Preview Rnd 11 - Carlton v Sydney Sunday May 30th 3.20PM @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Very surprised with casboult in for plowman .. I really don't like pitto king cas in same side .. but hey I'm a supporter not a selector ..
What percentage of the game do you think all three will be on the field at the same time?

I reckon....Pitto off 20 percent (TDKruck then), Cas off 20, TDk off 25.

So maybe a 1/3 of the game? Of which mckay will be off some of so they will be covering him.

When they go with Pitto, TDk or Cas and Harry it ends up nearly half the game we have only one ‘key’ forward. And they get worn out competing.

It hurts Mckay (too easily double teamed) and SOs (forced to play on second best defender.

Not saying I agree with their logic....but I get it.

TD2010

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Cottrell has held his spot well. Seems to fly under the radar a bit.

Would love a massive game from Setterfield - still think he is building.
Agree re Setterfield, people forget he's only played 46 games. What he does he does with relative ease as classy players do.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Expecting some big TOG minutes for our midfielders with that line-up - hopefully Setterfield can use the continuity to show his worth as an inside-mid. Play him on the defensive side of the stoppage and watch him flourish.

Hopefully Doc can still move up to the wing even with Plowman out of the starting back six.
I would expect Doc to play wing after his recent great form there, with Williams and Saad providing drive from half back.

Maybe Stocker to drop back and get the job on Papley.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
What percentage of the game do you think all three will be on the field at the same time?

So maybe a 1/3 of the game? Of which mckay will be off some of so they will be covering him.

When they go with Pitto, TDk or Cas and Harry it ends up nearly half the game we have only one ‘key’ forward. And they get worn out competing.

It hurts Mckay (too easily double teamed) and SOs (forced to play on second best defender.

Why this strategy specifically against swans though?

Is it because it creates an advantage in match ups against swans side or does it boost our game style when playing on a smaller ground?

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton

It’s a long straw , but I get your logic , should the heavens open though ? we’re truly stuffed, playing 4 blokes 2 meters + and 2 of them with little footy IQ and one skinny fellow that can be bundled over , on a heavy ground is a recipe for defeat.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Is it because it creates an advantage in match ups against swans side or does it boost our game style when playing on a smaller ground?

Effectively the only time all 3 have been fit + JSOS/Gov

Suits Teagues gameplan

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

Yes I see there logic -- with all our forwards missing even the guy we took as cover in pre season -- we also screaming for that third tall defender to cover Jones weiters- pity kemp no VFL this week

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

I don’t think it’s about the Swans. It’s about recently Harry has been a little down, a little injured, and they can’t put all their eggs in that basket. The forwards are getting outmarked too easily which is sling shotting our opposition out of our forward line too easily.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t think it’s about the Swans. It’s about recently Harry has been a little down, a little injured, and they can’t put all their eggs in that basket. The forwards are getting outmarked too easily which is sling shotting our opposition out of our forward line too easily.

Agree but the other issue we have had forward, is that apart from Betts, we have not had very little from other small forwards like Forgarty, Gibbons or even Owies, win ground balls. None of them have been able to create ground ball goals off packs or with hard defensive run, which turns into goals. JSoS has done better and he is a 3rd tall.

Canyouhearthedrums

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

This would make sense if we were a team able to deliver inside 50 with a degree of thought and precision. That ain’t us however.

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree re Setterfield, people forget he's only played 46 games. What he does he does with relative ease as classy players do.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I would hope both these guys can still improve an awful lot...
Cottrell seems a bit under done... he is fit for a full term run,thats a tick however he has not seen an abundance of disposals etc..Newnes would easily be better than him overall,however long term he may have the potential,needs bit more bulk ,stronger,more impact,more involvement etc..
Setterfield had been noted as being on a downhill trend since late 2020....now improving ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back