Preview Rnd 12 - Carlton v Fremantle Sat 15th Aug 8.10PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who plays on Walters? Only Fremantle forward genuine concern about.

Ed on Fyfe all day, wear him like a glove.

Will be close like last year, looking forward to the game.
Lots of people talking up Stocker. Isn’t he still in Melbourne?

He is, assumed that meant for the remaining games, not this one.

Not sure why a guy who played 2 games in 4 years at Hawthorn who could not even get ahead of Cegler who is not much chop all of a sudden first ruck.
He should have been a back up ruck for De Koning.
Bulldogs have put games into English and he is improving every year. So we have De Koning pick 30 who has only played 3 games in 3 years second fiddle to Pittonet.
Teague needs to start playing the draft picks to get something out of this year otherwise it is another wasted year.
Funny how we have a young list yet an old best 22 every week.
Hope the last few weeks are not wasted on players like Moore.,Newnes, Pittonet etc
These guys were back up not best 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Firstly TDK has been injured so couldn't play earlier in the season.
English is 2 years older (was recruited as a 19yr old due to a stuff up in registering for the draft)than TDK and at the same age played 7 games in the 2018 season. English still has games where he is smashed like the one against Carlton and is ranked 25th for hitouts per game which is pretty much last for full time ruckmen. Pittonet has been much better in the ruck than English this season.

Firstly TDK has been injured so couldn't play earlier in the season.
English is 2 years older (was recruited as a 19yr old due to a stuff up in registering for the draft)than TDK and at the same age played 7 games in the 2018 season. English still has games where he is smashed like the one against Carlton and is ranked 25th for hitouts per game which is pretty much last for full time ruckmen. Pittonet has been much better in the ruck than English this season.
It is also TDK's first season as the sole ruck in the 'Reserves'.

Who plays on Walters? Only Fremantle forward genuine concern about.

Ed on Fyfe all day, wear him like a glove.

Will be close like last year, looking forward to the game.

He is, assumed that meant for the remaining games, not this one.

Ed is too small to play on Fyfe, would get exposed as soon as he drifts forward. I wonder if given a job Setterfield might be a really good option to run with.

Ed is too small to play on Fyfe, would get exposed as soon as he drifts forward. I wonder if given a job Setterfield might be a really good option to run with.
Setterfield is far weaker than Curnow, Fyfe would throw him around up forward easily.

I wonder if Fyfe will sit forward though like he has the last week or 2, that would be a trickier matchup if he stays there for ~80% of the game.

TDK was good in the ruck against Nic Nat, competed well but was largely a witches hat when he went forward. Pitto has been excellent all year, and one bad game when he received a small niggle that put him off his game, i dont think the previous 5 games gets discounted off 1 bad half of footy. For me he is still #1.

If TDK isnt playing ruck then he isnt good enough as a forward (yet)

TDK was good in the ruck against Nic Nat, competed well but was largely a witches hat when he went forward. Pitto has been excellent all year, and one bad game when he received a small niggle that put him off his game, i dont think the previous 5 games gets discounted off 1 bad half of footy. For me he is still #1.

If TDK isnt playing ruck then he isnt good enough as a forward (yet)
Not sure about that. He has form as a forward. Believe he kicked 10 goals in a TAC game. Think he is a better forward option and in the wet more effective with his ground skills and repeat efforts.

You sure? I rate Setters as being close to our best tackler in the side
I haven't seen a lot of Freo this year but Andrew Brashaw has been in pretty good form for them by the sounds of things, I could see if we sat Ed on him he would go from 33 touches last week to less than 10 this week where as using Ed on Fyfe might knock him down from 30 to 20 or 25. Do we give Setters the task of going with Fyfe (gives him an education as well as a role) and accept Fyfe is goign to be good regardless and try to use Ed where he can have the bigger impact?

Is the Dow that most want in this match the same one that most wanted dropped last year and traded about 3 weeks ago?
Can we answer this after the game when his kicking is still s**t?

Id like to see him come in to see where he is at and what has/hasn't improved. I would still include him in a trade for papley if that pleases the swans.
Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Williamson was quite a clean ball-handler, but it has escaped him somewhat in his come-back...for now at least.
I'm not too worried about it and if by some chance he is pushed back...which he won't be, but.... it will likely be only for the short term.

We still have many players working on aspects of their games.
The other factor we have to take into account is the drop off in the amount of training they are doing which would be affecting ball handling especially for players that have been out for a while, ie Doc and Willo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it a fact he did it more than Williamson?

Does it take more or less confidence to run to link up playing as a defender than a midfielder?

" And if you think people don't ask for Jones to be dropped you're nuts" Please provide evidence.

"And for the record average turnovers this season Jones 1.9...Williamson 1.8" Williamson is averaging 10.2 disposals and Jones just 7.5, so Williamson's turnovers account for 17.64% of his possessions while Jones'account for 25% - interesting how people see what they want to see.

As I've said mate you're clearly a fan and I'm not at the moment. We could go back and forth forever...all cool that we see things differently.. that's what a forum is all about. Enjoy the rest of the season.

Not sure about that. He has form as a forward. Believe he kicked 10 goals in a TAC game. Think he is a better forward option and in the wet more effective with his ground skills and repeat efforts.

Far easier to dominate at TAC level against short people when you are 200cm tall, not so easy at AFL level.. Just ask 2m Peter Wright.. I still think he has a bright future but on the very limited form he has shown, i am not sure he is ready and I cant imagine a fwd line working with TDK, Harry McKay & Levi in it.

When the club likes you, they've seen things and should know things we just don't, here...and the club really likes him.

Maybe he is struggling a little right now, but that's not totally surprising for someone who's played a grand total of 25 games and for the issues he's had to endure. He's very much what we need and all I want for him, is for him not to have the same issues he's had in the past...and if he fumbles a bit here and there, then that's fine too, for now. It's not as though he's alone.
Yeah exactly, his great attributes when he was drafted were his evasiveness clean pick ups and his run and carry coming out of defence followed by a great left foot pass, all of these things will take time to return.

If we look back to the start of pre season and his first couple of games those things were there but seem to have tapered off since, but the same can be said of Doc his first few games this year he looked back to his normal self followed by a distinct tapering off so maybe it is purely down to the time out of the game and that they find there bodies can’t quite play the way they want to just yet.

Paddy Dow just needs that 1 game where he just breaks-out and be like "Yes I can do this". Player needs confidence, just need a little nudge to get him on the next level.

Agree, and seeing Teague's form, when he is in (whether that is this week, next week or the week after) he will get an extended run at it, even if his first game or 2 aren't up to par...

Worth noting that he has only really played three "real-ish" games this year - Freo and Bris in the Marsh Series and Richmond Rd 1 - wasn't good against Rich Rd 1 but the Brisbane game I thought he played almost as well as I have ever seen him...didn't see the Freo game but appeared to get a bit of the ball there too...

Let’s put Cripps head to Head with Fyfe and Curnow can play a defensive role on Brayshaw or Walters

I think Walters will be too dynamic for Ed in the contest, and Fyfe probably too big and powerful for him...Brayshaw is the match up I reckon...

Would have loved to have see Martin go head to head with Walters in the contest but obviously that can't happen...I am worried if Walters gets extended midfield minutes because I don't know if any of our other mids (ie Setters/Cripps/Kennedy) could go with him...maybe put Walsh in there for a bit to go head to head?

I can see the attraction but what he did in that bulldogs game is what we need, someone who we can isolate forward and make defenders terrified.
Spot on Macca goal square for mine as he is easily the best one vs one stand and mark player we have, has all the tricks and talent to kick 75 goals a year at FF.

Absolutely - question is going to be can he do that straight away, and can he do that without breaking again.
Russell won’t put him on the ground until he is 100% ready to go, trying to stop Charlie from doing the Charlie things is like trying to stop Cripps from playing a contested style of game, it just comes naturally to them, Russell will make sure Charlie won’t break down I have 100% faith in that.

Something strange happening here would have thought an update of him training maybe with Kreuzer would alai some doubts on him wasting a season of at least conditioning
I know the club doesn’t owe me anything but it would dispel some fears if they would at least mention what training he is doing running conditioning
If he stops paddling he will go backwards He doesn’t need to travel up the river but at least maintain his fitness
In this condensed season we are only a couple of injury’s away from needing him
But it’s looking like a completely wasted season for him

We will have to put some serious work into Brayshaw, Cerra and even Serong... a most exciting young midfield that has been given opportunity
to grow.
Interesting that the first two have come through same timeline as Dow and O'Brien but are miles ahead.

Virtually all the TAC kids this size that get drafted are on ballers ... But come into the AFL and they have to play wings or flank/pocket roles
that they have never done and can struggle.

Freo have now got games into these kids in the mid field and are reaping the benefits.

We need to do same !!

This why Paddy has to play in guts..... He is in same class as Freo boys and must be given continued opportunity to show it now fit.

We desperately need break away pace at stoppages and Fish (with Martin out) and SPS also should get some time there.

O'Brien however I feel is a natural winger and also has to play now over say Newnes.

If D.T. does not change it up and add some pace in guts then I will be very disappointed and we will probably get rolled!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back