Preview Rnd 12 - Carlton v Fremantle Sat 15th Aug 8.10PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - I think a genuine wing player(s) is a definite area of weakness - it is always a slog for our on ballers between the arcs- the current players on the outside just don't have the kicking penetration required to move the ball as fast as Teague's game style requires in Murph's case I think he has lost 50% of his kicking ability over the last couple of years in Newnes case we were never looking at anything particularly special - not surprised to see that St Kilda tried to fashion him into a HBFer.

Ironically - I think the best wingman we have on the list right now is Simpson - and if we had someone coming through who could play his role defensively - I'd be playing him on a wing - still looks a better player and dangerous on a flank with ball in hand and some space- still has the leg speed and a much more penetrating kick than what we are playing now.

Don't know what is going on with LoB ...or Stocker ...but we can scratch Setterfield as a wingman and Walsh rotates through there - only because he has the class to play anywhere. Wouldn't be surprised to see Charlie rotate through a wing / CHF role next year - fingers crossed for the lad.
I find Simmo most overrated with ball in hand. Very slow to kick the ball back into play. Often kicks long to where we are outnumbered at the contest and overlooks better options. Don't want him kicking to our leading forwards. Fisher Williamson LOB Cunners Walsh all offer more. Prefer investing in them than a great player at his peak who has played on one year too many.

Sometimes one has no choice but to make allowances and I was talking about one game and not some endeavour to make a permanent role out of it.
This was pretty clear, I would have thought?

Getting back to the main point though; I'd like to see players we deem to be best 22, playing as much as possible for the rest of this year.
If Dow is ready......play him and if Marchbank was ready....just play him....and if we think another, be it O'Brien, Philp etc will make for our best side next year, get as many games into them now, and especially so for the injuries we currently have.
Let's not waste games on players that may not even be at the club next year. People may well have a different point of view, but this is just mine.

I doubt Marchbank would be ready after one run, in fact it would be extremely unlikely, but that makes no difference to desperate supporters, so much so their willing to fit him in any where

I find Simmo most overrated with ball in hand. Very slow to kick the ball back into play. Often kicks long to where we are outnumbered at the contest and overlooks better options. Don't want him kicking to our leading forwards. Fisher Williamson LOB Cunners Walsh all offer more. Prefer investing in them than a great player at his peak who has played on one year too many.

I think Simmo is one of our smarter footballers and makes the right choices as much as anyone whether his body holds up is the issue. He may know what the right option is but knows that making that kick isnt a high percentage option for him.

There was a play against the Hawks where Wingard? had the ball going through a pack and Simmo was the only CFC player to anticipate how that play was going to roll out. Unfortunately with his physical limitations (speed and agility) he couldn't stop the play and a goal resulted but he was the only one trying to stop it. I think Simmo knows that his mind is willing but his body is no longer able to deliver as it once did.

I think the club will look seriously at moving Simmo and Murph on, but even with their limitations I don't see anyone banging the door down for their spot yet.

I think Simmo is one of our smarter footballers and makes the right choices as much as anyone whether his body holds up is the issue. He may know what the right option is but knows that making that kick isnt a high percentage option for him.

There was a play against the Hawks where Wingard? had the ball going through a pack and Simmo was the only CFC player to anticipate how that play was going to roll out. Unfortunately with his physical limitations (speed and agility) he couldn't stop the play and a goal resulted but he was the only one trying to stop it. I think Simmo knows that his mind is willing but his body is no longer able to deliver as it once did.

I think the club will look seriously at moving Simmo and Murph on, but even with their limitations I don't see anyone banging the door down for their spot yet.
With all Murphy bashing that goes on, I think it will be a case of not appreciating what we have until he's gone.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I doubt Marchbank would be ready after one run, in fact it would be extremely unlikely, but that makes no difference to desperate supporters, so much so their willing to fit him in any where

Oh right....desperate supporters. :) Why do you do these things? It a disservice to yourself and the thread.

No one is desperate and Marchbank may well not be right to go this week, but bringing it back on topic - I (me, harker, no on else) would like to see players such as Dow & Marchbank certainly and maybe Honey, O'Brien & Philp get as many games as possible into them before years end.

I don't mind the idea of giving some of the oldies a rest here and there and even if it's only a couple of games for O'Brien and Honey....and given the injuries we have.....I don't see any harm done.

Dropping Williamson would be insane.

He is our HBF for the next 10 years. He is a ripper.

End of.
Not really though. You're implying dropping him is a bad thing. It's normal and is more often than not a good thing for player and club. Michael Clarke still maintains its the best thing that ever happened for his career getting dropped from the aussie team. Look how ridiculous Smith has been after he was 'dropped'. Getting dropped will not change the fact willo is likely seen internally as a 10 year player.

With all Murphy bashing that goes on, I think it will be a case of not appreciating what we have until he's gone.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't think we'll miss a 33yo timid, dinky kicking, non chasing, non tackling accumulator who lacks pace much.

And that can be a comment that applies to this weeks match as well as any after.

To stay on topic. :)

Yeah I got sucked in by his sweet kicking style but in terms of his kicking effectiveness I don't rate him at all. I feel as supporters we are blinded by his courage and contested marking and tend to overlook deficiencies like his decision making

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct but as you know Bambi and/or his mother are sacrosanct around here.

;)

When fit I have him in my best 22. People forget the fact that he is an exceptional intercepting mark. Just got to get his core strength to be able to match up against power forwards. I see him as a successor to Liam. Having three tall intercepting defenders wont be necessary most games but Caleb's strength is his versatility.He can also match up against quick medium sized forwards whereas Plow is suspect overhead and not as quick.

When fit I have him in my best 22. People forget the fact that he is an exceptional intercepting mark. Just got to get his core strength to be able to match up against power forwards. I see him as a successor to Liam. Having three tall intercepting defenders wont be necessary most games but Caleb's strength is his versatility.He can also match up against quick medium sized forwards whereas Plow is suspect overhead and not as quick.

You will be waiting a long time for Marchbank to play as a KPD. I have this debate each year

Last edited:
Sounding very much like

Out: Martin, TDK
In: Dow, McKay

McKay clearly being managed to get through the season and from all reports will be back. Dow has done his time and with Martin injured seems the obvious choice.

Cunners a sneaky chance over Dow and if Pitto doesn’t get up then TDK will hold his spot.

Sounding very much like

Out: Martin, TDK
In: Dow, McKay

McKay clearly being managed to get through the season and from all reports will be back. Dow has done his time and with Martin injured seems the obvious choice.

Cunners a sneaky chance over Dow and if Pitto doesn’t get up then TDK will hold his spot.
Why would we drop TDK ? ...

Should be a good match up for us as i believe freo are capable of producing some good games.

Their backline is looking a little small and hopefully this is something we can exploit.

IN: Mckay, Dow
OUT: Martin, de koning

Kennedy to push forward and Dow to come in the guts to inject some pace that Kennedy, setters and cripps dont have.

De Koning a bit unlucky but pittonet and darcy seem a build for build matchup. Could keep De koning in if we want to try and exploit height a little more.

Might also like to see Betts out for Honey but hope eddie kicks a few this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back