able to loiter around the F50 and get in people way - just hope he can do some miles other wise playing Harry out of the square doesn't work .. he and TDK must be on there bike whether opposition defense pays them respect is a different question

BlueLocke

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Martin was always taking one of Murphy or Gibbon’s spots in the team. Fisher will take over from Gibbons when fit (unless Fogarty is injured/out of form).

We’re a better team for it and it creates healthy competition for spots up forward.

I wish we had the same problem with our midfield...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back