AFL Toast RND 11: Win Against the Weagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Very quiet thread.

I think it’s the sound of collective satisfaction for a club who just got the job done :)

You wake up tranquil AF…then you go slap on the replay with the heater on while it’s pissing rain outside (in Melbourne). Probably not as exciting as last week but a wins a win.

Go Dons.

Okay it was not an electric game to watch but personally I think in the media reports so far they have undersold how well WC set up their defense. It was one of the better man on man efforts in recent times. Made it very difficult to play fast footy as when we tried to play fast we had to kick to contests and contested marking down the line is not our one wood. We had to work pretty hard to find space forward this week. The problem for them is one on one footy does lead to harder transition to attack as you are not set up to intercept as well or run the footy so while containing us it was a lot harder for them to go the other way.

I thought we responded well. We did not just try running into a brick wall over and over. We showed patience and played what was in front of us and kept grinding them down rather than doing s**t that would not work over and over again. The game was a bit of an unattractive scrap but sometimes that is what you get. It really was not any more ugly than Melbourne and Fremantle or the Geelong and GWS games. Our blokes worked pretty hard to find what limited space there was.

Going forward it was not really a form game as such but just one of those games that you have to find a different way to get things done. It ticked a box for us as we have not been a side that gets things done like that for 20 years.

Okay it was not an electric game to watch but personally I think in the media reports so far they have undersold how well WC set up their defense. It was one of the better man on man efforts in recent times. Made it very difficult to play fast footy as when we tried to play fast we had to kick to contests and contested marking down the line is not our one wood. We had to work pretty hard to find space forward this week. The problem for them is one on one footy does lead to harder transition to attack as you are not set up to intercept as well or run the footy so while containing us it was a lot harder for them to go the other way.

I thought we responded well. We did not just try running into a brick wall over and over. We showed patience and played what was in front of us and kept grinding them down rather than doing s**t that would not work over and over again. The game was a bit of an unattractive scrap but sometimes that is what you get. It really was not any more ugly than Melbourne and Fremantle or the Geelong and GWS games. Our blokes worked pretty hard to find what limited space there was.

Going forward it was not really a form game as such but just one of those games that you have to find a different way to get things done. It ticked a box for us as we have not been a side that gets things done like that for 20 years.
They also had a couple of good ins.

As Scott said in the presser, he wont be reaching for the replay!

That was exactly a game we lose in the past yet we ground out a decent 50 point win.

One thing very noticeable is we are finally learning tempo footy. The tigers match was very good tactically from that point of view.

I'm very happy with the win. Considering where we are coming from, that wasn't an old Essington performance. Slowly but surely we are seeing a new Essendon that is prepared to work hard. Please may it continue 🙏

Anyone watch Scott’s presser?

Admits the fact that previously Essendon have just “expected to win” against bottom of the ladder sides was a focus point this week.

Talked about how unacceptable that mentality is considering the lack of success on-field for 10 years. “We’re not in a position to take anyone lightly”. Also pointed out the results from today in other games highlights how close the competition is.

Very classy about Simpson too.
he’s shown a lot, i was a bit skeptical to begin with when he came in- i was aware of what happened at norf but his approach and maturity has been great to watch. i’ve been converted and hope he sticks with us for a long time

You've made note a couple of very under appreciated points from the result last night.

(1) we did what we needed to do. Sometimes you just need to take the win and move on, we had perennially lost these sorts of games so people going in with the notion of a 'line' need to pull there heads in. We got the win against a much better Eagles side than we've seen in recent weeks.

(2) the way we fought through adversity, especially after the tough start and fight and pressure West Coast brought. We changed tact, played to our own tempo and it worked. Something which not many of us have experienced n the last decade. Another huge win for Scott and his coaching, play to the opponent and what they bring not just the our best will beat anyone mentality previous Essendon coaches seemed to have had.

As mentioned even prior to the game, take the win, limit the damages (no injuries or suspensions) and move on to next week. Was a nice little bonus (the 50 point win) but that should never have been our main objective.

Onto North who could well surprise us, then onto Carlton who no doubt will be breathing fire but we've perennially lost these (to WCE in Perth) so good to get another win on the road

Jeez watching it back without screeching toddlers and I have a new appreciation for how odd that commentary was

If you didn’t have the score line in the top corner you’d be convinced it was neck and neck all game

You've made note a couple of very under appreciated points from the result last night.

(1) we did what we needed to do. Sometimes you just need to take the win and move on, we had perennially lost these sorts of games so people going in with the notion of a 'line' need to pull there heads in. We got the win against a much better Eagles side than we've seen in recent weeks.

(2) the way we fought through adversity, especially after the tough start and fight and pressure West Coast brought. We changed tact, played to our own tempo and it worked. Something which not many of us have experienced n the last decade. Another huge win for Scott and his coaching, play to the opponent and what they bring not just the our best will beat anyone mentality previous Essendon coaches seemed to have had.

As mentioned even prior to the game, take the win, limit the damages (no injuries or suspensions) and move on to next week. Was a nice little bonus (the 50 point win) but that should never have been our main objective.

Onto North who could well surprise us, then onto Carlton who no doubt will be breathing fire but we've perennially lost these (to WCE in Perth) so good to get another win on the road
if carlton can’t do it for the emblem against the bloods or the pies then surely it’ll be an interesting game against us

Jeez watching it back without screeching toddlers and I have a new appreciation for how odd that commentary was

If you didn’t have the score line in the top corner you’d be convinced it was neck and neck all game
I had it down low enough I couldn't really hear it over my tinnitus but the running commentary on the commentary in here was pretty funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was proper bad.

Not only were they super partisan for the weagles, they were just bad at their job. In a 90 second passage of play they stuffed up Drapers first name (can't remember what they called him) followed up by commenting on the performance of Ash McGrath

For example, I can't remember one discussion about Martin's game. Yet they couldn't stop talking about Ginbey, or the Eagles' amazing and revolutionary one on one defense

Imagine they knew it was Hardwicks last game against us…would have been worse…especially if they brought up the faulty PowerPoint presentation in the 2007 interview for the Essendon gig…that was him back then IIRC?

will say that oscar allen was impressive, he's someone that west coast should try and keep on their list. well played to him

Was proper bad.

Not only were they super partisan for the weagles, they were just bad at their job. In a 90 second passage of play they stuffed up Drapers first name (can't remember what they called him) followed up by commenting on the performance of Ash McGrath
Our cult favourite ruckman Scott Draper and vice captain and former Brisbane Lion Ash McGrath

watching the replay now, what’s most apparent is that tippa needs some time in the twos. i love him to death but his output just isn’t there at the moment. i’m fine that we won by 50, as many & brad scott has said this was a game we maybe (and have) lost in prior seasons, so winning like this is fantastic. no injuries, no suspensions. things are good.

only real downside is that we kinda got pumped in the ruck, but i think bryan played well, given it’s his first game in a while. and even with that in mind our midfield didn’t flounder because of that, the usual suspects have been playing excellently

watched the repay, shitty game to watch but good to get away with a win and a bit of %

it was good to see we didn't just try and "play the essendon way" and run headlong into the WCE defensive structures again and again

They were commentating to keep the Perth viewers from switching off. A lot of it was vomit.

I saw somewhere that the last time we beat them by more than that in Perth was 2001. For those playing at home we made the GF that year.

Anyone unhappy with last night’s game needs to give themselves an uppercut.

Up the Planes!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back