Preview Rnd 12 - Carlton v Fremantle Sat 15th Aug 8.10PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Really? compare their Dow's last year with Martin's this year and you see Score involvements 4.9 to 4.3, total possessions 13.7 o 14.3, goal assists 0.6 to 0.5, tackle 3.4 to 2.6, clearance 1.5 to 2.6 metres gained 213.3 to 214.6, intercepts 2.0 to 1.9.

Martin does lead in goals 1.1 to 0.4 but if you remove the 4 goals from round 1 it becomes 0.77 to 0.4.

Martin is much more a midfielder than people think.

"As for who's closest to Martin, well we don't really have anyone like him available." Hence me not saying Dow is a "like for like".

"Though if I had to I'd say the little I've seen of Honey gets closer than Dow." How often does Honey attend a centre clearance? How many AFL games has Honey played? He might be more like him but no one has really seen him play.
Stats don't define positions. Martin starts at centre bounces semi-often but doesn't play as an out and out midfielder.

I know you didn't say like for like, you said he's the most like him we have and I'm saying he isn't and that he's not very close to him at all.

Stats don't define positions. Martin starts at centre bounces semi-often but doesn't play as an out and out midfielder.

I know you didn't say like for like, you said he's the most like him we have and I'm saying he isn't and that he's not very close to him at all.

Neither did Dow under Teague last year. Stats might not "define position" but the show what the 2 are bringing to the team, similar goal assists, similar socre involvements and outside of 1 big game from martin, not dissimilar goals scored which is pretty good for a bloke with "no forward prowess."

Given the knock on Dow (and Martin to a degree) is the lack of stamina to play as a "pure mid" Dow playing a similar role to MArtin has so far htis year would seem a good option - possibly Dow ends more 60-40 midfield-forward and Martin was more 40-60 but Dow can offer something very similar.

You are saying he isn't and offering a bloke you haven't seen play as the better alternative.

Interesting options for the ins

Dow- Mid only, damn good one, but less effective forward

LOB - Wing/HB, along with Cottrell, you would push SPS into the guts/HF

Honey - More forward, but could push up around the stoppages

I hope TDK stays in

That sounds perfect for where we are.

Think we'd all welcome that outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen a lot of Freo this year but Andrew Brashaw has been in pretty good form for them by the sounds of things, I could see if we sat Ed on him he would go from 33 touches last week to less than 10 this week where as using Ed on Fyfe might knock him down from 30 to 20 or 25. Do we give Setters the task of going with Fyfe (gives him an education as well as a role) and accept Fyfe is goign to be good regardless and try to use Ed where he can have the bigger impact?
I like this strategy. Mainly for setters to gain valuable education out of it.

Stephen May does alright at 193cm but he weighs 100kg, 10kg heavier than Marchbank.

Weitering is on the shorter side for a KPP these days at 196cm but again he weighs 98kg
weight height
Caleb 90 193
Jack Lever 85 194
Easton Wood 84 186
Ridley 91 192
Grimes 87 193
McGovern 96 190
Jonas 88 188
Moore 100 203

Think Caleb measures up alright. Just needs to build his body strength. May not be ready now but I think he is more than capable into transitioning into a KPD.

One thing I did notice in the Richmond game was that his defensive running was a lot better than past games in 19 which was a step in the right direction.
I also noticed him give away a 50 in the opening play of the game.
Kicking for goal from a set shot? Don't have much confidence in either of them

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
What? Martin is very reliable, apart From that miss vs North

Even from a 2 min highlights package from a 12 v 12 scratch match I could see improvement in Dow.
Call me naive, but I don’t think he stood up in tackles last year. His kicking style is noticeably better, more controlled ball drop and more precise. The sidestep and evasion was always there, but his body shape and intent looked much improved.
Again, very different circumstances to a game in the seniors, but a lot to like. The test will be if he can last a full game, as his stamina was always an issue. I just hope when he eventually makes it back to the AFL side - hopefully this week - he is played in the position that utilises his strengths best.
I wonder if they included the kicks that missed targets and were clangers in the highlights

He looked good, his pickups in particular but you can't take much from the highlights as they don't show what they did bad etc. I do find it interesting to watch the other teams highlights sometimes, get to see who is competing/chasing hard etc when the opposition have the ball.

I also noticed him give away a 50 in the opening play of the game.

What? Martin is very reliable, apart From that miss vs North
He has missed quit a few gettable ones from set shots, I don't trust him at the moment or another way to put it, trust him about as much as Cripps kicking for goal (maybe a bit more than i do Cripps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back