Preview Rnd 12 - Carlton v Fremantle Sat 15th Aug 8.10PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not, we supposedly have the best fitness guy in the business.

Cause he keeps falling apart :p

Just figure it's maybe an avenue to bringing him back in without having to make that questionable call on Levi. And if it's easier on his body (I don't know, just ruminating) then it could have long terms benefits for him as well.

That being said, I think wherever Charlie plays he's going to be flying for marks...so maybe there's not much difference anyway.

I wonder if the wing might be a better place to bring Charlie back anyway - would running be less strain on his knee than all the jumping and crashing packs we'd want him doing in the forward line?

In my mind it is all bets off with Charlie - the knee injuries he is dealing with are not trivial - itis an open question whether he will get back the combination of jump and speed around the contest that he had previously and it is an open question whether he will be able to use his aerobic capacity that he has - on a weakened knee.

The only 'good' news in that equation is he has age on his side- in theory, his body has recuperative powers that older players may not have and he has less 'hard' miles under his belt as baggage as well. It may well be that Charlie can only play as a straight line leading player - we will have to wait and see. I Don't see wing as an easier job for him than scaring defenders in the forward line - its fingers crossed. Which is why Harry's arrested development due to constant niggling injury is so frustrating.

In theory Harry/Charlie and McGovern all playing fit and well together would probably be unstoppable 3 tall combo - don't know any another team with that sort of firepower or any defence that can handle all three as well as Martin/Fisher/Cuningham types.

In my mind it is all bets off with Charlie - the knee injuries he is dealing with are not trivial - itis an open question whether he will get back the combination of jump and speed around the contest that he had previously and it is an open question whether he will be able to use his aerobic capacity that he has - on a weakened knee.

The only 'good' news in that equation is he has age on his side- in theory, his body has recuperative powers that older players may not have and he has less 'hard' miles under his belt as baggage as well. It may well be that Charlie can only play as a straight line leading player - we will have to wait and see. I Don't see wing as an easier job for him than scaring defenders in the forward line - its fingers crossed. Which is why Harry's arrested development due to constant niggling injury is so frustrating.

In theory Harry/Charlie and McGovern all playing fit and well together would probably be unstoppable 3 tall combo - don't know any another team with that sort of firepower or any defence that can handle all three as well as Martin/Fisher/Cuningham types.

I would love to see Charlie come back and play on the wing. Roam into the backline for the odd intercept mark, and then out run his opponent and become a target in the forward line. The Kouta role of 95'.

Charlie kicks goals. The single most defining ability in the modern game. A 3 goal haul in a 10 goal winning score is huge. He loves kicking goals. He is not afraid of kicking goals. He is very good at kicking goals.

And is a perfect partner for Harry. And Mitch.
Yep, plays out of the square for mine. It was a very small sample size (due to his injuries last year), but the difference between Charlie under Bolton and Teague is that he stayed much closer to goals under Teague. Under Bolton, he was roaming up to the wing. Had his best two games of the season (3 goals vs Brisbane and 7 goals vs the Dogs) under Teague. Again, tiny sample size but intuitively it makes sense.

Charlie isn’t damaging getting the ball up on the wings. He’s damaging when it’s kicked to him in a one on one 20 metres out from goal. He’ll likely either mark or get a free kick from an opponent panicking. If the ball gets to ground, again he can pick it up and snap a goal out of nothing. Super dangerous close to goals. And it should work with H and Gov who like to get up the ground.

CCurnow to a wing....Marchbank on the wing....Why do we do this to ourselves? :)
Curnow is capable, but the loss of him in the forward line would most likely outweigh any reason for playing wing.

We'll see how he comes back, but given the scale of the injury, it may take time before we see him anywhere near his best. We'll see.
Genuine goal-kickers don't come around every day and unless he's totally lost that ability, just leave him where he scares anyone that plays on him.

Yep, plays out of the square for mine. It was a very small sample size (due to his injuries last year), but the difference between Charlie under Bolton and Teague is that he stayed much closer to goals under Teague. Under Bolton, he was roaming up to the wing. Had his best two games of the season (3 goals vs Brisbane and 7 goals vs the Dogs) under Teague. Again, tiny sample size but intuitively it makes sense.

Charlie isn’t damaging getting the ball up on the wings. He’s damaging when it’s kicked to him in a one on one 20 metres out from goal. He’ll likely either mark or get a free kick from an opponent panicking. If the ball gets to ground, again he can pick it up and snap a goal out of nothing. Super dangerous close to goals. And it should work with H and Gov who like to get up the ground.
CCurnow to a wing....Marchbank on the wing....Why do we do this to ourselves? :)
Curnow is capable, but the loss of him in the forward line would most likely outweigh any reason for playing wing.

We'll see how he comes back, but given the scale of the injury, it may take time before we see him anywhere near his best. We'll see.
Genuine goal-kickers don't come around every day and unless he's totally lost that ability, just leave him where he scares anyone that plays on him.

It's a simple as asking oneself, where on the field does the opposition least want Charlie to play? Absolute no brainer IMO.

It's a simple as asking oneself, where on the field does the opposition least want Charlie to play? Absolute no brainer IMO.

That's a good start point and the fact he's great one on one...and sometimes two on one...asks the opposition to put extra work into him, which then by default leaves others without as much pressure upon them.

McGovern will make a lot more sense also, when we finally get McKay and CCurnow on the field together and then we have Martin and the notion of having Papley there also.....good luck other clubs.
It doesn't always work out that way but that makes for a very dangerous forward line...if all playing at least to their 'second-best' standard.

Like you wanting to play Marchbank as a forward?

Like you wanting to play Marchbank as a forward?

If we had no forwards as it seemed it may have been the case, why not?
Seems McKay is playing now so a definite no, but if McKay, CCurnow, McGovern, JSilvagni were all injured and Pittonet was out also, forcing us to play TDK as pretty much the solo ruck-man, then again...why not?

The other point to that was to get Marchbank back into the senior team asap, because he does represent part of our best starting 22 and at worst he can maneuver his man at the contest and get the ball to ground.
That's fair enough isn't it.....and no....No more Moore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we had no forwards as it seemed it may have been the case, why not?
Seems McKay is playing now so a definite no, but if McKay, CCurnow, McGovern, JSilvagni were all injured and Pittonet was out also, forcing us to play TDK as pretty much the solo ruck-man, then again...why not?

The other point to that was to get Marchbank back into the senior team asap, because he does represent part of our best starting 22.
That's fair enough isn't it.....and no....No more Moore.

So play, players out of position when it suits the narrative?

Sure

So play, players out of position when it suits the narrative?

Sure

Player being played out of position if there was no choice for injury.

That's very, very straight forward and doesn't require forensic investigation, nor trying to twist things around.

While I want CC up forward as playing a Richo or NR role on the wing is not any sort of recipe for success (evidenced by both those sides missing the 8), CC is damaging when getting the ball on the wing as he marks and wheels onto the left and roosts it low and fast 60-70m into the forward line. That is an absolute weapon.

Funny I thought Williamson had his best game for the year last week.

FWIW -
Cotrell (who played on the wing) had 9 possessions, 1 tackle, 2 score involvements 244 metres gained, 3 turnovers and went at 66.67% DE
Williamson (who played in defence) had 13 possessions, 6 tackles, 2 score involvements, 217 metres gained, 4 turnovers and went at 69.23% DE (78% for the year)

Not quite sure what point your comparison makes other than a debutante had a similar game. Williamson also got 50 % of possession in defence and 50% in forward half. As I said i wish the best for him...he just gets a lot of free passes on here compared to other players

Can't afford to have any passengers this week ..no easy game of football out there anymore ..and days of carrying passengers are over ..we need to be on our mettle ..every player chosen to play has to play to their best of ability ..team cohesion is very important ..we drop this one and we would really be making up the numbers

Especially when people rate players in their supposed best 22, we make allowances

Sometimes one has no choice but to make allowances and I was talking about one game and not some endeavour to make a permanent role out of it.
This was pretty clear, I would have thought?

Getting back to the main point though; I'd like to see players we deem to be best 22, playing as much as possible for the rest of this year.
If Dow is ready......play him and if Marchbank was ready....just play him....and if we think another, be it O'Brien, Philp etc will make for our best side next year, get as many games into them now, and especially so for the injuries we currently have.
Let's not waste games on players that may not even be at the club next year. People may well have a different point of view, but this is just mine.

If I remember correctly Sos got blastered for picking TDK at around pick 30ish I believe and there was talks why we didn’t go for Constable.Looks like now it was an astute choice.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also I think SOS did mention that he knew Pick 30 was too high for TDK as he wouldn’t have gone before pick 50 but that was before you could live trade picks - and our next pick at about 70 was too late. But SOS would have probably been able to get us TDK and pick 40 for that Pick 30. It’s a shame he won’t be there for the live picks in the future...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not quite sure what point your comparison makes other than a debutante had a similar game. Williamson also got 50 % of possession in defence and 50% in forward half. As I said i wish the best for him...he just gets a lot of free passes on here compared to other players

Similar game?

As for the point, you were the one who said Cotrell "broke more lines" - 37m more gained doesn't really demonstrate that, the rest of the figures (4 more possessions 5 more tackles playing as a defender) show Williamson had the much better game.

"Williamson also got 50 % of possession in defence and 50% in forward half." And? He still played as a defender all game.

Last edited:
Sometimes one has no choice but to make allowances and I was talking about one game and not some endeavour to make a permanent role out of it.
This was pretty clear, I would have thought?

Getting back to the main point though; I'd like to see players we deem to be best 22, playing as much as possible for the rest of this year.
If Dow is ready......play him and if Marchbank was ready....just play him....and if we think another, be it O'Brien, Philp etc will make for our best side next year, get as many games into them now, and especially so for the injuries we currently have.
Let's not waste games on players that may not even be at the club next year. People may well have a different point of view, but this is just mine.
If our young blokes were able to play serious VFL footy things would be different but given finals are gone and they are playing 12 V 12 we can't let these players just waste a season. With the possibility of list cuts still being floated it makes knowing what we have more important.

Also I think SOS did mention that he knew Pick 30 was too high for TDK as he wouldn’t have gone before pick 50 but that was before you could live trade picks - and our next pick at about 70 was too late. But SOS would have probably been able to get us TDK and pick 40 for that Pick 30. It’s a shame he won’t be there for the live picks in the future...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep, that is all correct. But Sydney are reported to have been very interested in TDK with their Pick 34 that year too. They took McCartin after TDK was gone. They were obviously after a tall.

But yeah, we had 30 and really wanted to add a tall so SOS rightfully pulled the trigger. Could be a ripper pick too. Took most of us by surprise at the time, but was a sound pick. If i remember rightly, Jimmae was the only one across him with a sub 50 pick. Think he nabbed him around 40ish in the Phantom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back