Preview Rnd 12 - Carlton v Fremantle Sat 15th Aug 8.10PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Dow looked sensational in the scratch match. A bit surprised he’s not being pumped up more. His ability to take half volleys at pace and snap his body into free space is absolutely top shelf. Top top shelf. We should all be excited about his return. His kicking continues to look better and better technically. Endurance will remain the only material issue.

He frankly reminded me of Cotchin his half volley takes were that good. He is a massive upgrade on Kennedy at centre bounces. I REALLY want to see Kennedy tried consistently at half forward. His marking and kicking for goal are a treat.

Marchy was fine and all but (a) didn’t do anyhting that made me think ‘wow’ unlike Paddy and (b) no way does he come in after one game.

Well we do call him Paddy Wow, last year he struggled was going thought the second year Blues, this year has been injured.

But by going on reports he has shaken his injury and now pushing for the first, hope he gets in this week, but who do we leave out?

Moore and mckay in the same team didnt work. But that was moore just not up to it yet. I think we would see different results with mckay and tdk playing
I am not so sure.. TDK was good for a 3rd game player and playing in the ruck, but he was largely ineffectual playing forward.

I like that some of the trademark elements of Dow's game were on show, but I'm hesitant to bring him in to play in the guts given that he's been getting that form in a bastardisation of the game with grounds 40m shorter or 30m narrower than normal, with no wingers, and some really ordinary forward structures.

Still feel the smart move is to be a little more conservative with him. Let him continue to build some token form in the scratch matches, keep pushing him to work defensively as well as offensively, give him another full preseason to add to his (already improved) frame. Unleash him next year against the Tigers when he has a man's body and enough preparation to be able to play within AFL structures.

I want him in when he's physically and mentally ready to dominate. I don't think that's far away, either. If we're going to put senior development time into anyone, make it LOB who can't even play his role in the reserves given that position has been scratched. Walsh on ball for a run of games, LOB onto the wing. Or hell, chuck Marchy on a wing for a bit if he's fit, might help our ability to play down the line seeing as our opposition seem realise within 1-2 quarters that we just want to keep playing the corridor and go to water when that's denied us.
But then again you didn't think Fish could snap a goal. ;)

And I am not sure how you are going to get him to "physically and mentally dominate" when he can only play "in a bastardisation of the game with grounds 40m shorter or 30m narrower than normal (although from the footage it was only a shorter ground for part of the game), with no wingers, and some really ordinary forward structures." To me he gives us something we really need, a bit more speed and energy around the stoppage, with finals gone (need to win 6 of 7 from here), him being BOG and Martin & Cuningham being injured means the planets align for him.

I am not so sure.. TDK was good for a 3rd game player and playing in the ruck, but he was largely ineffectual playing forward.
True but I think he will only get better if we play him, running aroudn on 14 V 14 or 12 V 12 as it was on the weekend won't help him at all.

I like that some of the trademark elements of Dow's game were on show, but I'm hesitant to bring him in to play in the guts given that he's been getting that form in a bastardisation of the game with grounds 40m shorter or 30m narrower than normal, with no wingers, and some really ordinary forward structures.

Still feel the smart move is to be a little more conservative with him. Let him continue to build some token form in the scratch matches, keep pushing him to work defensively as well as offensively, give him another full preseason to add to his (already improved) frame. Unleash him next year against the Tigers when he has a man's body and enough preparation to be able to play within AFL structures.

I want him in when he's physically and mentally ready to dominate. I don't think that's far away, either. If we're going to put senior development time into anyone, make it LOB who can't even play his role in the reserves given that position has been scratched. Walsh on ball for a run of games, LOB onto the wing. Or hell, chuck Marchy on a wing for a bit if he's fit, might help our ability to play down the line seeing as our opposition seem realise within 1-2 quarters that we just want to keep playing the corridor and go to water when that's denied us.

His value is around the stoppages - particularly centre stoppages. It's still 4v4 in there even in that bastardised form of the game. I don't mind our current setup in the middle, but we're too one-paced. Dow is one of the few with genuine explosiveness out of the middle. With the added muscle, he'll be a lot better at keeping his feet. Can't wait to have him back out there.

Walsh into the middle and Dow on the wing probably makes the most sense to me.
Dow's not a wingman. Lacks the fitness, struggles to find the loose ball, and looks lost with the footy in space. Has to be played in the middle.

Would love Walsh in the middle and he'll be back there eventually, but if Dow comes in then Walsh stays on the wing.

If McGovern is fit and in form he is a difference maker for Carlton.

Has the highest Metres Gained per Disposal (24m) of anyone in the team, goes at 75% by foot (equal second highest in the team), and averages an inside 50 every 3.3 possessions (best in the team).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If McGovern is fit and in form he is a difference maker for Carlton.

Has the highest Metres Gained per Disposal (24m) of anyone in the team, goes at 75% by foot (equal second highest in the team), and averages an inside 50 every 3.3 possessions (best in the team).

But but but......whipping boy!

Oh well back to Newnes and Kennedy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny that people want guys like Dow and especially Marchbank to come in after very little footy

Give them a block of games before getting them in

Blocks of games playing Little League?

We've only a few games left for the season. Get the guys that genuinely have something to offer back into the main team.
Even without the injuries, Dow and Marchbank were still part of our best starting team. What's the worst that can happen?

Funny that people want guys like Dow and especially Marchbank to come in after very little footy

Give them a block of games before getting them in
Do we have a block of games to give them?

But then again you didn't think Fish could snap a goal. ;)

And I am not sure how you are going to get him to "physically and mentally dominate" when he can only play "in a bastardisation of the game with grounds 40m shorter or 30m narrower than normal (although from the footage it was only a shorter ground for part of the game), with no wingers, and some really ordinary forward structures." To me he gives us something we really need, a bit more speed and energy around the stoppage, with finals gone (need to win 6 of 7 from here), him being BOG and Martin & Cuningham being injured means the planets align for him.

I was pleasantly surprised by Fish, looked to be making a conscious effort not to overkick it which was undoubtedly a factor in some of the shanks I recall. Hearing Teague post-game talk about how they've made a decision to convert him to a small forward, and Fisher's initial reluctance but subsequent endeavour, has me very happy indeed. If we're going to play mids as small forwards, they need to train as small forwards. Under Bolton there seemed to be an attitude that we could just throw spare mids in the forward line and they'd make a fist of it.

Still think holding Dow back this season would be to his benefit. In the scratch matches, he can continue to work on stoppage craft and defensive work to round out his game, and another preseason should have him physically ready to go toe to toe with some of the other contested mids at senior level.

I think there's a danger in rushing him back after a couple of good showings in drastically different match conditions. Odds are he is OK at best, makes some errors, and public pressure mounts again. And I don't think we can afford another mid who doesn't run hard both ways. Highlight reels don't show that, so I'm going off his historical underperformance in this area - if he's dramatically improved that part of his game maybe it's workable.

The silver lining is that we still have Adelaide, Freo, GC and Sydney still to come, All winnable games.

Get an upset win over Collingwood and GWS and finals is still possible. Can’t drop anymore 50/50s though.

Highly unlikely but possible
We should realistically go 7-7 coming up. Freo off a 5 day break. We are off a 6.5 day break. Then we go into GC off another 6 while the suns get 4 days. We also get experience back in mckay McGovern Cuningham and Dow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back