AFL Toast RND 11: Win Against the Weagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the disappointment of not winning by 100+
Id say it was more down to being quite a clinical game
Few highlights, everyone did their job, stamped the timesheet and last one out switched off the lights.

Thought there was a lot to like from Merrett, Langford, stringer, hepp, martin, Redman and Ridley

Felt for zerk. Was a bit exposed.

The rucks were unfortunately dominated in the ruck but draper made his mark elsewhere in patches.
Thought Bryan looked good and should stay in

Shame we didn't rest tippa, esp with guelfi in.

First higher ranked team to win this weekend. Eagles have had the blow torch to them all week with a few important inclusions. Thought we had a very professional win. Not buying into that we should have thumped them. Last year we lost to them, this year we won by 50, that’s great in my book.
!00%. Wasn't able to watch much of last night's game but from what I did see WCE brought a heap more committment than they did vs Hawthorn, as well as having a better side in. And no fresh game day injuries another big plus. North been much improved last couple of weeks so next game is no gimme.

Jeez watching it back without screeching toddlers and I have a new appreciation for how odd that commentary was

If you didn’t have the score line in the top corner you’d be convinced it was neck and neck all game
It was very noticeable- I actually thought exactly the same thing watching the game.

Worth pointing out that we are undefeated in our new Dreamtime jumper.
Sometime ago I mentioned a book by Kate Constable called Crow Country. It's Wah the crow's story. For the jumper it's Wah and it's Longy's story I think.

When there's no beginning and no end, you're always undefeated 😉

Was watching with a WCE following friend, we were laughing at the commentary all night, but this one had us cacking it.
My favourite was at the +30pt margin, someone said there was a game on. Langford then kicked 2 in 90s.

It was a team that was lost in what to say cos we were up and they knew nothing of us
Last week, commentary couldnt shut up about the hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that was Dixon when Snelling made a mistake. Even the other commentators went quiet with that one.
He was on first crack last night and he was surprisingly very complimentary of us, I think his sat night performance was just trying to put a positive spin for a coach and team under the pump (King on the other hand barely spoke during the eagles v dons segment 😀).

I didn't mind the commentary, there's always some bias towards teams that are no good.

Although I can't stand BT, Brayshaw, huddo, Nicholson, Dwayne, Luke Darcy, Luke Hodge. So I'm pretty much in a boat where if its not any of them I'm okay with it.

EDIT: forgot Tim Lane and Gerard Whately don't like them either.

Last edited:
The commentary was bad. Professional commentators need to be a little more impartial than that. All night it was about the Eagles. Anything Essendon did was briefly described only to be overtaken with what the Eagles did or didn't do to counter Essendon.

Yeah I get the bias and all that, but it becomes tiring after a while. It seems Roco is right, you have to have played 200 games to get a gig.

I guess another point to be made, would be that we have been so bad for 20years we are now on foxtel with the C/D grade commentators while the Bulldogs and Gold Coast are on channel 7.

If we play consistently good footy we'd be on Chanel 7 prime time more, and we could all complain about BT getting players names wrong.

The commentary was bad. Professional commentators need to be a little more impartial than that. All night it was about the Eagles. Anything Essendon did was briefly described only to be overtaken with what the Eagles did or didn't do to counter Essendon.

Yeah I get the bias and all that, but it becomes tiring after a while. It seems Roco is right, you have to have played 200 games to get a gig.
I really just want the callers to call the play.

Special comments should have some material for each team, either some random stat they got off the afl website or if they’re halfway competent maybe some analysis of something they’re observing.

And then the boundary rider covers both club’s bench rotations and injuries.

You wouldn’t think it was difficult…

If they wanted actually good coverage they could put someone on special comments that can actually read the game, and I wouldn’t mind if they got an umpire on to talk about how decisions are made and what they’re looking for in particular situations, either as part of special comments or at half time.

I assume it is to make the viewers think it is a competitive game so they dont turn it off or switch over. Not that big a deal. I guess I manage to not get too caught up in what they are saying anyway but that has taken decades of experience.

I didn't mind the commentary, there's always some bias towards teams that are no good.

Although I can't stand BT, Brayshaw, huddo, Nicholson, Dwayne, Luke Darcy, Luke Hodge. So I'm pretty much in a boat where if its not any of them I'm okay with it.

EDIT: forgot Tim Lane and Gerard Whately don't like them either.
Huddo, Tim Lane and Luke Hodge I don't get.
They're all high quality commentators IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back