Preview Rnd 12 - Carlton v Fremantle Sat 15th Aug 8.10PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

At the start of the year no, but we definitely could have been. Hawthorn have won 1 game from the last 6 and we gave up a 5 goal lead to lose by 5 goals - win that and we are well in the hunt. After giving the Dee's a 7 goal start we had multiple good opportunities to win that game in the last and blew it, again win that game and we are in the hunt - win both and we are almost certainties.
There is certainly an element of wasting the season.

There is for now and that can yet change even if we don't make finals.
A break-even win/loss from here on in, a percentage in the 90's and more of youth showing form, wouldn't be a bad launching pad into 2021

Said it weeks ago, but would like to see names Williamson, Dow, Fisher, SPS, Cuningham etc in our best from here on in.
Look at Fremantle in recent weeks. It has largely been driven by Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong, with Logue involved before injury.

Out: Pittonet, Martin (injured), gibbons

Betts may not be scoring goals but his forward pressure is way higher than Gibbons and its creating goals for others.

Liked a lot of your analysis but this observation re Gibbons and Betts isn’t true. Gibbons was second on the team for pressure acts and score involvements on Sunday. Beating betts in both areas. Betts did however have more tackles.

Not saying the call to drop Gibbo is entirely without merit (although I wouldn’t do it personally), but the stats suggest that Gibbo is one of our stronger off ball contributors pretty consistently.

These kinds of things are obviously harder to see when the vast majority of us aren’t able to go to games and I imagine his efforts might be more appreciated if we were

hqdefault.jpg

In: McKay, McGovern
Out: Pittonet, Martin

At some stage guys like Dow, LOB, Cuningham, Marchbank need to be displacing Kennedy, Murphy, Betts, Simpson for us to prepare for next season.
Kennedy?

Rather shocked at Carlton supporters wanting Kennedy dropped. Do people only look at stats to determine whether or not a player had impact? The bloke was taking contested pack marks (3 contested, 6 total) and provided some grunt around the ground we severely lack. Is there something I'm missing? Late injury?
No. He is in career best form and NO CHANCE OF BEING DROPPED FFS

Get Pittonet out of the ruck, TDK was holding up better
There was a time where we were sitting in a very good position to sneak into the 8, if we won the games we "should" have won from there on out.

But we've burnt winnable games and that chance is slipping.

I think it was more hope and optimism than confidence, but it certainly wasn't unreasonable after Round 8 when we were 4-4 with a positive percentage and what seemed to be a beneficial draw to come.
At the start of the year no, but we definitely could have been. Hawthorn have won 1 game from the last 6 and we gave up a 5 goal lead to lose by 5 goals - win that and we are well in the hunt. After giving the Dee's a 7 goal start we had multiple good opportunities to win that game in the last and blew it, again win that game and we are in the hunt - win both and we are almost certainties.

There is certainly an element of wasting the season.
I still think that, with the young kids continuing to gather experience, we can finish the season very strongly.... No ruling out of finals for me.
After beating Geelong in Geelong, it seemed like a very good possibility.

After last weeks game against the Hawks its clear its not going to happen though.

Start of the season, before covid, I had us down for 8 -13 wins, so finals were a slim outside chance

Beating the Cats, Dogs showed we could compete against anyone, but that never suggested consistency, just like most sides

I think Kennedy would absolutely be one to potentially make way for Dow when he comes back into the side, but it comes down to what kind of forward mix we want and whether Kennedy can coexist up there with our preferred tall trio. Either that or we're dropping Ed as well.

Going into next year:

Plowman, Jones, Marchbank
Doc, Weitering, Williamson
Walsh, Setters, LOB
Pitt/TDK?, Cripps, Dow
Martin, Curnow, Fisher
Betts, McKay, McGovern
I/C from: Murph, Ed, Silvagni, SPS, Newman, Cunners, Newnes, Gibbons, Kennedy, Casboult, Stocker, Kemp, Philp, Honey, Owies

That's not even accounting for new acquisitions.

If we're forward planning, Kennedy isn't safe by any stretch. He's doing himself plenty of favours with the way he's playing, but there's a lot of competition for bench spots going into next year.

I think Kennedy would absolutely be one to potentially make way for Dow when he comes back into the side, but it comes down to what kind of forward mix we want and whether Kennedy can coexist up there with our preferred tall trio. Either that or we're dropping Ed as well.

Going into next year:

Plowman, Jones, Marchbank
Doc, Weitering, Williamson
Walsh, Setters, LOB
Pitt/TDK?, Cripps, Dow
Martin, Curnow, Fisher
Betts, McKay, McGovern
I/C from: Murph, Ed, Silvagni, SPS, Newman, Cunners, Newnes, Gibbons, Kennedy, Casboult, Stocker, Kemp, Philp, Honey, Owies

That's not even accounting for new acquisitions.

If we're forward planning, Kennedy isn't safe by any stretch. He's doing himself plenty of favours with the way he's playing, but there's a lot of competition for bench spots going into next year.

We really need to move past Betts, especially for next year

That backline is way too slow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies, didn't know it was based purely around Kennedy

If that's the case I would have him as a forward rather than Betts

Yep, but then you also need to consider Murph, JSOS, Gibbons, Cunners, Owies, Honey, hell even Philp or Phillips.

I like what Kennedy offers, but I'm not sure where he fits in the 22 in the medium term. We've got lots of developing mids, and we've got some elite tall forwards, so he's gotta do a lot to hold a spot over guys with more perceived upside.

How long do they give Marchy before he comes back in? Same goes with Dow.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'd play Dow this week as a replacement for Martin.
Not sure about Marchbank, and who he would replace in our defence.

Think the club gives Marchy at least another couple of scratch matches given he hasn’t played a game since early March.

Dow may be considered for this week. If not, surely the following week. Personally, I’d have him in strong consideration for this week.

I'd play Dow this week as a replacement for Martin.
Not sure about Marchbank, and who he would replace in our defence.
If Marchbank comes back in a couple weeks, there will be not many games left in the season and I sadly think Simmo is pushed out because they will want to keep playing Willo. Unless we make finals or they put SPS in the mid I dont see anyone else.

Freo scores this year

Round 1. 57 Round 2. 69.

Round 3. 41 Round 4. 51

Round 5. 48 Round 6. 79*

Round 7. 32. Round 8. 16*

Round 9. 61. Round 11. 48

Not quaking in my boots just yet. They’ve been better the last couple of weeks but they still struggle to kick a score. With Weiters and Jones it’s very hard to see them kicking 60+ which they’ve only done a three times for the year. They’ll need to score to beat us

Apparently Hogan played CHB in the scratch match for them, so probably won’t be returning as a forward is he comes back in this week
Odds of them kicking 30 points in 10 minutes?

If Marchbank comes back in a couple weeks, there will be not many games left in the season and I sadly think Simmo is pushed out because they will want to keep playing Willo. Unless we make finals or they put SPS in the mid I dont see anyone else.

Could try Willo on the wing with Newnes falling out?

Or Walsh moving onto the ball?

I feel like Marchbank needs to put some more muscle on his frame and try to take Jones' spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back