Preview Rnd 11: Collingwood vs Geelong Sat May 29 1:45pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which 3 are going to be led by forwards - tackles inside forward 50 should be, but the others aren't forward role specific

Come on now surely surely you jest. How is fwd half pressure a stat that isn't skewed massively towards forwards. They are the only players that spend close to 100 percent of their time forward. Every other player theoretically spends half their time or less in the forward half.

Then we have turnovers resulting in scores. The first thing we know categorically about that stat is the closer the turnover happens to the goals the more likely it will generate a score. Hence why there should be a massive bias towards forwards in that category.

WTF!... Jed Bews 17th for Pressure Acts
Behind Soft Shaun Higgins and Slow Sam Menegola
I thought his job was to negate his opponent and to apply defensive pressure

Come on now surely surely you jest. How is fwd half pressure a stat that isn't skewed massively towards forwards. They are the only players that spend close to 100 percent of their time forward. Every other player theoretically spends half their time or less in the forward half.

Then we have turnovers resulting in scores. The first thing we know categorically about that stat is the closer the turnover happens to the goals the more likely it will generate a score. Hence why there should be a massive bias towards forwards in that category.

Would you be surprised to know that there's more midfielders in the top 10 at the club for defensive half pressure than there is defenders in that category - unfortunately I can't find the figures for forward half pressure but I wouldn't be surprised to see midfielders feature prominently in that also

Don't forget that as soon as the ball is bounded, if it goes forward 1m that any pressure applied at that time would count as forward half pressure. And the other thing to consider is that we really don't have many forwards that actually spend their time on ground purely in the forward half

As for the turnovers - weren't we highly ranked for scores from turnovers in our defensive half? I'm also looking at how often we set up the wall outside of our forward 50 & it's defenders getting the intercept before getting the ball back into dangerous positions

As for an earlier post regarding where Dahlhaus gets the bulk of his disposals, more often than not his heat maps show that he tends to do the bulk of his work outside of the forward 50 between that high half forward & wing area - there's been the odd match this year where he hasn't had a disposal within 35/40m of goal, so his a pressure forward that doesn't spend as much time inside the forward 50 as many would think he does or that a forward should do

Would you be surprised to know that there's more midfielders in the top 10 at the club for defensive half pressure than there is defenders in that category - unfortunately I can't find the figures for forward half pressure but I wouldn't be surprised to see midfielders feature prominently in that also

Don't forget that as soon as the ball is bounded, if it goes forward 1m that any pressure applied at that time would count as forward half pressure. And the other thing to consider is that we really don't have many forwards that actually spend their time on ground purely in the forward half

As for the turnovers - weren't we highly ranked for scores from turnovers in our defensive half? I'm also looking at how often we set up the wall outside of our forward 50 & it's defenders getting the intercept before getting the ball back into dangerous positions

As for an earlier post regarding where Dahlhaus gets the bulk of his disposals, more of than not his heat maps show that he tends to do the bulk of his work outside of the forward 50 between that high half forward & wing area - there's been the odd match this year where he hasn't had a disposal within 35/40m of goal, so his a pressure forward that doesn't spend as much time inside the forward 50 as many would think he does or that a forward should do

I think I could explain most of the things you refer to whilst still showing you how those stats would be skewed towards forwards but ultimately I don't think either of us consider this issue that important.

So to that end what are your thoughts on this? I think against the Pies whoever has Darcy Moore should take him as deep as possible to prevent his intercept marking being as damaging as it can be. I think Cameron or Hawkins should play deep if Moore goes to them because I think he is far less damaging taking intercept marks close to the defensive goal. There is a massive difference between taking a defensive mark at D 50 or higher and exploding away like he does and having to do it from 15m out from goal. Anyway that's my basic coaching move of the week and Go Catters!!

I think I could explain most of the things you refer to whilst still showing you how those stats would be skewed towards forwards but ultimately I don't think either of us consider this issue that important.

So to that end what are your thoughts on this? I think against the Pies whoever has Darcy Moore should take him as deep as possible to prevent his intercept marking being as damaging as it can be. I think Cameron or Hawkins should play deep if Moore goes to them because I think he is far less damaging taking intercept marks close to the defensive goal. There is a massive difference between taking a defensive mark at D 50 or higher and exploding away like he does and having to do it from 15m out from goal. Anyway that's my basic coaching move of the week and Go Catters!!

Gotta keep Moore away from the action

Wondering if that's also come into consideration with Fort added to the emergency list - we see Ratugolea often go forward after his centre bounce ruck work, but at this stage he's not really been damaging when forward. So maybe there's some concern that when he goes forward his opponent won't necessarily respect him & will instead be happy to drop off to help cover Hawkins/Cameron/Rohan

If we go with either Fort or Stanley instead, they can give greater focus to the ruck side of things and competing against Grundy, and they are both capable of going forward and hitting the scoreboard

Name the last small forward who kicked a bag against us.
Papley tried late last year, but he was opposed to O'Connor for the vast majority of the match and pretty sure most were calling for Bews to be moved into him

Gotta keep Moore away from the action

Wondering if that's also come into consideration with Fort added to the emergency list - we see Ratugolea often go forward after his centre bounce ruck work, but at this stage he's not really been damaging when forward. So maybe there's some concern that when he goes forward his opponent won't necessarily respect him & will instead be happy to drop off to help cover Hawkins/Cameron/Rohan

If we go with either Fort or Stanley instead, they can give greater focus to the ruck side of things and competing against Grundy, and they are both capable of going forward and hitting the scoreboard
Yeah potentially. Although if they choose to play Moore on someone other than Hawkins or Cameron good luck to them. They simply don't have enough quality key defenders to allow them the luxury to play him on the third or fourth tall. I reckon if they did that we would back ourselves to make them pay dearly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#2 for FWD Half pressure
- #6 for pressure
- #3 for F50 tackles
- #6 for creating a turnover that results in score
- #2 for IN50 kick retention

three of those stats are only going to be lead by fowards. The fourth one is heavily weighted to fowards. Only number 2 is fairly applicable to everyone. And he is 6th in this stat that three years ago he was in the top 2.

pressure is the only reason he is in the team. There is no other player in the team solely for pressure. Parfitt, Rohan, close and atkins are also there for pressure but they have other tricks as well. Dalhaus no longer does. Dalhaus is the only one in our side that is solely about pressure and he is 2nd out of half a dozen players in the foward line and only 6th in the side. thats terrible.

Holding up my man big Joshie J, how bout a like for like!!!

Which 3 are going to be led by forwards - tackles inside forward 50 should be, but the others aren't forward role specific
Foward half pressure. Mids spend half their time in the back half whereas fowards spend probably 80-90 percent of their time in the foward half.

inside fifth kick retention is the other one that is only going to be lead by fowards.

creating a turnover the results in a score is also highly weighted to fowards as most turnovers that create a score occur in the foward half.

we basically have two pressure fowards at the moment. Close and dalhaus. And dalhaus is last of tge two. It’s not a stat to crow about.

One thing I'm happy about with today's game is that we are a more consistent side that doesn't play as much on emotion. The pies have been really inconsistent over the last few years and I feel like the crowd is very important for them - less so for us. We absolutely belted them last time, and in the cold silence of the MCG I think that will overcome them somewhat.

Game day Beeeeches......

Lets go!!

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back